Intinction Paper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jessica,

I suggest you read the paper because both examples you cited are not exegetically sound.

In the first place, Christ did not dip the bread into wine but a mixture of spices as was the practice during the Passover meal. This was not during the Lord's Supper but when he was identifying who the betrayer was.

Let me leave that aside for the moment and follow the logic that Christ was administering the Lord's Supper by dipping bread into wine and giving it to His disciples. Was Judas the only one who received the Supper? In other words, if the Lord's Supper was being distributed to all the disciples then how would Christ distributing a dipped piece of bread identify Judas in particular?

In the second example, why is the fact that Boaz invites Ruth to dip bread into wine (vinegar in the Hebrew) a support for the Lord's Supper? This is not during a Passover meal or any other feast day.

As for being "biblical" nobody is claiming that there are not examples, therefore, of individuals dipping bread into something and consuming it, the question is whether, just because we see it elsewhere, it is how a particular meal is to be observed. When Christ (and later Paul) specifically notes a sequence of events that are to occur we cannot ignore plain language and import whatever else we might see in the Scriptures to infer that what they say clearly may be overthrown by inference. As I noted previously, Christ and Paul specifically reflect on the significance of each action and its spiritual union with what is signified by it.

Finally, I'm certain your husband will note that germs are not merely carried by saliva but by the fingers as well. It's the reason we tell our kids to wash their hands before supper.

I did not say intinction was the correct administration because it is not.
I said I do not practice it nor do I believe it is Confessional or Reformed.
I was just sharing that one can say it is incorrect without saying it is unbiblical.
In the stub it said that the paper would try to prove intinction is unbiblical.
I was only sharing what came to mind.
My husband has no problem with one bread or one cup. If the LORD allows us to get sick from partaking of the Lord's Supper so be it (He hadn't yet). This is why I said that appealing doesn't mean "correct"

That said, when I heard of the practice of dipping a broken piece of a common loaf of bread into the a common cup of wine, I found it far more Biblical than individual disposable cups of grape juice and crackers/wafers (unlevened bread).
I did not say intinction was the correct administration because it is not.
Jessica,

I was responding to your observations that "dipping a broken piece of a common loaf of bread into a common up...is far more Biblical."

You then cited two examples, which were dealt with in the paper. I was trying to summarize the exegetical issues surrounding those examples because you had concluded that dipping was "...far more Biblical."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back