Is "By Jove" a minced oath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufus

Puritan Board Junior
Is it? Jove being the Pagan god Jupiter, I actually think that by blaspheming Jove we are asserting his non-existence and so forth.

And if so, is reading P.G. Wodehouse then a sin?

That's something of a difficult question. Formally, it's not minced because it's not toned down in any way. If you were a serious Roman polytheist swearing to confirm the truth of a statement you might say something like that. Of course, used in a context where no one actually believes in Jove it may functionally be a minced oath - a mild (because disbelieved) replacement for swearing by the name of the true God. I would take it that this is how the people Wodehouse writes of actually used it: not intending a statement about paganism at all, simply trying to express their feelings without running too obviously afoul of reverence for the Lord's name.

Blasphemy is more complex than simply asserting non-existence. Blasphemy can involve a sort of deliberate challenge, where you are saying that the object of your blasphemy does not exist or at any rate is powerless to uphold the honor of his name. But in certain cases (casual blasphemy comes to mind) it also involves a recognition that the object of blasphemy is of significance for you, that it belongs to your culture. Swearing by the name of the Lord is a mark of the restoration of true religion; swearing casually by that name is an indication that true religion is in decay, but still recognized. Swearing seriously by the name of another god is idolatry (and secondarily blasphemy), because it formally violates the first commandment; swearing lightly by the name of God is blasphemy, because it violates the third commandment.

The line from that to reading P.G. Wodehouse being a sin is not quite so straightforward, however. It will depend on your view of literature in general, and what is permissible and not, and in what quantities, and to what end.

I grew up in the habit of saying "gosh" by way of an all-purpose exclamation, but a few years ago a friend alerted me to the fact that it caused offence to her little girl, since it was an obvious euphemism (not the word the little girl used). It hadn't even occurred to me before but it was obviously true, so I stopped saying it.
I would have said that "by Jove" was a euphemism in a very similar way, and the same with all those ingenious phrases that just happen to have the initial letters j and c.

I'd say evaluate this one according to Conscience and Scripture, "Meat unto idols."

If your theology permits you to swear by a false god, go ahead and use the phrase. I wouldn't count it as a minced oath, but rather a violation of the First Commandment, not the Third. I'd refer you to question and answer 105 of the Larger Catechism.

If your theology permits you to swear by a false god, go ahead and use the phrase. I wouldn't count it as a minced oath, but rather a violation of the First Commandment, not the Third. I'd refer you to question and answer 105 of the Larger Catechism.

But it's mocking and showing disbelief to a false God.

But it's mocking and showing disbelief to a false God.
it may be if you say it with that conscious understanding, but don't most people use it (the ones who use it at all) just as a substitute for the more standard thoughtless blasphemy?

Upon reflection, my original post was too narrow. In addition to the invocation of a false god, there are also oath taking implications. I'd also reference WCF 22:2

"II. The name of God only is that by which men ought to swear, and therein it is to be used with all holy fear and reverence.Therefore, to swear vainly, or rashly, by that glorious and dreadful Name; or, to swear at all by any other thing, is sinful, and to be abhorred....

I'm sorry... this may be a stupid question... but who gets to define what a minced oath is? Who defines it? Is it prohibited in the Bible, if so, where? I don't think one's conscience should be bound on a made-up objection (if, indeed, it is made up). Is saying something like "Oh my gosh/goodness" or "By jove" or "holy moley" taking an oath or swearing? BTW, this is a serious question, not a snide post.

Mrs. Rothenbuhler, I see statements like yours above brought in to a variety of contexts, so I'd like to take this opportunity to make a remark about that. "Godliness" is not defined by "what godly people do or think." As the old saw goes, the best of men are men at best. Since we all have fairly generous portions of indwelling sin remaining in us, since God sanctifies us all at different rates and with a differing order of treatment, and since the amount of thought put into something and the amount of light received on it vary from person to person, it is always inadequate to say, "Well X does or says so and so, so it must not be outside the pale." The conclusion doesn't follow. A man after God's own heart was also capable of adultery, murder, and bad parenting. While we rejoice in the truth that an overall pattern of godliness is not destroyed by an occasional lapse or the existence of a blind spot, it does not mean that the lapses and blind spots can be considered as part and parcel of godliness, or even as in principle consistent with it. David was godly - but not when it came to Uriah. A generally godly person who holds to an ungodly position on that point is not godly, even if the existence of that sin or blind spot does not overthrow the whole work of grace.

