Is The Lives of the Popes by Platina worth reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeking_Thy_Kingdom

Puritan Board Sophomore
After reading a scathing paragraph claiming that many popes were adulterers, incestuous, sodomites and whore masters, I followed the footnote and the source is a work by the Vatican librarian Platina called The Lives of the Popes.

I have heard about the ‘bad’ Popes before but never have taken the time to actually look into the matter.

My reading list is growing out of control and I need to be a little selective. I would like to know if this would be a reliable, and admittedly short, book to read and learn about the subject?

I have not read the resource in question. I have J. N. D. Kelly's Oxford Dictionary of Popes that I use for reference.
If you want to read something shorter and quite revealing about the abominable deeds of the popes throughout history, read John Eadie's The Man of Sin. It lives as a small appendix in his commentaries on 1 & 2 Thessalonians. You can read it below for free.

https://archive.org/stream/commentaryongree1877eadi#page/329/mode/1up

I have not read the resource in question. I have J. N. D. Kelly's Oxford Dictionary of Popes that I use for reference.
If you want to read something shorter and quite revealing about the abominable deeds of the popes throughout history, read John Eadie's The Man of Sin. It lives as a small appendix in his commentaries on 1 & 2 Thessalonians. You can read it below for free.

https://archive.org/stream/commentaryongree1877eadi#page/329/mode/1up
Thank you brother, always appreciate your suggestions. Hope you and your wife are doing well and have a blessed weekend!

Thank you brother, always appreciate your suggestions. Hope you and your wife are doing well and have a blessed weekend!
Thanks, brother. Same to your family.
We are bracing for a nasty winter storm. I've heard six plus inches of snow and three inches of ice. I haven't had time to check myself. Grand Rapids is infamous for losing power.

Thanks, brother. Same to your family.
We are bracing for a nasty winter storm. I've heard six plus inches of snow and three inches of ice. I haven't had time to check myself. Grand Rapids is infamous for losing power.
And here I am shivering in 54 degrees and a little rain... get prepared and stay safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back