Is Sunday school public or private worship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Kelly

Inactive User
My church, as just about all others do, has a Sunday school program set up. I am currently the teacher of the middle school, but recently have had some concerns come up regarding my role in that. If Sunday school is a church ordained time of public fellowship and worship, then are the only people who should be allowed to teach elders? Should Sunday school simply be regarded as another bible study, and thus private worship, overseen by the church? Just curious what you all think. Thanks.

In most of our churches, Sunday School is not viewed as worship. It is religious instruction.

Insofar as that instruction is conducted under the direct oversight/ supervision of the session, it is therefore approved by the church and is regulated by the Word, regarding women in the position of instructors, for example. In that case, analogous to the propriety of mothers instructing their own children, both male and female children may be taught by women, if they are already under their mother's teaching authority. And of course, older women are commanded by God to teach the younger women, so women may also lead women-segregated classes. What more appropriate venue for such instruction than the church precincts, and on the day of worship, when the people of God are already resorting together for the public worship of God (either before or after said service)?

Now, if in fact it is appropriate in certain church contexts for approved women with fit gifts (who cannot be ordained) to teach, then it is equally certain that approved men, also with fit gifts, may be approved to teach.

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum
In most of our churches, Sunday School is not viewed as worship. It is religious instruction.

Insofar as that instruction is conducted under the direct oversight/ supervision of the session, it is therefore approved by the church and is regulated by the Word, regarding women in the position of instructors, for example. In that case, analogous to the propriety of mothers instructing their own children, both male and female children may be taught by women, if they are already under their mother's teaching authority. And of course, older women are commanded by God to teach the younger women, so women may also lead women-segregated classes. What more appropriate venue for such instruction than the church precincts, and on the day of worship, when the people of God are already resorting together for the public worship of God (either before or after said service)?

Now, if in fact it is appropriate in certain church contexts for approved women with fit gifts (who cannot be ordained) to teach, then it is equally certain that approved men, also with fit gifts, may be approved to teach.

:ditto:

For what it's worth, I think the officers of the church should be the primary source for teachers, especially adult classes where things can get a bit hairy.

I think the elders should be the sole teachers within a Lord's Day context for any given congregation. If there are "bible studies" going on during the week, then women could of course teach women and lay men could lead in private study sessions, but I don't think it is necessarily appropriate or wise on the Lord's Day.

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum

does anyone know if the PCA has a specific policy on elders only as Sunday School teachers? I have seen PCA church websites that explicitly say that all their teachers are also elders, but i am uncertain about either Presbytery or denomination wide analysis....

i have discussed the issue obliquely with our Pastor in charge of Sunday School and believe that the way the session looks at it is that those of us who are not elders who occasionally teach do so under the explicit control and guidance of the session. I'm expected to write up everything and submit it in advance, stick to the script and explicitly bow out at the prescriptive-descriptive boundary and refer further discussion to the TE's. This seems like a decent compromise for those of us with something to say who are not qualified to be elders.

[Edited on 5-6-2005 by rmwilliamsjr]

Richard,

The PCA has no policy regarding Sunday School teachers. Its up to the Session to decide who will teach.

It sounds like your Seesion has a good plan working.

I think that Sunday school, with good guidelines, is an excellent place to test the gifts of men who may be called to be elders (ruling or teaching). It gives them opportunity to exercise their gifts, and for the congregation to evaluate.

This kind of gets into other sticky subjects, but it deals with the same issues. Bruce alluded to Titus 2:4, in teaching other women, and also spoke of teaching children. In Titus, no mention is made of doctrinal issues, just older women instructing younger women on the duties of their roles as wives and mothers. As John Gill says in his Commentary "Teachers of good things;both by example and by instruction, but in their own houses privately; for they were not suffered to teach publicly, or to speak in the church." I guess what I'm getting at in the end is, is there any such church office as a non-ordained teacher?
"I think that Sunday school, with good guidelines, is an excellent place to test the gifts of men who may be called to be elders (ruling or teaching). It gives them opportunity to exercise their gifts, and for the congregation to evaluate."
I agree entirely that this is a great opportunity to test the gifts of men, but how much control should the session have over this? It sounds like Richards church has very close supervision over the teachers. Mine on the other hand has next to none, I am really quite free to teach whatever I desire. I go strictly out of the Westminster shorter, but should I still be submitting my teachings to the session. Thanks for all of your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back