Is Theology a Science or a Religion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenbaggins

Puritan Board Doctor
James Henley Thornwell says it is both, and both are qualified:

In relation to religion, therefore, Theology is a science only in the objective sense. It denotes the system of doctrine, but not the mode of apprehension. The cognition which produces the subjective habit to which Theology corresponds is not knowledge, but faith; and depends, not upon speculation, but upon the Word and the Spirit of God. It knows, not for the purpose of knowing, but for the purpose of loving (Collected Writings, volume 1, p. 37).
In other words, objectively speaking, theology is a science. Subjectively speaking, it depends on faith, which in turn depends on the Word and Spirit. It is a sign of the times that the former statement is more controversial than the latter. Claiming that theology is a science is quite controversial today. The only way such a claim can be sustained is if God reveals himself, and thus makes the otherwise unknowable knowable. That He has done so in creation and in Scripture makes theology possible as a knowledge, or scientia. This bridges Kant's divide between phenomenal and noumenal, in that God has bridged it.

I'm out of my league here but I will weigh in since I was just reading Thornwell yesterday on this very point. He develops Lane's point more extensively in Collected writings Vol 1 Page 578-579, which is his inaugural discourse as professor of Theology at SC College. Here he call theology the "Queen Science". "It makes all other sciences ministers to God and draws a Divine life from them." All other sciences serve Theology. They are its handmaidens.

It's not a religion, but a relationship...:D
I would agree with Bill. I think we should keep in mind that the definition of words change over time. Religion in the time of Thornwell would've been much closer bound to Christianity than it is today. In the 21st, Christianity is just "one of many". So for that reason I would support the idea of Theology being a science as it exemplifies the robust veracity which should be present in real science.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back