Is it okay to watch the movie Thor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weston Stoler

Puritan Board Sophomore
Mark Driscoll has would say that we should penetrate culture and learn about our culture that we could influence it with the Gospel. What is your take on Christians watching things like Thor.

Is it okay to listen to classical music? To read a fiction book? To take a nap? To cook a gourmet meal or eat at McDonalds? None of these directly benefit us spiritually, but there's nothing wrong with enjoying all of the good that God has given us. Watching a movie (with discernment, of course) is the same thing. Enjoy the movie, take the good from it, and praise God for the rest and entertainment it provided.

That's the difference between what a Christian enjoys versus a non-Christian. Non-Christians have no one to thank for all the enjoyable things around them. We can do ALL things with thanksgiving and for the glory of God--eating, drinking, sleeping, watching a movie.

My son Daniel said it was one of the better movies to come out lately. And there isn't much worth being entertained over. So I am looking forward to seeing it.

What specific objections do you think one might have?

false God's.
I myself want to watch it. although i have alot of friends who would object because of the subject matter.

Do you plan on bowing down and worshipping these false Gods? Be entertained (if you so choose) by the film and thank the living God for your time of enjoyment.

BTW, I saw the film and I enjoyed it but felt it needed a lot more booty-kicking by Thor and less of him trying to hook-up w/Natalie Portman.

Do chicks really dig buffed dudes in scale-mail and a cape? I'm fairly buff, but don't dress that nice. Maybe that's my problem.

I took my youngest, who has Down's, and he's been swinging an imaginary hammer since then. But Sif was blonde in real life. And both Thor and Loki had red hair. So, I had problems with verisimilitude, but no real theological problems. I had a good time telling my construction crew the true story, and they just ate it up. Nothing like bringing comic books to life to bring encourage education in youth.

Mark Driscoll has would say that we should penetrate culture and learn about our culture that we could influence it with the Gospel.

In general though, he would be clear that watching things that have an ungodly message should be avoided. Have you seen him rip on Twilight or reading The Shack?

false God's.

Oh dear, I read The Iliad and Till We Have Faces in High School. Unless you know someone who is having serious issues with Thor worship, I wouldn't worry about it---read a bit of CS Lewis on mythology sometime.

:ditto:, My English Class is reading the Odyssey at the moment, I just need to think constantly on the truth of our living God compared to the myths of the Greeks.

What specific objections do you think one might have?

false God's.
I myself want to watch it. although i have alot of friends who would object because of the subject matter.

To be fair, in the movie it is shown that they are not really gods, but just a race of scientifically advanced people (although if memory serves, that was not the case in the comics).

Really that is interesting. maybe it adjusted to american religious pressure?

I haven't seen the movie. A movie (or book) about mythology is not wrong in itself. What would keep me from watching such a movie is much the same as any other movie: What world view is it trying to protray? Is nakedness uncovered? Is sin elevated as good? Will watching it place worthless things before my eyes? and so on.

One should never go against his own conscience. But then again, one should never trust his own conscience either. Conscience is a mere alarm that tells us when to immediately go to God's Word to straighten our thinking.

And as John Piper would say: "Don't ask, 'Am I permitted to do this as a Christian?' Instead ask, 'Am I a slave to this act? Is this food or drink or sex or hobby or work becoming my master instead of my servant?'"

A movie (or book) about mythology is not wrong in itself. What would keep me from watching such a movie is much the same as any other movie: What world view is it trying to protray? Is nakedness uncovered? Is sin elevated as good? Will watching it place worthless things before my eyes? and so on.

Lawrence is so right. Some things, like blasphemy or obscenity, are hard to miss and so you know exactly where you are. However, every work of art has a worldview of some kind lurking behind it, which it will also be plugging at some level, either more or less aggressively. That's what I think Christians should be alert to most of all and all the time, whether we're reading novels, hearing music or watching films.

The main reason I dont listen to secular music anymore is because I saw how it was influencing me. It does not influence my friends as much as it does me. In the same way I am sure some people cannot handle watching certain movies and doing certain things without falling.

I think it is fine to watch a movie like Thor with discernment, but let's not kid ourselves into believing that we are somehow advancing the gospel by doing so. There is nothing inherently sinful about engaging in entertainment activities, it is all in where we place it in our lives. If the entertainment in question creates undue temptation or becomes more important than God or family, then it is wrong. If not, then there is nothing wrong with enjoying a movie.

So I am reading that those who saw Thor liked it?

Would you say it is a date night with the wife movie or a movie to watch with the guys?

It would be really nice for movie producers to fork out millions in the production of a movie entitled "The God According To The Scriptures" I never understood why they have not yet. I mean there would be tons of glory, blood, and guts!

Thor was OK. 6/10. It's kind of difficult to follow, and the romance is not at all convincing. The message is pretty good, though.

There is nothing inherently sinful about engaging in entertainment activities

I disagree. There are some forms of entertainment that would clearly cause one to sin by viewing it.

other then p0rnography would you like the clarify the types of entertainment? :bueller:

Well many films contain the same elements that make p0rnography sinful. Just because a film isn't explicitly categorized as "p0rnography" doesn't mean there aren't things in it we shan't place before our eyes.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

in addition I can think of a TV show that regularly (or at least it used to) features scenes of what is supposed to be our Lord in some of the most blasphemous situations one can think of. I don't see how rank blasphemy can be viewed without searing a Christian's conscience.

I disagree. There are some forms of entertainment that would clearly cause one to sin by viewing it.

other then p0rnography would you like the clarify the types of entertainment? :bueller:

Well many films contain the same elements that make p0rnography sinful. Just because a film isn't explicitly categorized as "p0rnography" doesn't mean there aren't things in it we shan't place before our eyes.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

in addition I can think of a TV show that regularly (or at least it used to) features scenes of what is supposed to be our Lord in some of the most blasphemous situations one can think of. I don't see how rank blasphemy can be viewed without searing a Christian's conscience.

Like family guy. I was turning the channels and found that they where making fun of Jesus by calling him a pedophile. that is blasphamous.

Like family guy. I was turning the channels and found that they where making fun of Jesus by calling him a pedophile. that is blasphamous.

Exactly the show I was thinking of.

Back when I used to watch Family Guy they had an episode where Meg becomes a Christian (because Kirk Cameron is hot and Kirk Cameron was on Christian TV :rolleyes:) and has to be convinced by the atheist dog Brian that she is wrong. Of course looking back Brians "arguements" where theologically incorrect and based on emotion :wow:.

Just because a film isn't explicitly categorized as "p0rnography" doesn't mean there aren't things in it we shan't place before our eyes.

I agree. And I'm astonished how many here on PB watch movies, presuming they can keep themselves from sinful desires in the middle of all those temptations! I must say I'm too weak for movies, and that's why I don't watch them. I'm not saying watching movies is sinful, just that I'm not spiritually mature enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back