Internet use and the Sabbath

Is it permissable to use the internet upon the Sabbath?

• Yes

Votes: 37 86.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the interet Sunday morning to watch a live service in Ireland from a Free Presbyterian church and Sunday afternoon to catch the service from 1rst Baptist in Muscle Schoals Alabama with Jeff Noblit preaching. We use the internet on Sunday afternoons as a family to listen to preaching.

For what purpose? I think you need to define some parameters. Your question is to ambiguous.

I kept it thus to see what people would say. I am not so much thinkning about what it is used for but whether it is right to be used at all. I was told that people have to work to keep the internet running. Hence seeing we should not eat out upon the Sabbath because it will cause people to work should we be using the internet, whether to listen to sermons or to discuss on PB? :candle:

For what purpose? I think you need to define some parameters. Your question is to ambiguous.

I kept it thus to see what people would say. I am not so much thinkning about what it is used for but whether it is right to be used at all. I was told that people have to work to keep the internet running. Hence seeing we should not eat out upon the Sabbath because it will cause people to work should we be using the internet, whether to listen to sermons or to discuss on PB? :candle:

That helps.

If you're not a sabbatarian then all things are permissible.

Internet, a non theological book, a movie, a football game, a picnic, whatever recreation you've chosen to endeavor upon for the afternoon.

I believe Christ is my rest and not some specific day, yes He meets us in communion at church and in fellowship but my conscience is not pricked nor burdened by watching a football game or reading a book on a Sunday afternoon.

Is it permissible to use the internet upon the Sabbath?

It is permissible for things that are permissible on the Sabbath. I would not read a University textbook on the Lord's day, but I would read a book on theology or something devotional. The same rule applies to websites.

:deadhorse:

Somebody has to work to supply electricity to you church on the Lord's day. I never given it much thought though before now. The internet has allowed me to have 'church' all the time.

Somebody has to work to supply electricity to you church on the Lord's day. I never given it much thought though before now. The internet has allowed me to have 'church' all the time.

I think we're straining at gnats... do you all have running water in your restrooms at your church buildings? Do you have electrical power to power lights, or heat in winter, or A/C in summer? Maybe the only way to be a strict sabbatarian is to hold worship outside in a field?

The temptation is too great to use the internet and computer for other things not pertaining to Biblical/Theological reasons on the Sabbath.

Personally, I find my computer and internet something that can become an idol for me, as I well assume for many of you. Therefore, Sunday is a good day to keep that in check and focus on God.

The temptation is too great to use the internet and computer for other things not pertaining to Biblical/Theological reasons on the Sabbath.

Personally, I find my computer and internet something that can become an idol for me, as I well assume for many of you. Therefore, Sunday is a good day to keep that in check and focus on God.

:up:

Principally I would say, No. Like it or lump it, computers are generally associated in our minds with work or play. Also, the body works hard to use a computer, even if it's only the eyes; and the body requires proper rest for one day in seven, where it doesn't even have to think about work. Pastorally, though, I would be inclined to look at the subject from a number of different angles rather than give a blanket "No" answer.

Steel mills cannot be shut down on the Sabbath. Likewise on electricity or air-conditioner. I understand what you are getting at, but those are osme things to keep in mind.

Of course it's OK. I regularly view live feeds from a few different reformed churches on Sunday afternoon. Surely that can't be a violation.

If your phone rings on Sunday is it a sin to pick it up?

What if somebody is in your town on a Sunday and they want to visit your Church but need directions. Is it a sin that they used the WWW to find your Church?

I don't consider a medium a sin. It's what you do over that medium that constitutes a sin.

I don't consider a medium a sin. It's what you do over that medium that constitutes a sin.

In this particular instance the commandment includes the medium since the positive precept of rest cannot be kept without also desisting from mediums which are employed for work -- "nor thy cattle."

In this particular instance the commandment includes the medium since the positive precept of rest cannot be kept without also desisting from mediums which are employed for work -- "nor thy cattle."

This is where you and I will have to disagree. The cattle needs rest, a road doesn't. The internet is no more simply a medium for work than air is a medium for work simply because sound waves modulate over it when business is conducted between two men.

This is where you and I will have to disagree. The cattle needs rest, a road doesn't. The internet is no more simply a medium for work than air is a medium for work simply because sound waves modulate over it when business is conducted between two men.

Do we "have to" disagree? :) It is clear the animals are being seen as property, as in the tenth commandment. As Calvin comments, "Let us marke that it is not done for the brute beastes sake: but to the intent that men shoulde have a monument before their eyes, to bee the more touched therewith." (Sermons on Deuteronomy, 207.)

Do we "have to" disagree? :) It is clear the animals are being seen as property, as in the tenth commandment. As Calvin comments, "Let us marke that it is not done for the brute beastes sake: but to the intent that men shoulde have a monument before their eyes, to bee the more touched therewith." (Sermons on Deuteronomy, 207.)

I'm afraid we must if you are not going to agree with me. ;)

I'm up to the 3rd Commandment on Durham's exposition of the Ten Commandments. When I get to the 4th Commandment then I'll have more to say.

I don't own the Internet any more than I own the phone. I think the medium can be used in a way that does not turn aside to our own way on the Lord's day.

I don't own the Internet any more than I own the phone. I think the medium can be used in a way that does not turn aside to our own way on the Lord's day.

Well, however we stand related to services which we purchase, Calvin's wisdom applies: we ought to sanctify these to the Lord also, and make them monuments of the Lord's rest. Blessings!

Somebody has to work to supply electricity to you church on the Lord's day.

True, however some things are essential, is going online a necessity? Further, do people have to work on a Sabbath to maintain servers etc if we use the internet (I am not sure if that is true)? Works of mercy and necessity are lawful upon the Sabbath and them alone.

Still thinking out loud.

:cheers:

Somebody has to work to supply electricity to you church on the Lord's day.

True, however some things are essential, is going online a necessity? Further, do people have to work on a Sabbath to maintain servers etc if we use the internet (I am not sure if that is true)? Works of mercy and necessity are lawful upon the Sabbath and them alone.

Still thinking out loud.

:cheers:

True the internet is not essential, but neither are many other things you do on the sabbath. The sabbath is made for man. Anything,in my opinion, is lawful if it is used for the glory of God and the edification of the saints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back