Is it Ever Acceptable for the Worship of the Church to Not Include Preaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. M. Sheffield

Puritan Board Graduate
Is ever acceptable for churches to hold services of worship without the preaching of God's word? I know of churches that have separate communion services without the word being preached. Many churches will have Christmas services that consist of nothing but Scripture reading and the singing of hymns. Can a church ever dispense with the preaching of God's Word in any service of worship? I tend to think not. But perhaps some of you here could bring more light to bear upon this question.

Given the Reformed emphasis on the preached word I would think it is omitted only as a matter of necessity (there is no minister to preach). Creating other things intentionally lacking preaching (worship services in all but the name) to get around the strict prescribed nature of God's worship, to give the people what they want, seems to me to speak for itself as far as how that should be viewed.

Many churches have missionary presentations when their missionary returns. Sometimes this consists of a sermon and sometimes a general report. And I am glad they do. I believe women can be missionaries but should not preach, but I am glad I have heard many testimonies of them ministering to gender-segregated women in the Middle East. So I am glad some churches allow these times.

When the Apostle Paul returned on his first journey he reported it all to the churches. What did that look like?

Maybe the concept of a "worship service" nowadays is much different in America of 2019 than in First Century Palestine or Asia Minor. I sense it was more organic and familial and included testimonies and a meal, etc. Probably a long affair like in some Third World countries. We've now turned it more into a tightly scheduled lecture in the West following a rock concert in some cases.

I've recently wondered something similar, about the balance between hearing God's Word and preaching. In most reformed churches it's about 10% Bible, 90% preaching.

I've recently wondered something similar, about the balance between hearing God's Word and preaching. In most reformed churches it's about 10% Bible, 90% preaching.
Current and last church (which covers years since 1984) had/have significant reading of Scripture (more in my old church which did two chapters in each service and we got through the whole bible and the psalms twice very seven years; we get through two chapters in the evening in my current church and less in the morning with the focus on selections relevant to the sermon).

I have found it to be quite the opposite, closer to 70% Bible, 30% preaching.
Really? The pastor spends more time reading the Bible than expounding it? How long are the average sermons you hear? I think I would prefer that balance moreso.

We still have an hour sermon or maybe 45 even with the readings and everything else including communion. Usually a 90 minute morning service. Small congregation.

Really? The pastor spends more time reading the Bible than expounding it? How long are the average sermons you hear? I think I would prefer that balance moreso.

Throughout the service we have an OT scripture reading, usually between 8-10 verses and an NT Scripture reading again 8-10 verses. This is followed by the scripture that the pastor is going to preach on.

Is ever acceptable for churches to hold services of worship without the preaching of God's word? I know of churches that have separate communion services without the word being preached. Many churches will have Christmas services that consist of nothing but Scripture reading and the singing of hymns. Can a church ever dispense with the preaching of God's Word in any service of worship? I tend to think not. But perhaps some of you here could bring more light to bear upon this question.
I can't imagine how we can expect to benefit from the sacrament without the Word accompanying it.

I have no problem with the church gathering to sing Psalms and read the Word, but if the church is assembled, why omit preaching? For the sake of a 'lessons and carols' tradition? Such traditions tend to foster sentimentality, but little more.

Church historian J. Gonzalez would agree with the fact that the Early Church service emphasize more on the sacrament, particular the Lord's Supper, than preaching God's word unlike Protestant communion. But in my conviction with Scriptural sanction, I believe a church service should places more emphasize on expository preaching according to (2 Timothy 4:1-5). I don't think a service riddled with rituals will satisfy the spirituality of every believer in the church. That's not to say that the sacraments instituted by Christ should be discarded. But as a former attendee of the Roman Catholic mass, I believe the lack of preaching tend to lead men to carnal inclination rather spiritual. All church members should understand the will of God through His blessed words.

I can't imagine how we can expect to benefit from the sacrament without the Word accompanying it.

I have no problem with the church gathering to sing Psalms and read the Word, but if the church is assembled, why omit preaching? For the sake of a 'lessons and carols' tradition? Such traditions tend to foster sentimentality, but little more.
In the southern US, it used to be fairly common to have a circuit-riding preacher bring the sermon once a month and for the congregation to gather for praise and prayer on the other Sundays. I mention this in part because I wonder if we may come to a point where we may have to borrow from these older practices. This last century or so, we have been sitting "in high cotton" to borrow another southernism.

