Is every Christian a missionary and every place a missions field?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennis, furthermore, it would deny that churches can sometimes spontanously generate due to possession of radio ministries or a bible without the presence of an elder.

This thread is helping me to narrow my definition of "missionary". If I'm not wrong, it's only within the past few decades has the term been used to define the "average" Christian sharing Christ in their own circumstances and locale. Historically and biblically (apostelos) it has never been used in such a way. If the word "missionary" is to have any continuity in meaning with scripture and history, then it should not be used to describe someone who is staying home and doing as they have always done. Consider also that the word "mission" is not only used in Christian ministry, but soldiers, astronauts, and diplomats go on missions too - all with the connotation that they are being sent somewhere foreign to accomplish a task.

I'd really like to know WHY we want the word to describe the average Christian in their hometown.

I just want to interject here that not all Reformed Presbyterian's hold to this view some are claiming that only ordained people are called to evangelize. My denomination does not agree with such a narrow understanding. So please don't let this get to be an emotional rant and or with harsh argumentation. I do believe it is a very small amount of guys and a very small denomination that holds to this view. As I noted above.....

And as a light that has been set upon a Hill I shall do as He has commanded me. I will proclaim the good news as my denomination sees very fit.

Next to Chapter 10 on Effectual Calling the RPCNA testimony states....

6. Evangelism is the proclamation of Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord as he is offered in the Gospel. Christ laid the responsibility upon the whole Church to make this proclamation. The task is not restricted to ordained officers. Each member is to take his share of the responsibility according to the gifts God has given him.

7. Those evangelizing should use all available means consistent with the Bible so that every person may be given the opportunity to hear, understand, and receive the Gospel. While guarding against undue pressure, we must urge men to be reconciled to God.

8. Evangelism is not only to seek the conversion of sinners but also to build them up to become effective in the Church's continuing task.

9. The Great Commission requires the Church to take the whole Gospel to the whole world. The Bible recognizes the legitimacy of diverse cultures. Every culture is to be transformed and made subject to Christ through redeemed men, all for the glory of God.

10. Wherever consistent with faithfulness to God's truth, different branches of the visible church should cooperate in evangelism to strengthen their witness by demonstrating their unity in Christ.

I do believe we are commanded and commissioned by Christ as a whole Church to do this work in some capacity and at some level as the Testimony of my Church declares.

The gospel is the victory over all evil sin and death that we praise God for and is the principle focus of our age. Therefore it should arise as the focal point of interaction with unbelievers because our purpose here is to bear witness to Christ

Singing praises to God is not the focal point of interaction with unbelievers. Praising God is pointed towards God.

Also our purpose is to glorify God, not bear witness/share the Gospel/tell our testimony

Do you not think God get's glory when we share the truth of His Glorious Grace?

Yes. He also receives glory when His Truth is exposited and proclaimed from His Scriptures, but that does not mean that every Tom, Dick, Harry, and Jane should preach.

Preaching isn't necessarily sharing or proclaiming the gospel either. Is it? And you are right. Because not every Tom, Dick, Harry or Jane truly understands it nor are every Tom, Dick, Harry, Jane necessarily regenerate. God has used a donkey before to rebuke an ignorant man. And as far as witnessing. I am not sure the effectual message has to say.... Turn to Christ. Remember Jonah. He just preached God's wrath against Nineveh and God awakened the Kings heart to seek for repentance. God fills in the blanks when He needs or wants to. God uses the whole Church to function and speak the truth though. Even if it is done in a way that some might think imperfect God providentially works to harden or soften the heart toward himself. And He gets the Glory through Christ's Person and Work.

I just want to interject here that not all Reformed Presbyterian's hold to this view some are claiming that only ordained people are called to evangelize. My denomination does not agree with such a narrow understanding. So please don't let this get to be an emotional rant and or with harsh argumentation. I do believe it is a very small amount of guys and a very small denomination that holds to this view. As I noted above.....

And as a light that has been set upon a Hill I shall do as He has commanded me. I will proclaim the good news as my denomination sees very fit.

Next to Chapter 10 on Effectual Calling the RPCNA testimony states....

