Is 1 Peter 2:10 an allusion to Hosea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jash Comstock

Puritan Board Freshman
I just finished reading 1 Peter, and noticed in a distinct way the Jewishness of his epistle. He quotes the prophets a ton, and makes what would seem to be several allusions to the O.T. Do you all believe 1:peter 2:10 to be an allusion to Hosea? What other allusions to the O.T are found in 1 Peter? I feel like understanding his O.T allusions will give me a huge step in better digesting this rich epistle.

Yes I believe it is a reference to Hosea, and actually the Greek word that is translated as "people" in 1 Peter 2:10 is almost always used in the Septuagint to refer to Israel.

Yes, an undisputed allusion. In particular, First Peter echoes numerous "restoration" themes in the prophets which were originally preparing the way for a return from exile. The most obvious is the "dispersion" identity of the readers and their pilgrim life. The Pauline terms of grace and salvation as present realities in Christ are, in Petrine terms, future expectations. This is not contradictory as it highlights the now-not yet situation of believers. Furthermore, for Paul these concepts are operating in the sphere of "faith," while Peter sees them in the sphere of "hope." In this way believers in Christ are cemented as the true heirs of exile looking for restoration at the second coming of Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back