Is the gospel necessary to save?

Status
Not open for further replies.
“it clearly states that this is done through His word either by hearing or reading it.”

God delivers it through Christ. The ears of the people in question, hear Christ speaking.

* I emphasize the irregularity of these events

“it clearly states that this is done through His word either by hearing or reading it.”

God delivers it through Christ. The ears of the people in question, hear Christ speaking.

* I emphasize the irregularity of these events
So, someone in a remote area, never having read a bible, never having someone witness to them, they can be saved? Uhhhhh, that’s mysticism my friend.

Willis,
With all due respect, you’re not following. What I have posited does not rail against biblical truth nor the GC.
Again, in 1 Corinthians 1:21, it says God is well-pleased to save those who believe through the foolishness of preaching. Not Him zapping ppl with faith w/o ever having read or heard one verse. Romans 1:16-17 says the gospel is the power of God to save both believing Jews and Gentiles and it also reveals the righteousness of God. In Ephesians 1:13 it says after hearing the gospel and having believed, they are sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise.

Nowhere in those passages does it say God saves them by directly giving them the gospel. God uses means to save His elect, and this means in the gospel given by His word, whether read or witnessed to.

So, someone in a remote area, never having read a bible, never having someone witness to them, they can be saved? Uhhhhh, that’s mysticism my friend.

You fail to see the distinction between those w capacity and decree and those from these particular tribes, tongues and nations, i.e. those unable by decree.

How do elect infants ‘dying in the womb’ come to Faith? How do they hear and who is the preacher?

You fail to see the distinction between those w capacity and decree and those from these particular tribes, tongues and nations, i.e. those unable by decree.

How do elect infants ‘dying in the womb’ come to Faith? How do they hear and who is the preacher?
The Bible doesn’t address them and I leave them (justly) in His hands.

How do we know any infants are elect? How do we know all infants are elect? None can give a truly defensible answer via the word or God.

Again, in 1 Corinthians 1:21, it says God is well-pleased to save those who believe through the foolishness of preaching.

Christ is the preacher- in these irregular, decreed, instances.

Not Him zapping ppl with faith w/o ever having read or heard one verse.

u mean like the infants described, above?

Romans 1:16-17 says the gospel is the power of God to save both believing Jews and Gentiles and it also reveals the righteousness of God.

this is true. Nothing I have says mitigate against this truth.

In Ephesians 1:13 it says after hearing the gospel and having believed, they are sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise.

Nowhere in those passages does it say God saves them by directly giving them the gospel. God uses means to save His elect, and this means in the gospel given by His word, whether read or witnessed to.

I wouldn’t disagree. Nothing I’ve said mitigates against these truths.

How do we know any infants are elect? How do we know all infants are elect? None can give a truly defensible answer via the word or God.

Well dear Sir, the confession I hold dear, which is a cliff notes commentary on the Bible say that the elect come from every tribe, tongue and nation; which in my estimation and most of my dead, dear antiquarians, agree. U are left w only three options: no child dying in infancy is saved. All infants dying in infancy are saved. Elect infants dying in infancy are saved. 2 of the 3 would require a preacher going to them.

Mind-block

Jesus is THE preacher
***sigh***

Look at Ezekiel 37:1-11. God tells Ezekiel to prophesy to these dead dry bones. As he prophesies, God moves through them and raises them to life. God could have done this all by Himself w/o Ezekiel, but He used Ezekiel. He used Ezekiel’s words(they were God’s but Ezekiel spoke them) to accomplish His will.

That’s how the gospel works. We speak God’s word to His lost sheep, and He moves through them to save them.

I’m giving you scripture showing you God uses the gospel to save His sheep and you’re busy trying to show irregularities.

Well dear Sir, the confession I hold dear, which is a cliff notes commentary on the Bible say that the elect come from every tribe, tongue and nation; which in my estimation and most of my dead, dear antiquarians, agree. U are left w only three options: no child dying in infancy is saved. All infants dying in infancy are saved. Elect infants dying in infancy are saved. 2 of the 3 would require a preacher going to them.
I hold to the 1689 and they hold to the same belief as well. I leave them in God’s hand and He will always do the right.

Mark 1:14–15 (KJV 1900): Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, 15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Matthew 4:17 (KJV 1900): From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mark 1:14–15 (KJV 1900): Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, 15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Matthew 4:17 (KJV 1900): From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
And? Of course Jesus preached while on earth. He came as a Prophet, Priest, and King.

I’m giving you scripture showing you God uses the gospel to save His sheep and you’re busy trying to show irregularities.

No man can be saved outside of the preaching of the gospel. Nothing i’ve said, as mentioned, mitigate against that fact. You’re just not hearing me.

There’s only one gospel. And all men are saved the same way. It matters not that their infants in the womb or lost on desert islands. God so decrees for stones to cry out, he can surely save a man that is in an irregular circumstance, If decreed in that circumstance.

Brother @convicted1 ,

Could I suggest you take some time to reflect on this? @Scott Bushey is correct to demonstrate the problem you have with infants who die in infancy, to which you have not offered any real solution. How was John the Baptist filled with the Holy Spirit in the womb (Luke 1:15) without having heard the Word preached?

I think it would be helpful to meditate on this on the Lord's Day rather than debate it, especially since some of your posts have taken on a flippant tone.

Blessings,

Tim

Nowhere have I argued against the typical way God saves men. Reread the posts.

The issue of irregularities only supplant the question in the opening post by advocating that a preacher MUST go to the men saved, even in irregular scenarios. In the irregular, that preacher would be Christ Himself carrying the external and internal call.

Brother @convicted1 ,

Could I suggest you take some time to reflect on this? @Scott Bushey is correct to demonstrate the problem you have with infants who die in infancy, to which you have not offered any real solution. How was John the Baptist filled with the Holy Spirit in the womb (Luke 1:15) without having heard the Word preached?

I think it would be helpful to meditate on this on the Lord's Day rather than debate it, especially since some of your posts have taken on a flippant tone.

Blessings,

Tim
All I am saying is that we are justified by faith. Yes, faith comes from God as His gracious gift, but it also comes through the word. Nowhere in scripture can we read Jesus preaching to infants in the womb. It’s only conjecture to say He does.

I don’t have a problem with infants dying in the womb(not saying I enjoy their dying, but theologically speaking, I hope you understand what I’m saying) as the Bible isn’t explicitly clear as to their eternal destiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back