6. Evangelism is the proclamation of Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord as he is offered in the Gospel. Christ laid the responsibility upon the whole Church to make this proclamation. The task is not restricted to ordained officers. Each member is to take his share of the responsibility according to the gifts God has given him.

7. Those evangelizing should use all available means consistent with the Bible so that every person may be given the opportunity to hear, understand, and receive the Gospel. While guarding against undue pressure, we must urge men to be reconciled to God.

8. Evangelism is not only to seek the conversion of sinners but also to build them up to become effective in the Church's continuing task.

9. The Great Commission requires the Church to take the whole Gospel to the whole world. The Bible recognizes the legitimacy of diverse cultures. Every culture is to be transformed and made subject to Christ through redeemed men, all for the glory of God.

10. Wherever consistent with faithfulness to God's truth, different branches of the visible church should cooperate in evangelism to strengthen their witness by demonstrating their unity in Christ.

I do believe we are commanded and commissioned by Christ as a whole Church to do this work in some capacity and at some level as the Testimony of my Church declares.

I agree 100%.

1 Peter 2:9 ESV
9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

The gospel is the victory over all evil sin and death that we praise God for and is the principle focus of our age. Therefore it should arise as the focal point of interaction with unbelievers because our purpose here is to bear witness to Christ

Singing praises to God is not the focal point of interaction with unbelievers. Praising God is pointed towards God.

Also our purpose is to glorify God, not bear witness/share the Gospel/tell our testimony

I'm sorry but that is just dead wrong. That is actually even dangerous as it is in opposition to Christ's mission. Praising God points to God and declares the great things he has done and reveals his love to sinners. While we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

Christ came to seek and to save that which was lost. He used those who were found and saved as instuments to find and save us and likewise we should be used as instruments to find and save others.

Everything around us is damned. We christians are the only ones who will survive. Even the earth is damned and will be destroyed and replaced with another. Given that, we have a mission and our mission is to be conformed to the image of Christ and that involves taking on his mission of seeking that which is lost. How can we just sit by and enjoy life at all when there are millions of people headed for hell right now? If we are content with that then the Spirit of Christ doesn't live in us.

Yes. He also receives glory when His Truth is exposited and proclaimed from His Scriptures, but that does not mean that every Tom, Dick, Harry, and Jane should preach.

Preaching isn't necessarily sharing or proclaiming the gospel either. Is it? And you are right. Because not every Tom, Dick, Harry or Jane truly understands it nor are every Tom, Dick, Harry, Jane necessarily regenerate. God has used a donkey before to rebuke an ignorant man. And as far as witnessing. I am not sure the effectual message has to say.... Turn to Christ. Remember Jonah. He just preached God's wrath against Nineveh and God awakened the Kings heart to seek for repentance. God fills in the blanks when He needs or wants to. God uses the whole Church to function and speak the truth though. Even if it is done in a way that some might think imperfect God providentially works to harden or soften the heart toward himself. And He gets the Glory through Christ's Person and Work.

The only point I was trying to make was yes we are to glorify God in all we do, but that does not mean that we are to glorify God in every possible way.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

How can we just sit by and enjoy life at all when there are millions of people headed for hell right now? If we are content with that then the Spirit of Christ doesn't live in us.

No one is advocating that we just sit by.

I will point out again that the Acts passage is describing singing. You are defining praise more broadly. I have no problem with your definition of praise, but it does not fit in the Acts passage. Therefore you cannot use this passage to prove that "sharing the Gospel=sharing one's testimony" as you originally stated.

Also if I am dead wrong, then the Divines were dead wrong and the Standards are wrong. They state that the chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. Everything is pointed to God. It does not say that the chief end of man is to praise God through telling our testimony.

The only point I was trying to make was yes we are to glorify God in all we do, but that does not mean that we are to glorify God in every possible way.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

How can we just sit by and enjoy life at all when there are millions of people headed for hell right now? If we are content with that then the Spirit of Christ doesn't live in us.

No one is advocating that we just sit by.

