Invictus

Status
Not open for further replies.

tellville

Puritan Board Junior
This looks pretty good:

[video=youtube;AqKjVo-9qso]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqKjVo-9qso[/video]

The Devil offered a World Cup to South Africa in return for democracy, and the Christians accepted. Yes, I was cheering along with the rest of the country, and went ballistic when we won. But was it worth it?

OK, one paragraph can't even begin to deal with the subject.

The Devil offered a World Cup to South Africa in return for democracy, and the Christians accepted. Yes, I was cheering along with the rest of the country, and went ballistic when we won. But was it worth it?

Can you please elaborate?

No, I can't distill 9 years into a couple of paragraphs ;-) But I am very sure the Afrikaners sold their souls for a stupid rugby match.

Invictus" is a short poem by the British poet William Ernest Henley. The title is Latin for "unconquered". It was first published in 1875.

OUT of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

No, I can't distill 9 years into a couple of paragraphs ;-) But I am very sure the Afrikaners sold their souls for a stupid rugby match.

I'm so confused.

I have to agree - what are you talking about???? Are you saying the South Africans sold their souls to the devil so as to end Apartheid and win the Rugby World Cup????

Yes. Afrikaners are sports mad, and during Sanctions they didn't get to participate like they wanted internationally. The first Olympic boycott wasn't President Carter's brilliant idea to boycott the Moscow Olympics to protest the Soviets invading Afghanistan to crack down on the movement we now call the Taliban.

The first Olympic boycott was by some African countries to protest New Zealand playing SA in rugby the year before. You see, SA wasn't allowed to play other countries even outside of the Olympics. North Korea, China, Uganda, Saudi Arabia... all those countries were fine, and embraced by the world community and SA wasn't. I mean all those other countries did was murder Christians, give no one the vote, destroy whole languages and cultures... nothing as important as telling different ethnic groups that they could only vote in their own areas...

So, it was a constant pressure on SA.....more to come. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back