Is it wise or foolish to take a Gap Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamalas

whippersnapper
I'm finishing up my college degree right now and will hopefully be graduating in May of 2014. I'll be 24 years old at that time and I plan on pursuing a call to pastoral ministry once I finish my college education. I'm hoping to attend Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary to get my M.Div. I'm also considering the possiblity of ministry in the UK so I'm strongly leaning towards doing a one year ministerial internship with MTW in between college and seminary.

With that background, here is my question: is it wise or foolish to think about doing a "Gap Year" between that internship and my seminary studies? I absolutely love to travel and would relish the chance to explore new places and gain new experiences (probably either in Europe or Asia). Taking a year to teach English (or maybe doing farmwork: WWOOF Association | WWOOF Organizations, Hosting and Volunteer Exchange) would be a great way for me to fulfill this desire at little to no cost. However, the chances of my being able to do this and come out ahead financially are pretty slim (unless I could find a position teaching ESL in Korea which I would love, but it looks like you have to have an accredited degree and my school is unaccredited). On my own terms I think it would be worth doing, but I'm concerned about whether or not this is really wise for a Christian to do.

We have so little time on this earth is it selfish for me to want to take a year more or less for myself? Am I putting off the opportunity to truly minister so that I can live out my own fantasies? I feel like I could justify it more if it would help me save money for seminary, but what if I simply took a year (for example) teaching ESL in Germany and came out of that in the exact same place (financially) as where I started? What if I actually lose money from my savings between the internship and seminary? Is this the best (or even an appropriate) use of my time and money?

I know there's no black and white answer here, so I guess I'm really looking for sanctified Christian wisdom here. What advice/experience do y'all have to share?

Last edited:
I'm also considering the possiblity of ministry in the UK so I'm strongly leaning towards doing a one year ministerial internship with MTW in between college and seminary.

With that background, here is my question: is it wise or foolish to think about doing a "Gap Year" between that internship and my seminary studies? I absolutely love to travel and would relish the chance to explore new places and gain new experiences (probably either in Europe or Asia).

Can these two not be combined? Very much think they can.

Will this create or add to debt? If you can figure out a way to come out even, I think this can be a great (and wise!) experience. Why do I say this? Consider the following article:

Why do rookie pastors get fired?

Don't know if this is sanctified....

My wife did a missions gap year, and she loved it and would do it again. I did not do a gap year and sort of wish that I had, but I didn't have any really good ideas at the time.

I'm pro-travel, in general, and I think that a little world experience might help you later in the ministry. Pray about it. Consult your parents, pastor, and others.

All things being equal, I'd do it.

"Can these two not be combined? Very much think they can.

Will this create or add to debt? If you can figure out a way to come out even, I think this can be a great (and wise!) experience. Why do I say this? Consider the following article:

Why do rookie pastors get fired? "

Thanks for the advice (and the article) both are helpful!

I'm curious, do you have a particular idea of how I could combine the internship and the gap year? Part of why I'm thinking of doing both rather than just counting the internship as a gap year is that while the internship would allow me to explore the British Isles the rest of the world would remain unseen! ;) (Yes, I admit, I have the travel bug bad...)

As far as debt goes, part of the reason that I won't be graduating until I'm 24 (instead of the more normal 21) is that I didn't want to go into any debt. So I have absolutely zero debt and when I graduate next May I'll have several thousand dollars in the bank.

Dear Ben,

May I humbly suggest learning a trade/'regular' calling, starting a family, and establishing yourself in this regard before pursuing pastoral ministry? Maybe a couple of 'Gap' years? Are you under care of the session of Heartland and its Presbytery? I'm sure they will have some advice for you as well.

I can certainly appreciate this advice. In many ways (although not all) that is exactly what I have been blessed to do over the past 4 years. I worked full time at a law firm from 2010-2011 and am now finishing up my degree on-line while continuing to work part time at the firm. I have been living at home (as God has not yet blessed me with a bride) and am active in my family, my church, and my community. A big part of that has been testing my gifts in the Church to validate my call to the ministry.

To me the "Gap Year" would really be a time to travel abroad and gain personal experience that I won't be able to get later in life. :)

the internship would allow me to explore the British Isles the rest of the world would remain unseen!

If you have never been to Britain, then you might find that there is enough to see there to satisfy you. However, once you are in Europe, other countries with different culture and language are just a quick plane or train ride away. RyanAir will get you there cheap.

However, the chances of my being able to do this and come out ahead financially are pretty slim (unless I could find a position teaching ESL in Korea which I would love, but it looks like you have to have an accredited degree and my school is unaccredited).

I highly recommend it. World experience in the form of living in (not visiting) a foreign country, especially the second and third world, often times puts things in perspective. And this would be great for a potential minister such as yourself.

Many Universities in China would love to have you as long as you have a degree and TESOL certificate (you can get one on the internet). Pay is decent, living is cheap.

Good points, all around.

A sabbatical is a biblical concept.
I'm not sure if it exactly applies here but it might.

I would not hesitate to prudently plan a year provided the Lord has provided means to do it, and you are not neglecting the most important or running away from responsiblity.

A combination of work, volunteer, study and travel,
after every 6 years.

Sounds great.

Thanks for the advice all! I'll definitely be giving this more thought and prayer as well as talking this through with trusted counselors. Anybody else want to chime in their :2cents:?

Hmmm, someone with a legal background pursuing theology. I think history has seen this before :)

Ben, there are all kinds of ways to live, learn and grow. School and jobs are just a few ways. If you're traveling on the cheap, you can meet all kinds of great people in hostels, and likely would get an ear full of the latest "cool" philosophies that are, in turn, fueling emerging churches and other divergent views. Attaching a gap year to schooling is wise. To do so mid-career can leave a suspicious gap in your resume.

Hmmm, someone with a legal background pursuing theology. I think history has seen this before :)

Ben, there are all kinds of ways to live, learn and grow. School and jobs are just a few ways. If you're traveling on the cheap, you can meet all kinds of great people in hostels, and likely would get an ear full of the latest "cool" philosophies that are, in turn, fueling emerging churches and other divergent views. Attaching a gap year to schooling is wise. To do so mid-career can leave a suspicious gap in your resume.

Well, fortunately I'm not a lawyer :judge:, I just do normal office work for one. :)

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I'm strongly considering trying to blend my internship with some time living in Europe (as was suggest above). Maybe doing a six month missions internship followed by another six months of working my way through Western Europe (the British Isles, France, Italy, Germany, and Switzerland). :cheers:

I certainly hope so... :D

I wouldn't follow the Grand Tour model too closely - even Boswell managed to get into some scrapes and hijinks on his. No doubt not being much addicted to spirituous liquors will be of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back