Is every Christian a missionary and every place a missions field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
If yes, why?

If no, why not?

If someone you knew held to the view with which you disagree, what is your best response to them?

Missionary, from Latin "missus" meaning "sent." So a missionary is one sent to spread the gospel. In a hyper-spiritualized sense, we might legitimately apply this to all believers, but in technical terms a missionary is one sent to preach the gospel somewhere "not here," hence the "sent."

My opinion on this is changing. I used to cringe at that definition of "missionary" out of fear that people would stop becoming long-term cross cultural missionaries, but fear is no reason to hold a particular view, and we're seeing lots of people becoming career missionaries. I see it as an ideal that "missionary" be used to describe people who are called and sent break new ground and to be involved in reaching those who have never heard, but the simple fact is that most missionaries do not belong to this category. Where I am, the majority of missionaries have not been sent to any particular place or people but stay where they live because it's the mission field. I know of people who have been sent by mission agencies to South Korea or Germany as missionaries. In my mind, it's a poor allocation of resources, but I wouldn't strip away that title from them. If God has called them, then so be it.

I still think, though, that the term should be reserved to people who are actively engaged in some kind of work and not an excuse that's given by complacent people.

I would think that loving my neighbor as myself would entail me telling them about the salvation freely offered in Jesus, and that in order to properly glorify God in my life they would have to know who I am glorifying, since there are many "gods". I’m ok with this cliché because everyone is called to love their neighbor and glorify God, a little “m” missionary as they go through life glorifying Christ. There are, however, trained vocational ministers that are set aside for missions work, and I think those who feel secure in their calling would not have a problem with this little saying.

The American Heritage dictionary defines missionary as one who is sent on a mission, especially one sent to do religious or charitable work in a territory or foreign country. One who attempts to persuade or convert others to a particular program, doctrine, or set of principles; a propagandist.

A missionary is a member of a religious group sent into an area to do evangelism or ministries of service, such as education, literacy, social justice, health care and economic development

The first Protestant missionaries were John Eliot and contemporary ministers including John Cotton and Richard Bourne, who ministered to the Algonquin natives who lived in lands claimed by representatives of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in the early 17th century. Quaker "publishers of truth" visited Boston and other mid-17th century colonies but were not always well-received.

Jesus instructed the apostles to make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28:19–20). This verse is referred to by Christian missionaries as the Great Commission and inspires missionary work.

I will agree that only trained and ordained ministers of the Gospel should be the official evangelizers and missionaries in the church. But we can all be witnesses to this Gospel and lead souls to the church and then the properly trained ministers to complete the process of evangelization. It is in that endeavor that if a non believer asks me why I am a Presbyterian and a Protestant or a Roman Catholic friend asks me why I converted and what is it that I have found in the Protestant fold and the Presbyterian church that I did not know as a catholic I will answer.

I will tell them that I have discovered and met a personal Jesus in the Protestant fold and the Presbyterian church that I never knew in the catholic church. I tell them all the times I went to mass, went to confession, received their communion., said the rosary or prayed before what they call the blessed sacrament I never knew or met a personal Jesus …I then tell them about what I have experienced as Protestant and I invite them to come to bible class with me and a Sunday morning service. From there it is in Gods hands and I know some of the Catholics who have been invited stay and eventually become Protestants , they discover the true Gospel as I did.

One must give a biblical definition of "missionary" and "missions" first before the other questions may be answered. It appears to me that the missionary work of Preaching, Sacrament, and Church-planting we see being accomplished in Scripture belonged to officers in the church, commissioned by the Lord via Presbyteries, etc. In that particular regard, not everyone is a missionary. However, Christians in the church need to support the ministry of the Word by praying for the Pastor & session, tithing, the mission work he/they may be doing, attend upon their preaching, speak to others when opportunity arises about the great things Christ has done for them, and be forward to invite others to church, etc.
The big question is what happens when there is no church and no official church officers to administer the sacraments. Are we to conclude that where there is no ordained presbytery, there is no church and no mission?

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see ytour good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matt. 5:16

"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen." Matt. 28:18-20

I am not sure where this conversation is supposed to go, but I do think we have to make an effort to define our terms. Missionary is a broad term to many people and in the context of Scripture it is fairly well defined. I would say that each Christian as a duty to obey Christ's command in Matthew 5: 16 and surrounding verses to let their light shine! I would go on to say that the actual missionary function of the church is given to the eldership. They are empowered by Christ to conduct the public preaching of the word, the giving of the sacraments and church discipline. We all have a function in the body of Christ let us be busy fulfilling it!

