Is it ok for a Christian to smoke cannabis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, when I was much younger I drank a lot and I smoked pot quite a few times. I was *far* more impaired by alcohol.

I find it very interesting that many Christians have no problems with prescription drugs which alter mood and pain perception (sometimes in mysterious or non-beneficial ways) merely because our government says they are morally acceptable. Didn't God did say we could eat any plant in the garden (except that one tree)?

I'll pass on the salad.

SIDEBAR: no "I didn't inhale " jokes yet.....I'm surprised.:detective:

For the record, when I was much younger I drank a lot and I smoked pot quite a few times. I was *far* more impaired by alcohol.

I find it very interesting that many Christians have no problems with prescription drugs which alter mood and pain perception (sometimes in mysterious or non-beneficial ways) merely because our government says they are morally acceptable. Didn't God did say we could eat any plant in the garden (except that one tree)?

I'll pass on the salad.

You missed post #18:

Or, to quote ol' Bill C., "Ah never (sup) exhaled!"

I'd like to just jump in here and state FTR my personal experience/belief.
You can smoke and get "high" and still function and have a worthwhile time. I used to smoke and study Scriptures for HOURS at a time and the whole time be completely glued to what I was reading... Now I can't read anything for more than 15 mins without my mind wandering. It's been four years since we last smoked on a daily basis. (For those who are now counting, our oldest is 5)
Before smoking I would get migraines once or twice a WEEK. We had no insurance and so I would go to the ER because I couldn't stop vomitting and passing out. I smoked and with in a year they quit completely. After we stopped smoking the migraines returned (Praise God, it wasn't near as frequently) but I would go to the hospital and they would give me drugs that made me higher than any pot I've ever smoked. THEN (get this) my dr. gave me a prescription for the migraines. Two pills were (after insurance)$100. that's an extra $200 a month that's $2400 a YEAR!!!!! We didn't have the money. So now were were back at square one.
You can smoke a joint and be a reasonable, intelligent, individual carrying on a reasonable, intelligent converstation. When I have a glass of wine I "feel funny". I'm not drunk but I am "under the influence" it's the same with pot. Smokers get a bad rap but you know... like everything else it gets generalized and demonized.
I'm pro pot all the way... I just abstain because it's not legal.

I guess my question would be for all the pro recreational users here.

If a small amount of pot is with in the bounds of christian liberty, then what about only shooting a small amount of heroine, a small line of coke or just a small bump of speed? Can one partake of these other drugs in small amounts for recreational purposes? Presuming of course they are legal to use.

From looks of these responses..

if MJ becomes legal Afroman is going to have another verse...I was suppose to go church but I got...:sing::sing::sing:

If a small amount of pot is with in the bounds of christian liberty, then what about only shooting a small amount of heroine, a small line of coke or just a small bump of speed? Can one partake of these other drugs in small amounts for recreational purposes? Presuming of course they are legal to use.
don't know... never tried those

don't know... never tried those

Well just like pot, you can get different amounts of high depending on the amount you use.

but see my answer is.. I wouldn't know what was in christian liberty bounds because I have never tried them. I think it would be wrong to say outright something because it would be just some random "goody-good" answer

but see my answer is.. I wouldn't know what was in christian liberty bounds because I have never tried them. I think it would be wrong to say outright something because it would be just some random "goody-good" answer

so, would you try them if legal?

I would say that i would be within our liberty to use, like alcohol, as long as it were not abused. One can smoke a little weed in the same way that one can have a little bit to drink.

I would have to respectfully disagree with you David. Unfortunately, I have smoked many times in my life, and that is simply not the case with me, and maybe no one else I know. As I've heard my pastor say, "You can drink alcohol without being drunk. You cannot smoke pot and not be altered. You're either high or you're not. There is no in between." In my experience, I would have to agree.

See above. I don't care what your pastor says. You may not bind my conscience with your experience or his. Furthermore, he's wrong. One can be in between. It's called a buzz, and the same terminology to describe a minor state of intoxication brought about by alcohol consumption. But now all we're going on is your/his experience vs. mine, so we'd better stop now because we're going to end up fencing the law.

Maybe you misunderstood me. I apologize, I was not quoting my pastor because I think he is some kind of higher moral authority and what he says is binding. I was quoting him because, simply, I agree with the quote and wasn't in a very plagiaristic mood at the time. As far as my experience goes, it is only that. I smoked pot for years and have many pothead friends. We drank and smoked regularly. I have never once seen similarities between a little alcohol, and a little pot. If someone could show me that pot could be smoked in moderation without it altering your behavior, thus controlling you and violating Scripture, I would be open to reconsidering. However, I have a feeling it cannot be done.

so, would you try them if legal?

