Is Communion Greater than Preaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
In my friend circle, the preaching of the Word is considered the greatest means of grace on the Lord's day, that's why our pulpit physically stands above all other aspects of worship. But I was reading Thomas Watson's (my favorite Puritan) book on the Lord's Supper, and he exalts Communion over the preached Word. Is there anyone who agrees with this, or was he off in this area, or does it not matter? Thanks everyone!

Could you quote the relevant passage from Watson (and give the book/section you're reading)? It'd be helpful to see exactly what he's saying. :)

An interesting thing to note in a question like this is that preaching of the Word can properly occur without Communion; but can Communion properly occur without preaching of the Word?

Could you quote the relevant passage from Watson (and give the book/section you're reading)? It'd be helpful to see exactly what he's saying. :)

Sure thing: The Lord's Supper - pages 1 and 2. 'The celebration of the Lord's Supper is the commemoration of the greatest blessing that ever the world enjoyed', says Chrysostom. A sacrament is a visible sermon. And herein the sacrament excels the Word preached. The Word is a trumpet to proclaim Christ, the sacrament is a glass to represent Him.

but can Communion properly occur without preaching of the Word?

Can't it? I don't think any "preaching" per se is recorded when our Lord institutes the Supper. Surely the Sacrament is meaningless without the Word itself, especially that of institution, but is preaching/expositing really required to observe the Sacrament? If you don't mind my asking, why?

Does your church celebrate the Lord's Supper without a proclamation of the Word? Your statement "Surely the Sacrament is meaningless without the Word itself" is my point exactly. If you understand preaching/expositing to require three points and a poem, then I would agree with you, but I would contend that the Gospel is being preached in the words of institution and hence QED. I think you would agree that a silent communion would be rather meaningless. Bread and wine have no significance unless they are connected to the Gospel of Jesus Christ by proclamation (=preaching).

p.s. I think Matt. 26:28 is an example of the best preaching of the Gospel I have ever read.

I certainly agree that the Supper must be connected to the Gospel. Something should be said/read about the sacrament and we should be exhorted in some way before it is observed. My question is more along the lines of is a sermon required to be preached before the sacrament can be observed?

I certainly agree that the Supper must be connected to the Gospel. Something should be said/read about the sacrament and we should be exhorted in some way before it is observed. My question is more along the lines of is a sermon required to be preached before the sacrament can be observed?

I didn't use the word "sermon" intentionally. I was not thinking of a required 40 minute homily prior to the Lord's Supper. My point was the Gospel can be proclaimed without Communion, but Communion cannot be observed without the proclamation of the Gospel. In no way am I trying to lessen the importance of the Sacrament in the Christian life, rather I am challenging Watson's statement with what I see is the logical priority of the Gospel.

I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not sure whether I agree with Watson myself, but look forward to seeing how others answer. Also, happy Palm Sunday!

The communion is a strengthening ordinance which visibly portrays the atonement. But without the word explaining what it portrays then we partake in ignorance. I recall a brother who had worshipped for over 35 years in the Bretheren, (who hold the Lords Supper every sabbath morning without the preaching of the word),coming to realise that without the word of instruction then his knowledge of what he was doing was imperfect. Essentially faith cometh by hearing. Should communion be held once a month, there is sufficient truth in the ordinance for a Minister to teach on it in that service for all his tenure as Pastor.

Watson says: "...herein the sacrament excels...." I take him to mean that "in this particular way." Not in any or every way. And he further explains the way he has in mind: as a trumpet cannot show what the glass is capable of showing in its own inimitable way.

I am sure Watson would set the preached word as the most indispensable of the divine gifts, Christ himself excepted. But there is one advantage to a foundation and a thing of immense utility; and another kind of special advantage to a tool of special utility that reaches its object after the effort of the first. In just that way, the latter "excels" the first. It is not "greater" in the sense that it could be used whether or not for the first.

Watson:

The third way to escape the wrath and curse of God, and obtain the benefit of redemption by Christ, is the diligent use of ordinances, in particular, "the Word, sacraments, and prayer." I begin with the best of these ordinances. The "Word . . . which effectually works in you who believe." 1 Thess 2:13.

The Lord's Supper is a particular kind of seal of the king on His New Testament with His people.

If focus is made in a service of worship on the bare seal without reference to the contents of the testament which it seals the danger may be to fall into bare and ignorant memorialism or sacerdotalism.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

1 Cor. 1:17-18, "For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back