Is the Confederate flag a good witness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only ever heard of it flying at one church in the south and that an IFBx church. The "pastor" is a known racist. If I were to find that flying outside a church I'd be suspicious of said church. But I have never seen it flying over any church in Texas. Now the Texas flag is a different matter.

*Moderation*

I’m not “as old as Methuselah”, but time wise

Robert,

You need to click on the link in my signature below, and create a signature of your own. You must do this to be in compliance with board rules.

Thank you, for your prompt attention to this matter.

It would serve a purpose: always useful to have a dealbreaker be obvious in my opinion.

Funny and true at the same time.

If such a church exists, you've got to hand it to them for their unapologetic honesty.

Lived in Tennessee, Georgia, and both Carolinas and I've never seen it in a church or by a church. Now, on the state capitol building? Yeah, until recently.

Back to the question of it being a good witness:
I have a real problem with that flying that flag. If you want to show your southern heritage, be my guest - I had plently of relatives fight in the war. But consider flying the Stars and Bars. I think that is a reasonable option with way fewer negative connotations.

I have no idea whether there are pro-Southern churches which display the Confederate flag inside rather than the American flag. My impression is that many of the churches whose members are sympathetic to Southern partisan positions are also churches which would have a problem with any sort of flag in the church based either on Reformed regulative principle grounds or just older Baptist views of wanting a plain-looking meetinghouse.

I can respect the people who want to honor their Confederate ancestors and say things like "Heritage, Not Hate." That's not my thing, but as long as you're not a hater, I don't have a big problem with other people making choices I would not make, but please don't bring it to the church building.

What I do know is the Confederate flag has been and continues to be used in ways that are deliberately offensive.

Within walking distance of my home, there's a predominantly black COGIC congregation, and right across the street is a house whose owner has the Confederate flag, the "Don't Tread on Me" Gadsen rattlesnake flag, and several other things displayed in his windows so everybody coming to the church across the street from him has to see them. He also likes to put up various conservative handmade signs on his property which make me embarrassed to be a Republican who plans to vote for most of the candidates whose campaign signs he also displays in his yard.

The least that can be said is this guy is needlessly antagonizing his neighbors.

We live in America with a First Amendment which protects the rights of both the church and his neighbor. I will defend this man's right to be a bigot, while strongly condemning his bigotry.

We're kidding ourselves if we don't think such issues persist in the year 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back