Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentonbcleveland

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello, my name is Trenton; I am currently a campus minister serving in the Pacific Northwest with the Baptist Collegiate Network. For a while (4ish years), I have considered myself an excellent 1689er Baptist once I was introduced to the "meat," as it were of the Scriptures and theology proper. As of late (past six months), I have sensed a growing tension between myself and the SBC (pastors, lay leaders, and administrative staff) regarding my convictions. With this in mind, I have been searching more fervently into ideas like church polity, the sacraments, and Christian liberty. During this search, I have found myself starting to lean much more towards Presbyterianism in regards to these things and look forward to any interaction on the forum that will help me discern these convictions further (as well as meeting with pastors and elders IRL, lol)

I look forward to interacting with yall!

C. M. Sheffield

Puritan Board Graduate
Hello and welcome, Trenton. It is a blesing to have you on the board. With regard to what you have said, please don't let your experience with Southern Baptists (who are NOT at all reformed) cloud matters of doctrine and practice. Strive rather to come to a clear understanding of what the Scriptures actually say on this matter. Do that, and I'm sure your baptistic convictions will remain intact.

Gwallard

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome, Trenton! I look forward to your good questions! Thank you for your good work up in the Northwest - how is it up there? I hear it is a difficult area to work, perhaps especially on a college campus. I'm originally from California, and my whole family now resides in the NW and Idaho, but I've been gone for over a decade. What are the current struggles of an American student and a reformed campus minister in the Pacific NW?

trentonbcleveland

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome, Trenton! I look forward to your good questions! Thank you for your good work up in the Northwest - how is it up there? I hear it is a difficult area to work, perhaps especially on a college campus. I'm originally from California, and my whole family now resides in the NW and Idaho, but I've been gone for over a decade. What are the current struggles of an American student and a reformed campus minister in the Pacific NW?
Oof, where to start, lol. I am from South Texas and am used to doing collegiate ministry down there. It is much different since almost everyone I deal with in Texas is either culturally evangelical or culturally RC. There is a lot more in the way of postmodern thought here, and you have to be very tactful, I think, in evangelism since many have the view of the church that the media have perpetuated (e.g., hates LGBTQ, etc.). Despite this, God has blessed me with a handful of guys who continue to be active in their local churches, desiring to know the Lord more, and seeking opportunities to evangelize to their friends, co-workers, and classmates. So we don't get those "wow 200 people showed up to our movie night" events here as I feel is common in Bible Belt collegiate ministry; it is much more in the vein of, "wow, God has given me a couple of students to invest in spiritually this semester."

Edward

Puritanboard Commissioner
Greetings @trentonbcleveland . I would urge discernment in interactions with PCA churches in the Pacific Northwest. Looks like there are a couple of OPC churches in the Portland area, and an RP church. There are probably some PCA churches worth considering.

There are areas of the country with outstanding PCA churches and pastors.

Beoga

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome!

Former PCA guy myself in Vancouver. If you are looking for a place to worship Sunday evenings I would love to invite you to Peace URC in Vancouver. We meet 6pm at Living Water.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
Welcome brother! My current advice for you, and I'm sure you already know, would be to keep all your current relationships healthy, finding unity in the gospel, while deeply loving those around you despite any differences. May your current friends remain lifelong friends even if you eventually part ways theologically.

trentonbcleveland

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings @trentonbcleveland . I would urge discernment in interactions with PCA churches in the Pacific Northwest. Looks like there are a couple of OPC churches in the Portland area, and an RP church. There are probably some PCA churches worth considering.

Do you or anyone on here warn against any PCA churches in PDX?

trentonbcleveland

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome!

Former PCA guy myself in Vancouver. If you are looking for a place to worship Sunday evenings I would love to invite you to Peace URC in Vancouver. We meet 6pm at Living Water.
Awesome! I appreciate the welcome I just emailed y'alls pastor, and Lord willing, I will try and visit this Sunday.

trentonbcleveland

Puritan Board Freshman

Ya, so overall, I have emailed all 6 PCA churches, 1 RUF, 2 URCNA, and 2 OPC churches in the area. So far, two elders from the two PCA churches, one pastor from a PCA church, and the RUF guy in Corvallis have agreed to meet with me.

Sorry if this is overkill; my experience in the past has shown that churches have a hard time following up with me, so I am casting a wide net. :lol:

dhh712

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome to the forum Trenton!

@Ryan&Amber2013 Thank you for the words I can't quite come up with at 2am prior to farmer's market! I was going to say I was converted while reading the Westminster Confessions of Faith so I have that Presbyterian bias : ) Yet unity in the gospel is the most important as you've so beautifully described. I think it is well however to come to a conviction regarding the "gray areas" (for lack of a better word since my vocabulary is a bit non-existent at the moment)--I have a ways to go with that myself! Looking forward to the interactions with you and the others here, Trent and I'm sure we can both learn a lot!

Last edited:

Edward

Puritanboard Commissioner
@trentonbcleveland Among the PCA crowd, be alert for Doug Wilson / Federal Vision influences. They were making inroads in PNW a few years ago, although I haven't kept up with more recent goings-on. Given the socio-political views up there, you might keep an eye out for social liberalism, as well.

trentonbcleveland

Puritan Board Freshman
@trentonbcleveland Among the PCA crowd, be alert for Doug Wilson / Federal Vision influences. They were making inroads in PNW a few years ago, although I haven't kept up with more recent goings-on. Given the socio-political views up there, you might keep an eye out for social liberalism, as well.
Oof, on the FV stuff, I need to keep my antennae up for that. As for social liberalism, I think I have grown rather adept at spotting that, and it has been refreshing since, in my interaction with the SBC crowd up here, it has seemed to be absent (I may be wrong). Either way, I will keep these things in mind. Thank you!

Jake

Puritan Board Senior
The most troublesome PCA church in Portland area went into the RCA a few years back, but I'm sure its influence is still felt.

Smeagol

Puritan Board Senior
@trentonbcleveland I have a dear friend who is a minister in Portland , Oregon @ a PCA congregation. His name is Adam Parker. Have you by chance reached out to him? Evergreen Presbyterian Church in Beaverton, Oregon.
If you are in that area I highly recommend you reach out. Adam is a great friend & minister. He also helped me greatly to cut my teeth on Presbyterianism as I moved over from the SBC as well. Send me a private message if interested and I can put you guys in touch.

Last edited:

trentonbcleveland

Puritan Board Freshman
@trentonbcleveland I have a dear friend who is a minister in Portland , Oregon @ a PCA congregation. His name is Adam Parker. Have you by chance reached out to him? Evergreen Presbyterian Church in Beaverton, Oregon.
If you are in that area I highly recommend you reach out. Adam is a great friend & minister. He also helped me greatly to cut my teeth on Presbyterianism as I moved over from the SBC as well. Send me a private message if interested and I can put you guys in touch.
Just as I got your response on here, he emailed me back. I'm hopefully going to visit either tomorrow or next Sunday, and he wanted me to swing by his office on Wednesday to talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.