Even if it is legal, one hit and you are STONED aka MASTERED by it. One reason people's mistakes are recorded in Scripture is so we don't have to make them for our own learning experience. My experience is not Scripture, but I would like to lead people away from temptation of getting stoned and possibly deceiving themselves to go down a harmful path. Take it from a former user, avoid it for experimental or recreational purposes. It is a powerful seducer of the flesh.

-----Added 3/14/2009 at 11:51:17 EST-----

I'll pass on the salad.

You missed post #18:

Or, to quote ol' Bill C., "Ah never (sup) exhaled!"

I just noticed.....it is actually an exhale joke, not inhale joke. However it is an indirect reference to slickwillies antics.

I opted to stay out of this one
because I have so many angles I would have to address.
A government saying something God made is illegal for you to grow, what a Christian should do regarding laws in other countries, what a Christian can do at home without causing anyone to stumble etc.
...but now I will throw this out.
I have done annectdotal studies in this area.
This is my finding.
A fine glass of wine has done the same thing for me that a hit can do without any of the potential problems.
At this point in life that settles it for me.

Wow... I'm suprised how many reformed folks are pro weed! lol

It was the discussion on 'smoking' which sparked this question for me.

I happen to think... smoking (weed or otherwise) does not really honor God as it damages the body which is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

2. Cannabis is known to spark mental health issues especially if mental health runs in the family. Cannabis sparks paranoia, anxiety attacks and deppression. For these reasons it would not be good.

3. This a personal opinion, but I also think mind altering drugs opens up a person to the spiritual world. Many pagans use these types of drugs in their rituals for this reason. So spiritualy it can cause problems.

4. We have the Holy Ghost who is joy unspeakable, He is better than Pot, He is the Lord of Glory and He dwells in me and all who believe. Why settle for a lesser substitute?

Just some thoughts.

I apologise if my comment is too obvious, or has been mentioned already in other discussions on the subject:

Is it worth considering the associations with smoking pot, for instance the example it sets for non-Christians who would assume that a Christian would never be a pot-smoker? A similar argument is often used (rightly or wrongly) on other debatable issues, for example some people say Christians shouldn't listen to rock music because the very style of music is associated with certain lifestyles and therefore has an added "signifier". Most secular people are opposed to pot-smokers and assume negative things of secular pot-smokers; wouldn't they be doubly shocked to see Christians taking pot?

PS this is my first post; mostly I just read the threads on this board! I joined up recently.

I apologise if my comment is too obvious, or has been mentioned already in other discussions on the subject:

Is it worth considering the associations with smoking pot, for instance the example it sets for non-Christians who would assume that a Christian would never be a pot-smoker? A similar argument is often used (rightly or wrongly) on other debatable issues, for example some people say Christians shouldn't listen to rock music because the very style of music is associated with certain lifestyles and therefore has an added "signifier". Most secular people are opposed to pot-smokers and assume negative things of secular pot-smokers; wouldn't they be doubly shocked to see Christians taking pot?

PS this is my first post; mostly I just read the threads on this board! I joined up recently.
Welcome Zac. You raise an important point - right or wrong, if by doing it you cause your weaker brother to stumble, there is a problem!

Short answer no just because something is legal doesn't mean it's good or right. Prostitution is legal in The Netherlands but I doubt anyone would argue that makes it right or o.k.:2cents:

Recreation use: pretty questionable
Medical use: yes, if it is distributed as a pharmaceutical (no grow-your-own)
Hemp products: yes (I like a hemp oil hand cream a lot. My hands are, like, far out!)

If it is good for someone to use medicinally, if it is legal, why would you say it would be wrong to grow your own? I think we are way too dependent on the Fed to tell us what we should and should not be doing. I do not need a prescription for tylenol and honestly, I am an adult--I should not need a prescription for any drug out there. If I knew it was what I needed, I should be allowed to go buy it.
Sure, there are people who will abuse this and buy drugs they don't truly need, but whose responsibility is that? Certainly not the gov't. I mean, what if the gov't started saying that growing your own peanuts is illegal because some people are allergic to them and Uncle Sam thinks that they need another adult to first tell them that it is OK for them to eat peanuts. And just advice is not enough, that advice is required in order to purchase peanuts.

