Is Douglas Wilson dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very much involved in the culture war.

Carl Trueman is good on the culture war. John McWhorter is good on the culture war. Freddie DeBoer and Scott Alexander are good on the culture war (though from the other side).

James White and Doug Wilson are not.
I disagree with you on James White, but can accept you have a different opinion.

Final comment, because I realize mine are more about White, but I think one of the reasons all this CRT nonsense is cropping up is because not enough churches are addressing the culture war. The worldly culture is winning and many churches are turning woke. To me, he seems to be doing both. Talking about the culture and still doing good apologetics.
That's where the money is.....

The problem is the leadership. Take it up with them. Concentrate your concerns.

White can only control what he can control and he may be getting distracted. Action can only be had starting at the local levels. Nothing is going to happen overnight. He's letting desperation get the best of him. CRT money is pouring in and they get the press. It's everywhere and even the church is not immune.

Doug Wilson is who he is..... If we embrace Doug Wilson, do we win the war? Im not so sure. I think he may ultimately be a liability.

Last edited:
I fail to see how the popularity of culture warriors espousing aberrant theology is a rebuke to reformed theology. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions (2 Tim. 4:3)

I take Wilson for what he is and enjoy the delivery of his podcasts. I've read some of his books as well and find him helpful BUT this is the Puritan Board and it has rules that encourage us all to strive for a confessional understanding of the faith so I never mentioned you know who. I believe a lot of people on this forum lurkers included listen and read you know who but understand that we must all play by the rules here and just keep it to ourselves.

White makes me sad.

I listened to the DL for many years (since 2006, maybe?), and learned a great deal from him. He's sharp, gifted, and entertaining. His stuff on Mormonism, Islam, and cults has been hugely helpful to me.

Over the past few years, though, I've sensed a trajectory taking him somewhere I didn't want to go, and eventually stopped listening.
Really, what trajectory?

It's not confessional faithfulness to break the positive requirements of the 10 commandments by tolerating all the rampant behavior that gets categorized as culture wars.

Can you add context to this statement?
Sure, but I was drawing on what was posted already.

Douglas Wilson obviously likes to gather an audience. He uses techniques and wordplay in such a way as to shock, all for what he wants us to think of as a good cause.

The general message over the years comes across, to me at least, as:

"Let's attack the reprobate culture."
"Let's do it using their own techniques against them."
"On the way, let's offend people, because we have liberty."

And, "if we offend other Christians, their cowardice is the problem."

Jehu, of course, said, "come see my zeal for the Lord." He ended up killing all the house of Ahab. God commended him for this.

But:

2Ki 10:31 But Jehu took no heed to walk in the law of the LORD God of Israel with all his heart: for he departed not from the sins of Jeroboam, which made Israel to sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back