In the southern US, it used to be fairly common to have a circuit-riding preacher bring the sermon once a month and for the congregation to gather for praise and prayer on the other Sundays. I mention this in part because I wonder if we may come to a point where we may have to borrow from these older practices. This last century or so, we have been sitting "in high cotton" to borrow another southernism.
No doubt. In such circumstances, it's best for an elder or other fit person to read a printed sermon, in my opinion, though. That was frequently done in the past.

At our church, we read a chapter from the New Testament in morning worship and a chapter form the Old Testament in the evening. These readings run consecutively through the respective Testaments. The preaching is separate. But the preaching averages 45 minutes to an hour. We have a mid-week prayer meeting which is mostly taken up in prayer, but there also, it is preceded by a brief meditation on some portion of Scripture before we turn to God in prayer.

Throughout the service we have an OT scripture reading, usually between 8-10 verses and an NT Scripture reading again 8-10 verses. This is followed by the scripture that the pastor is going to preach on

Sorry... struggling with the math.
So the reading of around 20 verses plus the sermon text takes more than twice as long as the sermon itself? :scratch:

Last edited:
Is ever acceptable for churches to hold services of worship without the preaching of God's word? I know of churches that have separate communion services without the word being preached. Many churches will have Christmas services that consist of nothing but Scripture reading and the singing of hymns. Can a church ever dispense with the preaching of God's Word in any service of worship?
Not in the ordinary Lord's Day worship, no, apart from in exceptional circumstances, such as the absence of a minister or a sudden sickness or death, etc. If Christians gather outside that stated time to sing psalms and pray, then that is fine (although a little bit of God's word could hardly hurt). But the corporate worship of the church must be centred around the word. When Christians forget that, they lose their moorings, so to speak.

Is ever acceptable for churches to hold services of worship without the preaching of God's word?
We gather on Christmas eve to read the birth narrative, sing and pray. We close our Christmas eve service by sharing the gospel. This is, of course, outside of the gathering on the Lord's day. Never on a Lord's day would we neglect the preaching and teaching of God's word. As far as having just a cantata or some program on Sunday for Christmas is not an option scripture dictates how one is to worship on the Lord's day (John 4:24; Phil. 3:3; Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 14:15-16; and 2 John 2:19;). The word must be preached and the ordinances are observed.

Sorry... struggling with the math.
So the reading of around 20 verses plus the sermon text takes more than twice as long as the sermon itself? :scratch:

Sorry, didn't realize we were talking about length of time... I thought we were talking about scripture that was read, verses scripture that was preached.

I know of a church in which every new year they have a special service where the book of Revelation is read though that service, and is not an "official service" as far as I know. Now I can imagine a church which received a letter from an apostle and the letter was read aloud on a Sunday morning officially. I know this may sound off but there is something about reading a large portion or entire book of scripture and allowing the words of God speak for themselves which in my opinion would be OK on some occasions. Come to think about it there are some great sermons in scripture which can stand alone.

I know of a church in which every new year they have a special service where the book of Revelation is read though that service, and is not an "official service" as far as I know. Now I can imagine a church which received a letter from an apostle and the letter was read aloud on a Sunday morning officially. I know this may sound off but there is something about reading a large portion or entire book of scripture and allowing the words of God speak for themselves which in my opinion would be OK on some occasions. Come to think about it there are some great sermons in scripture which can stand alone.
Jude comes to mind. Philemon. :)

I know of a church in which every new year they have a special service where the book of Revelation is read though that service, and is not an "official service" as far as I know.
Forgive me, but I would say, if a church has a service every year—it's official.

Anglican Churches historically had the Senior Warden, or someone who is a licensed Lay Reader read either the service of Morning Prayer, or Evening Prayer without a homily when no clergyman is present on a Lord's Day. I am told that Bishops sometimes license the lay readers to speak a Word of Exhortation, or licenses them to read Ryle, or one of the Church Fathers.

Last edited:
At our church, we read a chapter from the New Testament in morning worship and a chapter form the Old Testament in the evening. These readings run consecutively through the respective Testaments. The preaching is separate. But the preaching averages 45 minutes to an hour. We have a mid-week prayer meeting which is mostly taken up in prayer, but there also, it is preceded by a brief meditation on some portion of Scripture before we turn to God in prayer.

This sounds wonderful. I love that you simply read through the word as well as do sermons.

We have Christmas Eve service, with songs of praise and prayers only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back