Or to put it more succinctly, such cases must be decided on the merits not by a comparison of the advocates.

Last edited:
There are two parts to a "minced oath." The "minced" part, and the "oath" part.

"Minced" means "trying to reduce the force of." It also has connotations of being affected in pretense of delicacy. A minced oath is therefore an oath that the speaker is trying to make seem not like an oath, or trying to make it an inoffensive oath.

"By Jove" is clearly an oath, even if a mocking one. It is calling upon a false god. And it may not be taking the name of the True God, but it is an oath in vain nonetheless.

And Jesus taught us that making oaths is a serious matter, not to be trifled with. He criticized the blind guides who tried to come up with distinctions between valid and invalid oaths in Matthew 23:16 and following.

Is it prohibited in the Bible, if so, where?

The Ten Commandments.

I'd suggest that you start with them, and the Westminster Larger Catechism's explication in Questions 99-148, and the accompanying scripture proofs. Westminster Larger Catechism 91-150

This is the kind of response that bugs me. I ask a serious question, then get a wide open "The Ten Commandments". How condescending! That's akin to me asking someone where they are right now and they respond "on planet Earth." I've read those before, and have never come across the part which defines and explains minced oaths, at least not in most of the examples I gave above. I could see how "By Jove" could be considered taking an oath or swearing, but in the other examples I gave, I do not (i.e. "oh my goodness" or "gosh").

Is "Jove" a pagan god (I have never heard that expression, BTW, I just inserted it into my post because it was the example used in the OP)? It seems to me for some, it could cause offense because it could sound as a replacement for swearing, possibly. It is certainly not the intention with which I use it. It is simply an exclamatory phrase, with no hidden meaning. Is there an inspired list of "minced oaths" or is that left up to each believer/community of believers in each language to make those calls?

Also, you "cite" 49 catechism questions for me to review. Do they all speak on minced oaths? Not helpful, Edward.

Victor, your response was more in line with what I was looking for, and I see your point with the "by Jove" phrase (and again, I have never heard of that phrase before). But, how about my other examples?

This issue interested me, because one day, while listening to Wretched Radio, Todd Friel was going through a whole list of supposed "minced oaths" and it seemed to me to fall into the "binding another's conscious" realm.

Also, you "cite" 49 catechism questions for me to review. Do they all speak on minced oaths? Not helpful, Edward.

Up thread, I referenced the Question and answers and the portion of the confession that directly address your question. Since you seemed unfamiliar with our confessional standards, I do commend to your attention the entire section on the 10 Commandments.

Your initial question suggest a lack of understanding of the difference between taking the name of the Lord in vain (minced oath) and swearing by a false god (idolatry).

But, since you want it spelled out, start with

Thou shall have no other gods before me
Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain

These are specifically dealt with in 103 - 106 and 111-114.

In addition, since it swearing by 'something', Chapter 22 of the Westminster Confession is implicated. Chapter XXII

Surely it is not too much to ask of a sincere seeker to read 17 questions and answers, and 7 short paragraphs of the Confession, and take a glance at the scriptural support.

As a member of the PCA, you are not required to subscribe to the confessional documents. You have, however, taken an oath to uphold the peace and purity of the church and "that you will endeavor to live as is proper for the followers of Christ". That means guarding your tongue (and pen).

You might also search the PB. We've had discussions of this question before. Just type 'minced oath' in the site search box.

I know it's best to be on the safe side, but I'd be very happy to be assured that "holy moley" is ok to say.
For some reason it's always really amused me :D

I'm sorry, but I don't understand that comment.

Edward the two links provided by Wayne are spot on and to refuse to take a few minutes to read them not only despises proffered help but invites rehashing points that have been answered.

Perhaps it is safest to retrain our tongues to say "eek" and "ow" and "argh" and "aahh" and "um" and "hmm" and "uh" and "whoa". In cases when we need a longer phrase, how about "oh my heart!" (as in shock/excitement/astonishment could cause your heart to skip a beat?) or you know, I'm sure there are other satisfactory phrases we could think up.