One must give a biblical definition of "missionary" and "missions" first before the other questions may be answered. It appears to me that the missionary work of Preaching, Sacrament, and Church-planting we see being accomplished in Scripture belonged to officers in the church, commissioned by the Lord via Presbyteries, etc. In that particular regard, not everyone is a missionary. However, Christians in the church need to support the ministry of the Word by praying for the Pastor & session, tithing, the mission work he/they may be doing, attend upon their preaching, speak to others when opportunity arises about the great things Christ has done for them, and be forward to invite others to church, etc.
The big question is what happens when there is no church and no official church officers to administer the sacraments. Are we to conclude that where there is no ordained presbytery, there is no church and no mission?

I thought we were talking about whether there's a missionary, not whether there's a church and mission.

I thought we were talking about whether there's a missionary, not whether there's a church and mission.

There are many, like David above, who says,
I would go on to say that the actual missionary function of the church is given to the eldership. They are empowered by Christ to conduct the public preaching of the word, the giving of the sacraments and church discipline
If this is so, then one can conclude that there is no mission outside the eldership. While this is fine in contexts where there are plenty of ordained clergy and established churches, this is simply not the case in most parts of the world where the gospel is spreading.

And as a light that has been set upon a Hill I shall do as He has commanded me. I will proclaim the good news as my denomination sees very fit.

Next to Chapter 10 on Effectual Calling the RPCNA testimony states....

6. Evangelism is the proclamation of Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord as he is offered in the Gospel. Christ laid the responsibility upon the whole Church to make this proclamation. The task is not restricted to ordained officers. Each member is to take his share of the responsibility according to the gifts God has given him.

7. Those evangelizing should use all available means consistent with the Bible so that every person may be given the opportunity to hear, understand, and receive the Gospel. While guarding against undue pressure, we must urge men to be reconciled to God.

8. Evangelism is not only to seek the conversion of sinners but also to build them up to become effective in the Church's continuing task.

9. The Great Commission requires the Church to take the whole Gospel to the whole world. The Bible recognizes the legitimacy of diverse cultures. Every culture is to be transformed and made subject to Christ through redeemed men, all for the glory of God.

10. Wherever consistent with faithfulness to God's truth, different branches of the visible church should cooperate in evangelism to strengthen their witness by demonstrating their unity in Christ.

If yes, why?

If no, why not?

If someone you knew held to the view with which you disagree, what is your best response to them?

I think all Christians are called to share their faith with others in accordance with their gifting and knowledge, etc. But that is not the same as being set apart and sent forth as a missionary, an evangelist or minister of the Gospel whether in a "home" or "foreign" field. I can hardly think of any other NT teaching that is easier to demonstrate. Are all set apart by the Holy Ghost and sent forth as Paul and Barnabas were?

Missional or being "on mission" is an emphasis you increasingly see in evangelical churches. From what I can see online it is a particular emphasis with many Calvinist leaning Southern Baptists. It's a reaction against the idea that Christians that are not in leadership basically have no part or responsibility in ministry at all beyond regular church attendance. To that extent it can be seen as a healthy emphasis. But some of the terminology can lead to confusion if not clarified and some of the applications of contextualization have come under criticism from Reformed and non-Reformed alike.

Yes, every Christian is a missionary. That is every Christian is tasked with engaging in mission. To be Christ's witnesses, to be salt and light, to give a reason for the hope they have within them, to live holy, God glorifying, Christ exalting, self abasing lives. To seek first the kingdom and God's righteousness and in the reaching out to the lost. Christ reached out as as his followers we are to, as far as we can, be imitators of him. For some that may be going overseas into a cross cultural situation. For many others it would be where we are here and now. Jesus told the healed demoniac in Mk 5.19 to go home to his family and friends and tell them what the Lord did for him and how he had mercy on him. I do believe that is the key

Wherever there are non-Christians then you have a mission field. I tend to think not so much a mission field but more a vineyard. The question to ask is what part of the vineyard are you working in? For some they may be labouring hard and feeling the heat of the day. For others it might be in a cooler more shaded area of the vineyard. Some may be doing the back breaking work of digging, others may be removing weeds, some may be planting, some tending and others reaping but we are serving somewhere in it under the direction of the Lord of the harvest who with all certainty will gather every last piece of fruit.

If this is so, then one can conclude that there is no mission outside the eldership. While this is fine in contexts where there are plenty of ordained clergy and established churches, this is simply not the case in most parts of the world where the gospel is spreading.

Your conclusion doesn't follow from the proposition. The missionary is sent FROM the church, not TO the church (although the sent elder may work with an established local church if one is available.) But the fact that there is not an organized church where the missionary is sent does not change the fact that he was sent from a church.

I remember reading on this board, that if you are not a missionary, you are a missions field. If the joy of what Christ has done for you doesn't bubble out of you like a fountain (in the same way that those who were healed of their infirmities by Christ behaved - and yet that was the minor point in their meeting with Christ), then what do you really have?

If yes, why?

If no, why not?

1. Yes - Because the Spirit of God lives in them. The Trinity is in unity and the mission of the Lord is to seek and to save that which is lost. A Christian is compelled to share the gospel.

