Is it Sinful to do Anything that is Unwise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherPaul

Puritan Board Senior
There may be many aspects to this question:

Is it a sin to be foolish? Or in other words, is it a sin to act in a stupid manner, i.e. without using reason to the glory of God.

Is this self conscious? Are you aware you're being stupid or are you merely exhibiting your falliblity and inexperience?

This verse gets me a lot, especially at the end of a looooooong day:

Pro 24:9 The thought of foolishness [is] sin: and the scorner [is] an abomination to men.

I think there are things that are not counted as sin against you but they profit you nothing.

and then there is this which seems less about things you might do and more about foolish and useless discussions:

Titus 3:9
But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless.

This question stems from other discussions that seem to resolve in executing wisdom.

For instance, this thread in regards to modesty.

And this thread in regards to bearing arms to protect your family.

And then this thread on Christians sending their children to Public schools.

If it is wise for a Christian to do one thing, but does another, then is that sinful?

This is an interesting question. I think, as others have pointed out, it is important to define ‘unwise’ precisely. There is certainly a kind of ‘foolishness’ that I think the bible would equate almost equal to sin. However, there is are also some actions that some people might consider unwise, yet others might just consider them as requiring a little more care and prudence to deal with the risks, and to the extent that neither choice can be proven as commanded from the bible, I think we need to accept that in certain choices, even ones involving wisdom, there is a element or degree of Christian liberty. Certain choices might require their maker to exercise a little more care to compensate for additional risk, but that is not the same as saying it is sinful to make them.

As an example, in 1 Corinthians 8-10, Paul is dealing with the problem of idol-meat and is teaching the Corinthians not to use their liberty to eat the meat in such a way as to stumble or offend others. When he gets to chapter 10 and begins giving some practical examples, he does not tell the Corinthians to abstain from meat to minimize the risk to stumbling someone, he tells them since it is not a sin to eat they can go ahead, if they are so inclined, but gives them precautions on what to do if the situation develops such as they cannot eat without giving offence. For instance, in verse 27 he deals with an unbeliever’s invitation to dinner. Since apparently there was a reasonable chance this unbeliever would be serving up meat offered to idols, to accept the invitation to eat would involve a slightly higher risk to offending or stumbling someone than simply declining the invitation. But that slightly higher risk does not necessarily change anything as far as righteousness is concerned. Paul told them it was still their choice to go if they wanted… they just had to take precautions make sure they did nothing to offend those present (“But if any man say unto you…”).

I guess my point is that the most conservative is not necessarily the most holy option, and if God appears to have given some discretion my not stating things black and white in his word, so should we. IT all boils down to a consideration of the individual case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back