There are some sounds/words which are considered by some to be minced oaths but others may view them as pure sounds. Perhaps in one region/country it's used more in one way than the other. So we can learn from one another, both to avoid certain words and to be gracious in our assumptions when we run across a random person in the street who utters something slightly questionable. Personally I wince when I hear "Yikes" but had always thought of "gee" (both hard and soft g) as some kind of American word similar to "um". As in a sound made to tell someone you heard their question and are responding but need to think a bit. I see that link says golly is an euphemism for God. If I thought about it at all, I would associate it with golliwogs. So I learnt something :)

Joanna, you have hit upon the problem I have with the "minced oaths" idea, in that anyone can decide what a minced oath is, and then condemn you for saying it. If not actually condemn you, then they can and sometimes do sort of shun you or decide you are a weaker brother or ignorant or not sanctified enough or whatever.

I have mentioned in another thread that I have been seriously told, by an ordained man(!), that I should not use any interjection that starts with any letter that would be a minced oath. Therefore, for example, I should not say "Aha!" because there are bad words that start with "A." I should not say, "Bother!" because there are bad words that begin with "B." I should not say "Crimeny!" because there are bad words that begin with "C." And so on.

In point of fact I say Aha, Bother and Criminy all the time, and I use interjections a lot, as I am a very expressive person and I love language. I particularly love English and descriptive words and unique adjectives and precise nouns. My emotions are generally strong and I express them (except when I discern that they are sinful emotions.) Anyone who knows me can attest to that. So I am not pretending to be that way so that I can enjoying pretending to swear or some such nonsense.

Edward the two links provided by Wayne are spot on and to refuse to take a few minutes to read them not only despises proffered help but invites rehashing points that have been answered.

Thanks, I agree that they are directly on point. But when folks start talking about 'made up objections' it's probably time to go not to tracts, but to scripture, and I find the Confession and Catechisms to be one of the best indexes out there. So it wasn't intended as a discourtesy to Mr. Sparkman and his efforts on this thread to head a different direction.

One of the most relevant sections of the Westminster Larger Catechism would be Question 113, on the third commandment :

Q. 113. What are the sins forbidden in the third commandment?
A. The sins forbidden in the third commandment are, the not using of God’s name as is
required;579 and the abuse of it in an ignorant,580 vain,581 irreverent, profane,582 superstitious583
or wicked mentioning or otherwise using his titles, attributes,584 ordinances,585 or works,586 by
blasphemy,587 perjury;588 all sinful cursings,589 oaths,590 vows,591 and lots;592 violating of our
oaths and vows, if lawful593 and fulfilling them, if of things unlawful;594 murmuring and
quarrelling at,595 curious prying into,596 and misapplying of God’s decrees597 and
providences;598 misinterpreting,599 misapplying,600 or any way perverting the Word, or any
part of it;601 to profane jests,602 curious or unprofitable questions, vain janglings, or the
maintaining of false doctrines;603 abusing it, the creatures, or anything contained under the
name of God, to charms,604 or sinful lusts and practices;605 the maligning,606 scorning,607
reviling,608 or any wise opposing of God’s truth, grace, and ways;609 making profession of
religion in hypocrisy, or for sinister ends;610 being ashamed of it,611 or a shame to it, by
unconformable,612 unwise,613 unfruitful,614 and offensive walking,615 or backsliding from it.616.

(the Scripture proofs, indicated by the footnote numbers, can be found here: http://puritanseminary.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Larger_Catechism.pdf)

Some necessary background : The approach taken here by the Catechism is based on the idea that if Scripture says "Thou shalt not..." then by necessary inference, it is also teaching the converse "Thou shalts". With that premise in hand, Puritan exegesis would routinely come up with conclusions such as you see above in the Catechism.

But beyond all that, the direct statement of our Lord in Matthew 5:33-37 should suffice in any situation:

33 “Again, you have heard that the ancients were told, ‘You shall not make false vows, but shall fulfill your vows to the Lord.’
34 But I say to you, make no oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God,
35 or by the earth, for it is the footstool of His feet, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.
36 Nor shall you make an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black.
37 But let your statement be, ‘Yes, yes’ or ‘No, no’; anything beyond these is of evil.

We all tend to live by habits, and to allow a habit of using oaths, vows, and similar expressions as a regular part of your speech patterns inevitably runs the risk of abuse.

