Is 2 Timothy 1:10 an ordo salutis passage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fralo4truth

Puritan Board Freshman
"But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:"

In the discussion surrounding the order or God's work versus our own turn to him in repentance and faith, can one argue that life preceeds light or understanding, from this passage? I do not think so. I do not think that Paul is inscribing an ordo salutis passage here. While some may argue that in the new birth experience God gives life before the sinner has any "mental light" of God, I do not think this text can be used as support for that claim.

The few writers I have consulted seem to feel that objective revelation, and not experimental, is under consideration. And I agree. Paul is not saying that the gospel brings understanding or light to one who already is in possession of eternal life; rather that the doctrinal subjects of life and immortality are more fully revealed in the NT era.

Do you know of any writer who makes an experimental application of the text, and argues that life preceeds light in regeneration?

I would appreciate any thoughts of your own as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back