Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher Robin

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings from lake Park, a little spot in the rural outskirts of Valdosta, Georgia. Mrs. Robin and I currently serve (not as an "office holder") at Covenant Baptist Church in Valdosta, which I found on the Founders.org web site. During our three years here, I have come to finally understand the paedobaptist position, based on Covenant Theology. I find myself now in the awkward position of being a newly converted paedobaptist in a credobaptist church. It's probably not unusual, but I think it kinda-sorta matters in the long run.

Christ met me at the age of 8, through a Good News Club that met after school in a house across the street. Adoption by the Father offered a lot of comfort to this autistic foster kid, and having Jesus as my "Big Brother" has seen me through not only the usual stuff, but some of the unique situations that come with being the only Christian in a pagan household (until a couple of siblings were converted years later).

Al few years in, the Enemy laid a trap that held me in superstition and futility for over twenty years. "Power from on High" has great appeal to a powerless, abused foster kid, and the Charismatic movement pretended to offer not only "the power," but proof of God's approval with the sign of speaking in tongues. It wasn't until the false promises of "Charismania" had failed me a zillion and twelve times that I finally sought out a strictly bible-based, back-to-basic Christian experience. What can I say, I'm a slow learner. During that little journey I started an e-mail Listerv group on YahooGroups for anyone like me who was trying to find their way back to simple, practical, biblical faith, from the brink of Charismatic ruin. I named the group ExCharisma and in a couple of years, my goodness, there were hundreds of us studying the Scriptures together to find our way back to sanity and certainty. It was amazing! And it's where I "discovered" and shared the doctrines of grace, which had also been "recovered" after a different time of superstition and corruption.

Mrs. Robin and I are now grandparents, and very proud of our daughter and her husband, who are missionaries with Ethnos360 (formerly known as New Tribes Mission) and our son, a Cavalry Scout in the US Army for a good start on a career in Law Enforcement. Mrs. Robin teaches juvenile offenders with special needs at one of the State prisons, and I drive a flatbed truck now, following a 30-year career as a Firefighter/Paramedic. I really don't think I'll ever actually retire since I enjoy what I do and I'm good at it. Same with Mrs. Robin.

Grace and peace!

Edward

Puritanboard Commissioner
I had a case in Valdosta a few years ago. On my way back to the Jacksonville airport, I'd stop in Lake Park to get barbecue at Sonny's. Until it disappeared.

Does the high school football program recruit in north Florida these days?

Christopher Robin

Puritan Board Freshman
Edward, I don't think the football team can legally cross state lines to recruit players, but I bet it still happens here and there. We lost Sonny's Barbecue, but gained The Farmhouse, which is a smaller, down-home, locally run version of Cracker Barrel where lots of locals eat. Next time you're in town that's the place to go.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

dhh712

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings, Robin! I enjoyed reading about your walk with Jesus over the years of your life and "conversion" to the Reformed faith. My husband, who is now at peace with the Lord Jesus, also was in the Charismatic church until he began to study the Scriptures on his own and realized the doctrines of grace and God's sovereignty.

Status
Not open for further replies.