I will point out again that the Acts passage is describing singing. You are defining praise more broadly. I have no problem with your definition of praise, but it does not fit in the Acts passage. Therefore you cannot use this passage to prove that "sharing the Gospel=sharing one's testimony" as you originally stated.

Also if I am dead wrong, then the Divines were dead wrong and the Standards are wrong. They state that the chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. Everything is pointed to God. It does not say that the chief end of man is to praise God through telling our testimony.

1. The Acts passage is just one that points to praising God and in our age that praise always includes the gospel message. It doesn;t matter if it is sung or spoken. The gospel can be communicated either way. Also I provided many other passages that support the idea over other posts. That first post was brief because I didn't put any effort into it.

2. We glorify God the most when we help those who are hurting. Those who are hurting the most are those who are lost. When we praise God in the gospel it serves his purpose of saving those who are lost. There is no other reason GOd would leave us here in a dying world.

1. The Acts passage is just one that points to praising God and in our age that praise always includes the gospel message. It doesn;t matter if it is sung or spoken. The gospel can be communicated either way. Also I provided many other passages that support the idea over other posts. That first post was brief because I didn't put any effort into it.

2. We glorify God the most when we help those who are hurting. Those who are hurting the most are those who are lost. When we praise God in the gospel it serves his purpose of saving those who are lost. There is no other reason GOd would leave us here in a dying world.

You cannot develop theological beliefs by taking a passage and defining it according to "our age." I pointed out how one can praise God that does not include the Gospel. So your statement is false. I agree that the Gospel can be communicated either way, I am trying to point out that the Acts passage deals with the singing.

We glorify God the most when we help those who are hurting? What is your basis for this? Luke 15 shows that parties are thrown in Heaven when people repent of their sins. It doesn't say that parties are thrown when I help those that are hurting.

God brings about salvation through the hearing of the Word, not through "praising God in the Gospel."

Our only purpose in this dying world is to help those who are hurting? Again, what is your basis for this?

About the other passages you posted, the original question was, "Can you Scripturally prove that "sharing the Gospel=telling my personal testimony." I do not see how any of the passages proved this point.

You cannot develop theological beliefs by taking a passage and defining it according to "our age." I pointed out how one can praise God that does not include the Gospel. So your statement is false. I agree that the Gospel can be communicated either way, I am trying to point out that the Acts passage deals with the singing.

We glorify God the most when we help those who are hurting? What is your basis for this? Luke 15 shows that parties are thrown in Heaven when people repent of their sins. It doesn't say that parties are thrown when I help those that are hurting.

God brings about salvation through the hearing of the Word, not through "praising God in the Gospel."

Our only purpose in this dying world is to help those who are hurting? Again, what is your basis for this?

About the other passages you posted, the original question was, "Can you Scripturally prove that "sharing the Gospel=telling my personal testimony." I do not see how any of the passages proved this point.

That's because you and I are very different in our views.

Here are some examples:

James 1:27 ESV
27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

Luke 19:10 ESV
10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

Philippians 1:21-24 ESV
21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. 24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.

Different is a nice category to let flutter out into the pixie dust.

But we want to know who is right, it means a lot.

Through well tried and tested means of real scholarly study and interpretation.

Different is a nice category to let flutter out into the pixie dust.

But we want to know who is right, it means a lot.

Through well tried and tested means of real scholarly study and interpretation.

I believe whole heartedly that the bible teaches that Christians are to spread the gospel. So does the vast majority of christianity. There are volumes written on it.

I honestly have never even personally met someone who teaches others not to evangelize or that they need not evangelize. That to me is in opposition to the clear teachings of scripture and I have never heard that position advocated in any church even the roman one.

I hear that the hardshell primitive baptist are like that, however they are hypercalvinist and chances are you won't meet one because he won't talk to you.

That's because you and I are very different in our views.

I am not so sure you can say this totally and accurately Don. You do see to be putting a lot of your ideas into the definitions and mismashing. I can use passages like you are to try to emphasize a point but that doesn't mean that you or I have clearly exegeted anything.

For example Praise may be made acceptable because of the Gospel but it doesn't always point to the Gospel. I just might be thankful for God's providence of allowing our age to have toilets so that we have better hygiene.

