Intro into paedobaptism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quickened

Puritan Board Senior
I was wondering what you thought of "Why do we Baptize infants?" by Bryan Chapell? Evidently when i was collecting the booklets from the basics of the reformed faith series i acquired this one.

Lately the topic has been on my mind. I came to the credo position on my own for the most part. I was interesting in studying to trying to figure out where paedos are coming from.

So i guess i am wondering if this is good intro material and if other material could possibly be recommended.

I kind of wanted to start a thread where i could openly dialogue with paedo believers but i feel as though i wouldnt really know where to start. All i really know is my understanding of the credo position.

I was wondering what you thought of "Why do we Baptize infants?" by Bryan Chapell?

[...]

So i guess i am wondering if this is good intro material and if other material could possibly be recommended.

I haven't read "Why do we Baptize infants" so I can't comment on how good it is. But when I started studying the topic there were two articles that stood out above the others:

A Contemporary Reformed Defense of Infant Baptism by Prof. R. Scott Clark

and

My Retraction: A 15 Year Baptist Turns Paedo-Baptist and Becomes Reformed By Dr. C. Matthew McMahon

Of course Monergism has enough articles on the topic to keep you busy for a while also: Monergism :: Paedobaptism - Covenant Infant Baptism

I pray that the Lord guides you as you begin to study the topic.

Blessings,

"Why do we Baptize infants?" by Bryan Chapell is very good.

Another good "booklet" on the subject is

What Christian Parents Should Know About Infant Baptism by John P. Sartelle (P & R Publishing), 1985.

Thank you gentlemen! I appreciate your insight.

I haven't taken the time to honestly and prayerfully look at this perspective. There is much i still have left to learn to I am trying to go through topics where i am lacking and tackle them one at a time.

When i first came to know Christ I joined a protestant message board so i could sit back and just read different opinions and compare them to the scriptures myself. In this particular case it wasnt a fair comparison because 1) the board was predominately credo in its views. 2) Infant baptism was usually compared to the Roman Catholic baptism. Being a former Catholic i wanted to stay far away from that.

Anyways there have been some discussions that are prompting me to look at what i believe and what scripture really does show.

Again i appreciate your willingness to provide links and dialogue with me! I will be slowly going through some stuff and then occasionally coming back here in this thread.

As I recall, the booklet is Chapell's chapter in The Case for Covenantal Infant Baptism, edited by Gregg Strawbridge. His contribution is a decent overview of the position. Obviously, for a more in-depth examination of the subject, you would want to look at something longer than a booklet. My own recommendation would be Robert Wilson's Infant Baptism a Scriptural Service, and Dipping Unnecessary to Its Right Administration (Infant Baptism: A Scriptural Service ... - Google Book Search).

Thanks for the recommendation Sean!

After reading that booklet i decided that i probably need a more thorough understanding of covenant theology. Because my understanding is probably quite basic. I do have michael hortons book on the subject. Then after that i will probably bounce back to reading and asking more here so i can further understand.

Again i earnestly thank you all for your time and patience with me as i learn and grow here :)

The only thing I have to say, is when I was coming to the subject, my understanding of Covenant theology was that of a baptist. I think the best way to come to baptism is to first understand what scripture teaches regarding the covenants and covenant theology. in my opinion, this was pivital for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back