OK. A non-Christian does not know the ultimate truth. A non-Christian may believe that doing "good" gets him to heaven, or it gives him better karma, etc. But we are not beholden to that person's idea of righteousness. He might think it is wrong to spank your kids. He might think it is wrong to drink wine. He might think it is wrong for a mother to stay home and be a mother. He might think it is wrong to have more than one kid. There are plenty of things that another person may disagree with. Instead of deciding to live to please that person, we should be willing to explain why we feel that what we do is NOT wrong. If what we do offends them, then we can try to not do it around them. Paul did say, to the Greek, be Greek. I don't think this was at all times, because to the Jew, we are to be Jews. So we do take another person's preconceived notions into account, but we do not let their rule become ours.

Welcome Zac. You raise an important point - right or wrong, if by doing it you cause your weaker brother to stumble, there is a problem!

I don't think a non-Christian would be a weaker brother. But if we are talking about a weaker brother, that would mean someone who thinks pot is wrong and who would be tempted by our use, right (and it would be wrong for him, b/c he could not do it in faith!)? Sure, in front of them, do not partake!

I'm pretty sure I already said this pages ago on this thread: I personally do not like pot, but still think other adults who do should be allowed to use it at their own discretion.

I once knew a man who smoked pot once a day. All he did the rest of the day was read God's word, pray, sing and worship. When talking to anyone, he was very lucid, and often seemed to be operating on all cylinders.He was friendly, sharp as a tack, and never missed a day of work for 12 years, as the auditor of a huge resort. What gives? For some, pot slows down. For others, it speeds up. To some, it hinders. To others, it improves. So what happened? He quit smoking because he caught a lung infection, fungus oriented. He promised the Lord he'd never smoke again if He healed him. The man received the healing, flushed the pot down the commode, and never touched the stuff again. But he was never quite the same. Now he's into vitamin supplements. Oh well. Sometimes things aren't always so cut and dry. We Reformed ones like our faith to be like a mathematical equation. When things don't add up, we always can say God is soverign.

After you resign as an officer of the church, I would say no He did not say we could eat any plant. And certainly not smoke any plant.
We are not in the garden now.

Did He say you could eat poison oak, hemlock, nightshade belladonna, all mushrooms, etc? No He made some plants poisonous and we are to use our sound mind to determine what to eat and what not to eat.
Things that cause death or damage and impair brain cells and our nervous system would not be ones to eat. We are warned not to abuse wine or use strong drink because it impairs our thinking.
The same is true of chemicals and we should be careful of what is being put in our foods. By the way, Cola is not a food.

But I agree with you that Christians should not go the way of the world and be sucked into Phamakea (which is the greek word translated sorcery), it is a deception, and using mind altering drugs just because a doctor tells them to. This can be as wrong as using illegal narcotics.

Worry and Depression are a choice, they are sin and we are commanded to seek a solution in Christ to these. I do not see liberty to be worried or depressed here.
Phil 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, NKJV
1 Thess 5:16 Rejoice always , 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. NKJV

Also There are natural non-mind altering alternatives for most of these so called mental or psychological conditions and sleeplessness.

I recommend Jay Adams for counseling in these matters 1st.

Using natural nutrients and herbs that are safe is pretty much a necessity due to the ways our foods are commercially grown and processed now days.

Now there may be a few rare extreme cases where for a sort period of time to get one under control they could have legitimate use. But I and other natural physicians and health professionals have helped many people come off of all sorts of psychotropic drugs and out of mental institutions with diet and natural supplements.
We even have herbs that will take people off if heroin with no side effects.

You can't believe all that God has created for us in nature.
But we left off what Luke the physician was doing in trade for the instant relief and "Free" covered by insurance, drug route; forgetting that it may conflict with our God's guidance.

I have been doing this for over 30 years since God delivered me from becoming a medical doctor in college and pointed me to non-chemical and natural use of His creation for health.
He taught me how He preserved His people for thousands of years before the new age drugs that all have toxic side effects, are poisonous and when properly prescribed are still the 3rd leading cause of death.
The church really needs to do some homework here. It is an area we have really been deceived and sucked into the world.

1 Cor 3:16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are. NKJV

So many commands to be sober minded

Titus 2:2 that the older men be sober, reverent, temperate,NKJV
4 that they may train the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5(to be) sober-minded, chaste, ASV
6 Likewise, exhort the young men to be sober-minded, 7 in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works NKJV

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. NKJV

1 Peter 4:7 The end of all things is at hand; therefore, be of sound judgment and sober spirit for the purpose of prayer NASB

1 Peter 1:13 Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, NKJV

1 Thess 5:6 Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. NKJV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back