(Heb 13:15) By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

1. The Acts passage is just one that points to praising God and in our age that praise always includes the gospel message.

You are all over the place and don't really truly respond Don. For instance.... Boliver responded to the above and you don't even comment or reply. You just move on as though it is water off of the back of a duck and it has no effect upon you. This seems to be a common way of yours.

I pointed out how one can praise God that does not include the Gospel. So your statement is false.

It isn't just because your views are different. It is because of your methodology and hermeneutical principle. Which I am yet to understand if you have one.

I am not so sure you can say this totally and accurately Don. You do see to be putting a lot of your ideas into the definitions and mismashing. I can use passages like you are to try to emphasize a point but that doesn't mean that you have clearly exogeted anything.

For example Praise may be made acceptable because of the Gospel but it doesn't always point to the Gospel. I just might be thankful for God's providence of allowing our age to have toilets so that we have better hygiene.

1. My name is David not Don.

2. Praise always points to the gospel since the resurrection of Christ. It is the biggest news there is.

You are all over the place and don't really truly respond Don. For instance.... Boliver responded to the above and you don't even comment or reply. You just move on as though it is water off he back of a duck and it has no effect upon you. This seems to be a common way of yours.

I utterly disagree with Bolivar. I do not think he has any biblical basis for his position nor has he provided any. I have provided much for mine and he has said he doesn't understand. I have no idea why he doesn't. I have never met anyone who thought that only ordained people should share the gospel. How in the world could anyone arrive at that conclusion?

It is a common way of mine because I discuss what interests me and I don't discuss what doesn't. Forums are time consuming and I use each one for a specific purpose. Some are for evangelizing (CARM, CF). Others are for mingling and seeing where like minded people are coming from (PB,BB).

I do not expect to change anyone on the PB so I discuss what I will and move on.

Was your last insult directed at Bolivar or me? I'll address that one if needed as well. If it's at Bolivar don't worry about it I agree.

How in the world could anyone arrive at that conclusion.
Very simply. Have you read through any of the thread? There've been several instances of folks asserting this position with biblical basis. Ministry belongs to ministers. We must look at the word evangelism and see how it's used in Scripture. In Scripture, it belongs to ministers. The ministry of Reconicilation belongs to ministers. To place that burden upon laypersons is to do more than Scripture does. Evangelism means something more narrow in Scripture than the things which you've said. The problem is taking passages that apply to ministers of the Gospel, i.e. those who are "sent", and making that applicable to every Christian without exception.

That view is unbiblical. The Spirit of God lives in every christian or he isn't a christian. By just the fruits of the Spirit alone a christian will inevitably evangelize it is in his very nature. To not evangelize is to go utterly against christian nature.

Was your last insult directed at Bolivar or me? I'll address that one if needed as well. If it's at Bolivar don't worry about it I agree.

You aren't even reading contextually. The above proves it. It wasn't an insult either. It was a criticism of your methodology.

Boliver responded to the above and you don't even comment or reply. You just move on as though it is water off he back of a duck and it has no effect upon you. This seems to be a common way of yours.

You aren't even reading contextually. The above proves it. It wasn't an insult either. It was a criticism of your methodology.

Well the way you quoted it showed that you quoted Bolivar. So, I believed it was directed at him. The same way below you quoted yourself and made it look like me....

Boliver responded to the above and you don't even comment or reply. You just move on as though it is water off he back of a duck and it has no effect upon you. This seems to be a common way of yours.

Note: I use the historical grammatical hermeneutic observing the law of non contradiction to answer the question.

Very simply. Have you read through any of the thread? There've been several instances of folks asserting this position with biblical basis. Ministry belongs to ministers. We must look at the word evangelism and see how it's used in Scripture. In Scripture, it belongs to ministers. The ministry of Reconicilation belongs to ministers. To place that burden upon laypersons is to do more than Scripture does. Evangelism means something more narrow in Scripture than the things which you've said. The problem is taking passages that apply to ministers of the Gospel, i.e. those who are "sent", and making that applicable to every Christian without exception.

