Is it ever rude to ask for prayers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InSlaveryToChrist

Puritan Board Junior
This is something I've been struggling with for a long time, but have never took up for one reason or another. Is it ever rude to ask for prayers? In other words, Is it ever inappropriate to ask others to invest their time to pleading with God for your cause? Yet in other words, Is it ever wrong to ask others to pray for the advancement of the Kingdom of God?

I ask this because I realize I'm in a constant need of prayer. If, indeed, it is never wrong to ask for prayers, because it is ultimately for the glory of God, then shouldn't we all be always asking each other to pray for one another? Isn't this one of the means with which God has been pleased to further our sanctification, namely, "iron sharpening iron" through prayer?

As to the question is it rude to ask others for prayers, I have never considered the question.
But if it any consolation, I have often wished others would ask me to keep them in prayer more often than they do.
It would be much more uniting in our Christian Fellowship if we knew more specifically how to pray for others on occasion.

I would say that if one does ask another for prayer it would only be right for the requester to keep those whom they have made the request to, informed of the situation as it progresses.

It is very encouraging to me when I get to see prayers answered. Sometimes I never know when to stop praying for them, and I never know if the need remains.

I hope I did not side track too much.

No I do not think it is rude to ask for prayer. I know how you feel though, sometimes I do not ask for prayer thinking I'm wearing out the saints. Example when my wife was back in hospital I did not ask for prayer. But that is me being stupid. There are times I do not let my pastor know due to him being a busy man and having his own problems. I do let a couple others know from church though.

Samuel I will add you to my prayer list. If you have anything specif just PM me if you want. But not needed. But I rather pray for specif needs of the person. I find it easier than just trying to figure what to pray for.

It's never rude to ask for prayers. We're commanded to bear each other's burdens. Frankly, it's one of the few things in life that I don't have a problem "being driven nuts" over.

However, as a side note relating to this, it is never a good idea to ask for prayers from your fellow brethren in Christ regarding a particular matter (especially one that is personal), and then turn around and not "pray without ceasing" over it. It's not to say you shouldn't ask for prayer if you're in one of those spiritual depressions that we all get into at some point in our walk with Christ. Not saying that at all. If it is regarding you in particular, it would be seen almost as hypocrisy since there would be legitimate questions as to why you're asking for God's will to be revealed from others but not asking God Himself.

It's never rude to ask for prayers. We're commanded to bear each other's burdens. Frankly, it's one of the few things in life that I don't have a problem "being driven nuts" over.

However, as a side note relating to this, it is never a good idea to ask for prayers from your fellow brethren in Christ regarding a particular matter (especially one that is personal), and then turn around and not "pray without ceasing" over it. It's not to say you shouldn't ask for prayer if you're in one of those spiritual depressions that we all get into at some point in our walk with Christ. Not saying that at all. If it is regarding you in particular, it would be seen almost as hypocrisy since there would be legitimate questions as to why you're asking for God's will to be revealed from others but not asking God Himself.

Never ask for prayer in the bathroom, that is rude.

I agree with all the above comments. The one thing I would caution, as I have been in this "trap" before, is that to be sure the prayer is not directed toward "my own selfish" needs.

I have seen myself sometimes praying for something, and in the end, I realized I was praying for self preservation or something along those lines....

But praying for something for the advancement of God, for someone's comfort when depressed, or injured, or sick....or even on God guiding on a major financial decision...always wise...

I'll hold back on a prayer request if there are concerns that are significantly more pressing. You know those situations, when your own problems seem so small compared with things with which others have to deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back