Is the doctrine of Justification Impractical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandguy

Puritan Board Sophomore
The question of the practicality of the doctrine of justification was raised in another thread about Beth Moore by Andrew. I argued that all scriptural doctrine, including justification, is practical. Specifically, the doctrine of Justification is practical, in my opinion, for the following reason:

It is certainly practical in that it effectively brings about the purposes of God in the elect, and is not merely a theory. It transforms the lives of lowly sinners. Are you telling me that justification, the salvation of the elect, is not practical for us to know. I think that it is very practical to understand the grace of God in Justification in that it keeps us humble, and glorifies God.

Andrew suggested that we start another thread to discuss this further, and here it is. For the sake of argument, I post the following definition of Impractical from Webster's and ask if the doctrine of justification meets that criteria:

One entry found for impractical.

Main Entry: im·prac·ti·cal
Pronunciation: (")im-'prak-ti-k&l
Function: adjective
: not practical: as a : not wise to put into or keep in practice or effect b : incapable of dealing sensibly or prudently with practical matters c : IMPRACTICABLE d : IDEALISTIC
- im·prac·ti·cal·i·ty /-"prak-ti-'ka-l&-tE/ noun
- im·prac·ti·cal·ly /-'prak-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Link

So, I ask you, the doctrine of Justification....practical or impractical?

If the doctor gives me a cancer diagnosis and then offers a cure that is certain, would the question about whether that cure was practical advance the doctor's/my cause?

I'm not sure I understand what implications are involved with siding one way or another on this matter.

It is very practical. It is understanding the doctrine of justification which purges all self-righteous and prideful motive from our hearts. It secures our access to the throne of grace. Intrinsically connected to justification is adoption. Our comfort in afflictions and trials is found in the great love of Christ who loved me and gave himself for me. It is on this basis of our justification in Christ that we can be assured of forgiveness and have a clean conscience. It levels the playing feild in the Church. No man can boast over another. We are all found righteous because of Christ's imputed righteousness, not because of anything we have done. It is on this basis as well that we can compassionately reach out to unbelieving sinners, knowing we are no different from them but are only recipients of grace. These are just a few scattered thoughts on how justification is practical. Basically, without properly understanding justification, you will be a Pharisee in practice. :2cents:

It is very practical. It is understanding the doctrine of justification which purges all self-righteous and prideful motive from our hearts. It secures our access to the throne of grace. Intrinsically connected to justification is adoption. Our comfort in afflictions and trials is found in the great love of Christ who loved me and gave himself for me. It is on this basis of our justification in Christ that we can be assured of forgiveness and have a clean conscience. It levels the playing feild in the Church. No man can boast over another. We are all found righteous because of Christ's imputed righteousness, not because of anything we have done. It is on this basis as well that we can compassionately reach out to unbelieving sinners, knowing we are no different from them but are only recipients of grace. These are just a few scattered thoughts on how justification is practical. Basically, without properly understanding justification, you will be a Pharisee in practice. :2cents:

:ditto:

John Piper, in his book Counted Righteous in Christ, echoes the same thing.

Hmm. I will indeed study this more. I understand that we are justified through the death of Christ, but I guess I need to do more of a study. I'm listening to Gene Cook "covenantal Thrusdays." He's going through these things. I am also going to buy John Owen's book, The death of death in the death of Christ.

Amazon.com: The Death of Death: in the Death of Jesus Christ: Books: John Owen

I hope this helps.

The practicality I was getting at is the fact that we ourselves cannot justify ourselves. Sure you can witness to people, and we are humbled by justification.

Practical eh?

“justification… is the main hinge on which religion turns, so that we devote the greater attention and care to it. For unless you first of all grasp what your relationship to God is, and the nature of his judgment concerning you, you have neither a foundation on which to establish your salvation nor one on which to build piety toward God.”
-Calvin’s Institutes, Book 3, Chapter 11.1

“He who proposes to summarize gospel teaching ought by no means to omit an explanation of this topic… freedom is especially an appendage of justification and is of no little avail in understanding its power…. [for] unless this freedom be comprehended, neither Christ nor gospel truth, nor inner peace of soul, can be rightly known.”
-Calvin’s Institutes, Book 3, Chapter 19.1 (Calvin speaking on Christian freedom)

“the consciences of believers, in seeking assurance of their justification before God, should rise above and advance beyond the law, forgetting all law righteousness. For since, as we have elsewhere shown, the law leaves no one righteous, either it excludes us from all hope of justification or we ought to be freed from it, and in such a way, indeed, that no account is taken of works… If consciences wish to attain any certainty in this matter, they ought to give no place to the law.”
-Calvin’s Institutes, Book 3, Chapter 19.1

“The more a believer may live close to God and be assured of his justification, the more his desires for a pure frame of heart, for the manifestation of the image of God, for humility, wisdom, kindheartedness, and a tender walk will become stronger and lively. He neither knows nor desires any holiness except that which flows out of a reconciled relationship with God – holiness proceeding from love for and the fear of God.
-Wilhelmus à Brakel, The Christian’s Reasonable Service

Practical eh?

“justification… is the main hinge on which religion turns, so that we devote the greater attention and care to it. For unless you first of all grasp what your relationship to God is, and the nature of his judgment concerning you, you have neither a foundation on which to establish your salvation nor one on which to build piety toward God.”
-Calvin’s Institutes, Book 3, Chapter 11.1

“He who proposes to summarize gospel teaching ought by no means to omit an explanation of this topic… freedom is especially an appendage of justification and is of no little avail in understanding its power…. [for] unless this freedom be comprehended, neither Christ nor gospel truth, nor inner peace of soul, can be rightly known.”
-Calvin’s Institutes, Book 3, Chapter 19.1 (Calvin speaking on Christian freedom)

“the consciences of believers, in seeking assurance of their justification before God, should rise above and advance beyond the law, forgetting all law righteousness. For since, as we have elsewhere shown, the law leaves no one righteous, either it excludes us from all hope of justification or we ought to be freed from it, and in such a way, indeed, that no account is taken of works… If consciences wish to attain any certainty in this matter, they ought to give no place to the law.”
-Calvin’s Institutes, Book 3, Chapter 19.1

“The more a believer may live close to God and be assured of his justification, the more his desires for a pure frame of heart, for the manifestation of the image of God, for humility, wisdom, kindheartedness, and a tender walk will become stronger and lively. He neither knows nor desires any holiness except that which flows out of a reconciled relationship with God – holiness proceeding from love for and the fear of God.
-Wilhelmus à Brakel, The Christian’s Reasonable Service

:amen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back