Matthew Henry is a great, freely available, almost always reliable, resource. Here's what he has to say on Mt. 5:33-37 :

We have here an exposition of the third commandment, which we are the more concerned right to understand, because it is particularly said, that God will not hold him guiltless, however he may hold himself, who breaks this commandment, by taking the name of the Lord in vain. Now as to this command,

I. It is agreed on all hands that it forbids perjury, forswearing, and the violation of oaths and vows, Matthew 5:33. This was said to them of old time, and is the true intent and meaning of the third commandment. Thou shalt not use, or take up, the name of God (as we do by an oath) in vain, or unto vanity, or a lie. He hath not lift up his soul unto vanity, is expounded in the next words, nor sworn deceitfully, Psalms 24:4. Perjury is a sin condemned by the light of nature, as a complication of impiety toward God and injustice toward man, and as rendering a man highly obnoxious to the divine wrath, which was always judged to follow so infallibly upon that sin, that the forms of swearing were commonly turned into execrations or imprecations; as that, God do so to me, and more also; and with us, So help me God; wishing I may never have any help from God, if I swear falsely. Thus, by the consent of nations, have men cursed themselves, not doubting but that God would curse them, if they lied against the truth then, when they solemnly called God to witness to it.

It is added, from some other scriptures, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths (Numbers 30:2); which may be meant, either, 1. Of those promises to which God is a party, vows made to God; these must be punctually paid (Ecclesiastes 5:4,5): or, 2. Of those promises made to our brethren, to which God was a Witness, he being appealed to concerning our sincerity; these must be performed to the Lord, with an eye to him, and for his sake: for to him, by ratifying the promises with an oath, we have made ourselves debtors; and if we break a promise so ratified, we have not lied unto men only, but unto God.

II. It is here added, that the commandment does not only forbid false swearing, but all rash, unnecessary swearing: Swear not at all, Compare Jam. v. 12. Not that all swearing is sinful; so far from that, if rightly done, it is a part of religious worship, and we in it give unto God the glory due to his name. See Isa. xlv. 23; Jer. iv. 2. We find Paul confirming what he said by such solemnities (2 Corinthians 1:23), when there was a necessity for it. In swearing, we pawn the truth of something known, to confirm the truth of something doubtful or unknown; we appeal to a greater knowledge, to a higher court, and imprecate the vengeance of a righteous Judge, if we swear deceitfully.

Now the mind of Christ in this matter is,

1. That we must not swear at all, but when we are duly called to it, and justice or charity to our brother, or respect to the commonwealth, make it necessary for the end of strife (Hebrews 6:16), of which necessity the civil magistrate is ordinarily to be the judge. We may be sworn, but we must now swear; we may be adjured, and so obliged to it, but we must not thrust ourselves upon it for our own worldly advantage.

2. That we must not swear lightly and irreverently, in common discourse: it is a very great sin to make a ludicrous appeal to the glorious Majesty of heaven, which, being a sacred thing, ought always to be very serious: it is a gross profanation of God's holy name, and of one of the holy things which the children of Israel sanctify to the Lord: it is a sin that has no cloak, no excuse for it, and therefore a sign of a graceless heart, in which enmity to God reigns: Thine enemies take thy name in vain.

3. That we must in a special manner avoid promissory oaths, of which Christ more particularly speaks here, for they are oaths that are to be performed. The influence of an affirmative oath immediately ceases, when we have faithfully discovered the truth, and the whole truth; but a promissory oath binds so long, and may be so many ways broken, by the surprise as well as strength of a temptation, that it is not to be used but upon great necessity: the frequent requiring and using of oaths, is a reflection upon Christians, who should be of such acknowledged fidelity, as that their sober words should be as sacred as their solemn oaths.

4. That we must not swear by any other creature. It should seem there were some, who, in civility (as they thought) to the name of God, would not make use of that in swearing, but would swear by heaven or earth, &c. This Christ forbids here (Matthew 5:34) and shows that there is nothing we can swear by, but it is some way or other related to God, who is the Fountain of all beings, and therefore that it is as dangerous to swear by them, as it is to swear by God himself: it is the verity of the creature that is laid at stake; now that cannot be an instrument of testimony, but as it has regard to God, who is the summum verum--the chief Truth. As for instance,

(1.) Swear not by the heaven; "As sure as there is a heaven, this is true;" for it is God's throne, where he resides, and in a particular manner manifests his glory, as a Prince upon his throne: this being the inseparable dignity of the upper world, you cannot swear by heaven, but you swear by God himself.

(2.) Nor by the earth, for it is his footstool. He governs the motions of this lower world; as he rules in heaven, so he rules over the earth; and though under his feet, yet it is also under his eye and care, and stands in relation to him as his, Psalms 24:1. The earth is the Lord's; so that in swearing by it, you swear by its Owner.