2. I would tell them that they need to evangelize for Christ in their daily lives homes and communities or they are not good stewards of what the Lord has given them.

A Christian is compelled to share the gospel.

What is the difference between sharing the Gospel and preaching the Gospel?

Sharing the gospel is giving your personal testimony. Preaching the gospel is giving the Lord's testimony.

Can you back this up Scripturally?

Yes.

Preachers are sent by God and proclaim the word of God:
Acts 1:8 ESV
8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Mark 16:15 ESV
And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation

Exodus 4:10-12 ESV
But Moses said to the Lord, “Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue.” Then the Lord said to him, “Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak.”

1 Corinthians 1:21 ESV
For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.

1 Corinthians 2:13 ESV
And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual.

1 Corinthians 1:17 ESV
For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Everyone who is saved shares the gospel in praising God and telling their testimony:
Acts 2:47 ESV
47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

Acts 4:21 ESV
21 And when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding no way to punish them, because of the people, for all were praising God for what had happened.

Sharing the gospel is praising God indeed and telling of the great things he has done in your life. God uses our praises and adds to the number of people being saved.

It would seem to me that verse 42 describes early church services and the rest of the chapter is a result of those services. It does not seem to say that the addition of souls is a result of praising God.

Also making sharing the Gospel and praising God as synonyms seems to be importing 21st century terminology into Scripture.

It would seem to me that verse 42 describes early church services and the rest of the chapter is a result of those services. It does not seem to say that the addition of souls is a result of praising God.

The addition of souls is always the result of praising God. Faith comes from hearing and hearing from the word of Christ. What a person hears is the great things that God has done, his praises.

Also making sharing the Gospel and praising God as synonyms seems to be importing 21st century terminology into Scripture.

The gospel is the story of God's greatest deed and is thus his greatest praise.

But the Greek is describing the people singing praises to God. You are using your definition of "praise" and attempting to use this verse to say that everyone was "sharing their personal testimony." The passage says nothing about giving a testimony.

But the Greek is describing the people singing praises to God. You are using your definition of "praise" and attempting to use this verse to say that everyone was "sharing their personal testimony." The passage says nothing about giving a testimony.

Praising God is always giving a testimony. The two cannot be separated.

Here are some more if you don't like those:

1 Peter 3:15 ESV
But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

Colossians 4:6 ESV
Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

Romans 1:16 ESV
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

The passage is describing a church service. It is not describing everyone being missionaries.

Also Colossians and Romans say nothing about "giving your testimony" as "sharing the Gospel."

The passage is describing a church service. It is not describing everyone being missionaries.

Also Colossians and Romans say nothing about "giving your testimony" as "sharing the Gospel."

Any description of praising God is giving a testimony. All Christians who praise God to those around them are going to give a testimony of their salvation because that is the great thing God has done for them. If they don't then they have wasted an oppourtunity to share the gospel and have been a bad steward.

Also a Christian will be filled with Love for others. And christian love demands that the gospel be shared with everyone because it is the only thing on earth that really matters. Our very purpose on earth in this redeemed state is to praise God and fight the fight. There is no other reason to live.

Proverbs 11:30 ESV
The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and whoever captures souls is wise.

Galatians 5:22-23 ESV
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

1 Peter 2:9 ESV
9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

True Christian Love by A.W. Pink

Any description of praising God is giving a testimony.

This is not true. One can be praising God for His beautiful creation and never delve into anything remotely soteriological. Although we praise God for the salvation of our souls, it is not the only thing we praise God for.

Any description of praising God is giving a testimony.

This is not true. One can be praising God for His beautiful creation and never delve into anything remotely soteriological. Although we praise God for the salvation of our souls, it is not the only thing we praise God for.

The gospel is the victory over all evil sin and death that we praise God for and is the principle focus of our age. Therefore it should arise as the focal point of interaction with unbelievers because our purpose here is to bear witness to Christ.

Your conclusion doesn't follow from the proposition. The missionary is sent FROM the church, not TO the church (although the sent elder may work with an established local church if one is available.) But the fact that there is not an organized church where the missionary is sent does not change the fact that he was sent from a church.

Edward, I was responding to Joshua who said:
It appears to me that the missionary work of Preaching, Sacrament, and Church-planting we see being accomplished in Scripture belonged to officers in the church, commissioned by the Lord via Presbyteries, etc.
And David Biser who said:
I would go on to say that the actual missionary function of the church is given to the eldership. They are empowered by Christ to conduct the public preaching of the word, the giving of the sacraments and church discipline.

If i'm reading them correctly, they are saying that the missionary is primarily one who preaches, administers sacrament and church discipline - functions which are held by elders under presbyteries. This suggests that the work of the missionary on the mission field is the same as the work of a pastor/elder in a church. Being sent from a church is understood and not challenged, but what is missionary activity once they are on the field?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back