Is it a sin Not to sing uninspired hymns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

discipulo

Puritan Board Junior
rephrasing for the sake of clarity:

Is it a sin Not to sing uninspired hymns in the Public Worship of the Church?

I admit from the start this is a rhetorical question at best, eventually at its worst, you may even find it a loaded question. So be it.

I heard this question on a sermon defending Exclusive Psalmody and I found it breathtaking.

Why? Because in my opinion it presents the Regulative Principle of Worship in a nutshell.

But this was the preacher's question as his answer was a redundant NO. But it may not be yours. If so, why?

(Please notice that my question doesn't include scriptural inspired songs like the Benedictus, the song of Zechariah. Luke 1:68-79, yet feel free to comment on these vs the Psalms too.)

Its not a sin not to sin. Perhaps one of the better arguments for the singing of uninspired hymns might be "the elders say its ok". I have asked this question to an elder "What do you think of me not singing uninpired hymns" His answer was "The church does say its ok, and if your a member of this church you should sing them" However, I continue not to sing them.

I would say that not doing so ignores a Scriptural command (Ps 33:3, 96:1). At the very least it ignores something which the Scriptures clearly allow.

Hi.
First, I would think that according to strict-EPers, your question WOULD include the scritptural inspired songs.

But since I am not an EP-er, I won't focus on that.
Do I think it is a sin to not sing uninspired songs? It depends. I do not think it is a sin for an entire church to NOT sing uninspired songs. So if you go to an RP church and they are only singing hymns, I don't think that has to be sinful. It is my hope that the hymns that non-EPers sing are a reflection of Scripture, so I imagine that same reflection is coming out through the singing of the Psalms or the sermon or the prayers, etc. I doubt Jesus is neglected throughout the worship service, even if you sang only non-Messianic Psalms that week.

BUT, I think that it might be a sin to not sing the uninspired songs if you go to a church that sings uninspired songs (going with the premise that hymns are pleasing to the Lord, since that is what I believe). If your session has ruled it appropriate to sing hymns and you do not join the congregation, I think this may be sinful. Either by itself being sin to not participate in worship (which I don't know if that's true--is it a sin to not pray while the Pastor prays or to not take communion--without biblical reason--while the congregation does?), or by being an accuser to the consciences of your brethren. It also seems like a very American thing that we are comfortable with people making independent choices during worship--I think the truth of the corporateness of a congregation is forgotten when some sing and others don't. Obviously, if you are sick you are not taking authority into your own hands by not singing, but if you are overruling the rulings of your elders by decreeing something sinful that they declared right, you might be. Especially to those of us who are members of a PCA church who have vowed:
"To support the Church in its worship and work to the best of your ability?"

I grew up in an EP back ground. Its a difficult issues. I need a bit more explanation of what the pastor was talking about.
Are you asking if EPers are sin for only singing Psalms and excluding all other music?

I left this kind of legalism behind when I left the Roman Catholic Church.

Please read the rules of the EP forum which say...

Participants are reminded to be respectful of the Reformed Confessions and to avoid ad hominem labels of Pharisaism simply because a brother is more scrupulous.

2580367.gif

Jessi, while I was in the process of considering EP, my conscience struggled with the very thing you are talking about. I realized not too long ago that it is just as much sin for me to sing in doubt ("without faith it is impossible to please him," Heb. 11:6) and to obey with an "implicit faith" (see the section on Christian Liberty in the WCF). I do understand your concerns, though, and I struggled with that quite a bit.

It's not an issue now because now I'm convinced of EP.

Like many Reformed Christians, I believe that the Regulative Principle often leads to legalism. The OP's concern sounds to me like an instance of that.

Whether it does or not has nothing to do with whether or not it is correct.

It also seems like a very American thing that we are comfortable with people making independent choices during worship--I think the truth of the corporateness of a congregation is forgotten when some sing and others don't. Obviously, if you are sick you are not taking authority into your own hands by not singing, but if you are overruling the rulings of your elders by decreeing something sinful that they declared right, you might be. Especially to those of us who are members of a PCA church who have vowed:
"To support the Church in its worship and work to the best of your ability?"

This is a valid point, but I also vowed to "study its purity and peace," and that requires sticking to the RPW and the songs God has commanded. Also, the PCA's confession states:

WCF 22:2,
"God alone is Lord of the conscience, and hath left it free from the doctrines and commandments of men which are in any thing contrary to his Word, or beside it in matters of faith on worship. So that to believe such doctrines, or to obey such commandments out of conscience, is to betray true liberty of conscience; and the requiring an implicit faith, and an absolute and blind obedience, is to destroy liberty of conscience, and reason also."

Excuse me?

Like many Reformed Christians, I believe that the Regulative Principle often leads to legalism. The OP's concern sounds to me like an instance of that.
I guess, then, you're laying the charge of legalism at the feet of the Westminster Divines?

Do I believe that the Westminster Divines were out-and-out legalists? No. Do I believe that the Westminster Confession goes too far in certain little areas, with legalistic dangers/consequences? Yes, and in particular in its affirmation of the Regulative Principle of Worship. (And my profile indicates where I take exception to this great Confession -- I've never hid anything.)

I affirm the Normative Principle, as opposed to the Regulative Principle. Naturally, I have reasons for my rejection of the latter. You shouldn't be shocked by this, and there is no call here for you to attempt to peg me as some kind of 'enemy' of the Westminster Divines or their theology on this basis.

I would say that not doing so ignores a Scriptural command (Ps 33:3, 96:1). At the very least it ignores something which the Scriptures clearly allow.

Philip,

First, I might ask, are the Psalms prescriptive or descriptive? Second, I might ask, if these passages are in context of public worship or daily life. Most Psalms are of daily life, prayers to the Lord, etc. Third, are any of the Psalms you chose to mention in the context of public worship? Fourth, if in the context of public worship, are they not in the context of temple worship, of which Christ has fulfilled in His sacrifice? Fifth, if you believe these passages are prescriptive for us, then you must...it seems...take Psalm 150 as prescriptive, in which case you must in public worship praise God with trumpets, lutes, harps, tambourines, strings, pipe, cymbals (which are very loud by the way), and you must also have dancing in public worship. Notice the context of Ps. 150, "Praise the Lord, Praise God in his sanctuary..." At the very least, based on what you said, you must allow for these things to take place in public worship. If so, you would be outside the historic practice (even recent history) of presbyterianism (excluding the PC(USA) which is clearly now apostate, no offense to my PB PC(USA) brethren...please leave your denomination) and join a reformed denomination.

NOTE TO ALL: I say these things not as an EPer, but as one who believes in Scriptural songs only to be used in Public Worship.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

Also, Legalism (to have a definition here) is taking away or adding to Scripture. Legalism is not following Scripture.

Do I believe that the Westminster Divines were out-and-out legalists? No.

Make up your mind. If you believe the EP position is legalistic, keep your comments to yourself as per board rules. If you don't believe the EP position is legalistic, then don't don't refer to it as such.

This thread has struggled from the start because basically any answer to the OP is going to charge some group of confessional people with sin.

The 'search' function might yield better results. Sorry. :judge:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back