That view is unbiblical. The Spirit of God lives in every christian or he isn't a christian. By just the fruits of the Spirit alone a christian will inevitably evangelize it is in his very nature. To not evangelize is to go utterly against christian nature.

David, I think it is time you stop. You aren't even discussing what is being said and you are just claiming something is wrong without any refutation. You are just saying it is wrong and it is because this is how you think. It is against Christian nature? What kind of defense is this?

David, I think it is time you stop. You aren't even discussing what is being said and you are just claiming something is wrong without any refutation. You are just saying it is wrong and it is because this is how you think. It is against Christian nature? What kind of defense is this?

I posted the fruits of the Spirit from Galatians 5 yesterday, among tons of other biblical support. To hide one's lamp under a bushel is against a reborn nature. If we really believe we share the gospel with others.

Note: I also supported you in this thread, however you turned against me. I suppose I'm not in the club.

Well the way you quoted it showed that you quoted Bolivar. So, I believed it was directed at him. The same way below you quoted yourself and made it look like me....

Note: I use the historical grammatical hermeneutic observing the law of non contradiction to answer the question.

The quotations were correct in this previous post you were responding to David. The quote function mixed it up when I was taking it from your last post. If you go look at what you responded to my point is made correctly.
see here.... http://www.puritanboard.com/f71/every-christian-missionary-every-place-missions-field-67689/index2.html#post868273

My point stands.

Give me the biblical definition of "evangelist" and please show me in Scripture where it applies to every Christian without exception. In fact, if it did, Scripture would then be disagreeing with itself since it prohibits women from preaching, etc.

There is a difference between preaching and sharing. Preaching is presenting God's testimony and sharing is presenting your own.

HOwever here is the passage that clearly explains what a christians purpose is:

9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

We are a holy priesthood and a chosen people for his own possesion SO THAT we may proclaim the excellencies of him. It is our very purpose.

Give me the biblical definition of "evangelist" and please show me in Scripture where it applies to every Christian without exception. In fact, if it did, Scripture would then be disagreeing with itself since it prohibits women from preaching, etc.

There is a difference between preaching and sharing. Preaching is presenting God's testimony and sharing is presenting your own.

We are a holy priesthood and a chosen people for his own possesion SO THAT we may proclaim the excellencies of him. It is our very purpose.

Point made again. You didn't do what Josh asked you to do. You obfuscate.

That's not what I asked for. You can't provide it. Evaneglism is not "sharing."

What you asked for is a waste of time. The definition of evangelist is not going to describe every christian nor is it even the correct path to be looking at. We are people who are born og God a chosen people who are supposed to proclaim God's excellencies.

So I decided not to waste time on a dead end and take you directly to the building with the big flashing neon sign.

My point stands.

What point. I honestly don't see one.

Read this very closely David........... VERY CLOSELY!

The quotations were correct in this previous post you were responding to David. The quote function mixed it up when I was taking it from your last post. If you go look at what you responded to my point is made correctly.
see here.... Is every Christian a missionary and every place a missions field?

My point stands.

Point made again. You didn't do what Josh asked you to do. You obfuscate.

What Josh asked me to do would lead no where so I fixed it.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Read this very closely David........... VERY CLOSELY!

...ok?

What you asked for is a waste of time.
Then stop using the term evangelize since you're not willing to inform yourself on its proper use.

Evangelize has a meaning. We are equipped to evengelize because God lives in us.

However we are not all Evangelists. That is someone who does it full time as their primary existance.

I can also type but I'm not a typist...etc

Evangelize is a good word to use and not only an evangelist is called to do it. I am an evangelical christian. My denomination evangelizes. All of us do. We are a denomination of an all saved membership...in theory of course.

Evangelize is a good work to use and not only an evangelist is called to do it.
Prove it biblically, then, which is what I originally asked.

Three places the word is mentioned. Nowhere does it say the laity are not to be evangelists.

2 Timothy 4:5 ESV
As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

Ephesians 4:11-12 ESV
And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers,12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ,

Acts 21:8 ESV
On the next day we departed and came to Caesarea, and we entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him

However this passage includes everyone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back