(3.) Neither by Jerusalem, a place for which the Jews had such a veneration, that they could not speak of any thing more sacred to swear by; but beside the common reference Jerusalem has to God, as part of the earth, it is in special relation to him, for it is the city of the great King (Psalms 48:2), the city of God (Psalms 46:4), he is therefore interested in it, and in every oath taken by it.

(4.) "Neither shalt thou swear by the head; though it be near thee, and an essential part of thee, yet it is more God's than thine; for he made it, and formed all the springs and powers of it; whereas thou thyself canst not, from any natural intrinsic influence, change the colour of one hair, so as to make it white or black; so that thou canst not swear by thy head, but thou swearest by him who is the Life of thy head, and the Lifter up of it." Psalms 3:3.

5. That therefore in all our communications we must content ourselves with, Yea, yea, and nay, nay, Matthew 5:37. In ordinary discourse, if we affirm a thing, let us only say, Yea, it is so; and, if need be, to evidence our assurance of a thing, we may double it, and say, Yea, yea, indeed it is so: Verily, verily, was our Saviour's yea, yea. So if we deny a thing, let is suffice to say, No; or if it be requisite, to repeat the denial, and say, No, no; and if our fidelity be known, that will suffice to gain us credit; and if it be questioned, to back what we say with swearing and cursing, is but to render it more suspicious. They who can swallow a profane oath, will not strain at a lie. It is a pity that this, which Christ puts in the mouths of all his disciples, should be fastened, as a name of reproach, upon a sect faulty enough other ways, when (as Dr. Hammond says) we are not forbidden any more than yea and nay, but are in a manner directed to the use of that.

The reason is observable; For whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil, though it do not amount to the iniquity of an oath. It comes ek tou Diabolou; so an ancient copy has it: it comes from the Devil, the evil one; it comes from the corruption of men's nature, from passion and vehemence; from a reigning vanity in the mind, and a contempt of sacred things: it comes from that deceitfulness which is in men, All men are liars; therefore men use these protestations, because they are distrustful one of another, and think they cannot be believed without them. Note, Christians should, for the credit of their religion, avoid not only that which is in itself evil, but that which cometh of evil, and has the appearance of it. That may be suspected as a bad thing, which comes from a bad cause. An oath is physic, which supposes a disease.

Last edited:

Reading these links was very helpful, thanks for sharing them Wayne. I was seriously convicted about how I speak while reading them and I am certainly hoping to endeavor, by the grace of God, to bridle my tongue. I often used to violate the third commandment and take the Lord's name in vain and while I was trying to break that habit I was often corrected and told to say, "Oh my gosh," rather than take the Lord's name in vain. I still often say, "Oh my gosh," in conversation. Many Christians, in an attempt to keep the Third Commandment, are taught to use minced oaths instead.

Some other "minced oaths"

Strewth - God's truth

Cor blimey - God blind me

Jings, Crivens, Help ma Boab! - Jesus, Christ, Help me God!

Many people have no knowledge that these expressions are minced oaths, and so use them perfectly sinlessly.

Aha, Bother and Criminy

A-Ha was the name of a 1980s one hit band that tried to replicate ABBA. And bother appears to be used in its usual sense. So I don't see any problem with either of those.

Crimeny, on the other hand, while there seems to be some uncertainty as to its origin, appears to be a minced reference to Christ (all 3 dictionaries I consulted agree as to that), and I'd urge you to substitute an Anglo-Saxon vulgarity as a less objectionable option.

I wonder if there may not be some misunderstandings reflected in the thread: if so, it might be good to lay out the basics.

When we speak of "swearing" there are two meanings we could have in mind: one is the positive meaning of taking an oath or making a vow; the other is the negative meaning of using foul or coarse or violent or inappropriately forceful language. It is easy to see how the one meaning arose from the other, because taking an oath when one is not called for is a clear instance of inappropriately forceful language.

Now the Bible is in favor of swearing in the first sense, provided it is done intelligently, reverently, sparingly, upon proper occasion, and with invocation of the proper object. Thus the Lord himself swears, "As I live" and his people say, "As the Lord liveth". But other forms of swearing, such as "by my head," or "by my beard" or "upon my mother's grave" and so forth are ruled out: it should go without saying that swearing "By Chemosh" or "By Artemis" are not permissible forms of expression for a believer, because we cannot summon them to witness or to avenge - or not without a gross betrayal of our profession that the Lord is our God. Now since in proper swearing we invoke God as witness to the truth of what we say and as executor of vengeance if we fail in the vow we take, it is obvious that this should not be done rashly or lightly. No invocation of God is a merely casual matter.

