Intertextuality and the letters of Paul - How to approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoyoceramic

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings friends,

I was introduced to Intertextuality by a friend of mine, and I am not quite sure how to judge it or use it. He showed me a few examples, which opened up a new way of engaging with the letters of Paul, and so I am wondering if I should look at this as a whole new hermeneutic paradigm shift for me. I knew that the NT uses the OT, but all of these "echos" if you will, are fascinating to me, and so I am trying to discern how to engage with them.

How does the student of the Bible understand Paul knowing that Paul is using the scriptures in his addresses to the new Jewish and Gentile people of God?

How do the contexts of the original OT texts inform how we are to understand what the original hearer of the text would have thought? Many thanks, and I would love your thoughts.

Here are a few examples:

Romans 1v16 / Isaiah 28:16 LXX
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek."

"Behold, I lay for the foundations of Sion a costly stone, a choice, a corner-stone, a precious stone, for its foundations; and he that believes on him shall by no means be ashamed. "​

Romans 1v17 / PS 98:2 LXX
"17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed..."

"2 The Lord has made known his salvation, he has revealed his righteousness in the sight of the nations."​

Romans 1v17 / Hab 2:4 LXX
"...as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.” "

If he should draw back, my soul has no pleasure in him: but the just shall live by my faith.​

Romans 1v23 / Ps 106:19LXX
"...and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things."

"And they made a calf in Choreb, and worshipped the graven image, 20 and they changed their glory into the similitude of a calf that feeds on grass. "​

Great - I just ordered it through my public library branch through their inter library loan program. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back