Now people use oaths to give vigor and emphasis, salt and (in the older sense) raciness to their language; but where there is recognition that invoking of God casually is irreverent, they may try to soften it: "Zounds" for "God's wounds", etc. But Christ taught us against being the sort of people who need that kind of emphasis in our speech. Our yea is yea, our nay is nay, and there's an end on it. It doesn't mean our language is dry and savorless; it means we have other resources than one or two exclamations and a tiny selection of profanities and vulgarities with which to add salt to our speech.

Then there comes the matter of euphemisms. They are certainly not always wrong: they reflect a certain delicacy and restraint, and if their use sometimes means that one doesn't have the courage of his convictions, it can also mean that one seeks to avoid filthiness and folly in speech. But invoking God euphemistically is still invoking God, just as in Victorian England saying "limb" still communicated "leg". This is the argument behind opposing exclamations like "Oh my goodness." As a Christian, God is my goodness - goodness is his title and attribute. I certainly have no goodness of my own to invoke. So in any situation where it would be inappropriate to say "Oh my God" (a good and Biblical phrase, in itself), it would also be inappropriate to say "oh my goodness."

It is also important to distinguish between our own intention, and the public acceptation of something. I clearly remember my sister remarking, on the slowest and least eventful day of the year, "Man, it's hectic today." Some clever joker at camp had informed her that "hectic" meant "boring." Now her intention was not unclear; but in public acceptation, "hectic" is not an appropriate word to signalize a space of time as wearisomely uneventful. So many who used terms and phrases whose provenance is an oath minced to taste have no intention of "swearing," of invoking God casually or inappropriately: they are not aware of the public acceptation of the phrase. Intention is private, and we are to believe the best that we can of the intentions of others; but the meaning of the words is not private ("There's glory for you!"). Outside of a private area (such as our own mind or writings where we have reasons to develop a customized vocabulary), it is incumbent upon us to use words in a public way. A child or a foreigner may make sounds which to us sound obscene or blasphemous, meaning nothing of the kind; someone may use inappropriate interjections while being at the same time deeply horrified at the prospect of dishonoring God with their speech; but it is not only the intent that matters. If it were, language would be an entirely individual matter, and we would find that the curse of Babel had penetrated far deeper than we've been led to believe.

There are interjections (such as "ow" for pain, "umm" for hesitation, "oh" for surprise, "wow" for amazement, etc.) that do not have unfortunate historical antecedents. I trust we can all agree that names and titles of our Lord are inappropriate as expressions of rage or frustration, as is invoking God because we are excited about something. Between those two points there is a broad range where the propriety of inarticulate or semi-articulate expressions, the question of what emotions ought to be given expression and which not, the public acceptation of words and phrases, and related points can be discussed and disagreed upon. There are complexities in the relationship of etymology, intention, current understanding, and the denaturing process that seems to be almost perpetually underway. By that I refer to the apparent fact that people become desensitized to the strength of language, and so what was originally on the outer boundary of acceptable comes to be entirely normal, and someone has to up the ante in order to add shock value to their statements. But I suspect that with the way language has become so coarse, vulgar, and casually blasphemous that we will soon run out of ways to make it worse - and I fervently hope not to be proven wrong!

There is a question of the public meaning of a phrase, and there are public meanings Christians should not express: there are difficult things that should be said, and there a euphemism is the best way forward. There are things that should not be said, even under the guise of a euphemism. That is the main point of the discussion on minced oaths, I believe.

There is also the question of what is the abundance of our heart that we speak in a given way. My mom used to deploy a colorful expression to express frustration: "Great balls of fire." I remember the day she told us she would no longer be saying that: she had realized that while the combination of words might itself be innocuous, it came from a state of heart that she did not wish to reinforce through verbal expression. I am thankful for that example, and think it would be worthwhile if we all put that question to ourselves.

But to return to the OP, I see no evidence that "By Jove" is used as a way of mocking Zeus, just as I see no evidence that is is used seriously, as a way to invoke the son of Chronos to witness or avenge. It is an example that highlights the complexity of the use of language, because the name of a pagan god is taken up as a substitute for the name of the true God, and so is a quite distinctive way to euphemize what one expresses. These complexities can certainly serve as a reminder to think and hope the best of those whom we hear using language that is objectionable; but they should not be used to disguise the reality that there are public meanings, and that there are states of heart, and meanings of phrase, which a Christian should not have upon his lips, bowdlerized or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back