Is there a Reformed version of Salvation Army?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle93

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi! While I do occasionally support the Salvation Army financially and think they do much good for people and the kingdom, I do have some problems with some of their doctrinal stances, such as arminianism and rejecting the ordinance of baptism. Are there any reformed groups whose work is similar to the Salvation Army, such that they are helping the poor, assisting people who are struggling with substance abuse and job training but always with the primary purpose of seeking for people to come to saving faith in Jesus Christ? Please give me some names, of these reformed organizations if you know of any. Thank you!

For His Glory-
Matthew

The Salvation Army is an orthodox version of Methodism (Booth was a Methodist) with the exception of the absence of both baptism and the Lord's Supper . . . entirely.

Hi! While I do occasionally support the Salvation Army financially and think they do much good for people and the kingdom, I do have some problems with some of their doctrinal stances, such as arminianism and rejecting the ordinance of baptism. Are there any reformed groups whose work is similar to the Salvation Army, such that they are helping the poor, assisting people who are struggling with substance abuse and job training but always with the primary purpose of seeking for people to come to saving faith in Jesus Christ? Please give me some names, of these reformed organizations if you know of any. Thank you!

For His Glory-
Matthew

That sounds like every Reformed church I know!

Yes I would pray that helping the poor and abused would describe every reformed church but would be nice to see a reformed national organization doing this. I guess unless reformed would see this as the job of the individual church and not organizations. I personally do not see it as an either/or thing but should be a both/and, though should primarily be responsibility of the local church. Thanks! Matthew

Since, in Reformed thought, one of the distinguishing marks of a church is the right administration of the sacraments, I would say no solidly Reformed group would call themselves a church while neglecting baptism and the Lord's Supper.

Does the SA consider themselves a church or a parachurch ministry. If the latter, there would be no need of distributing the sacraments. I would add, I do not believe in parachurch anything...nothing should be done outside the biblical oversite of a local church or denomination. Thats the antithesis of reformed thought.

From their website:

"Our Mission

The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian
Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission
is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination."

Apparently, they do not consider themselves as a local church...

"Booth abandoned the conventional concept of a church and a pulpit, instead taking his message to the people. His fervor led to disagreement with church leaders in London, who preferred traditional methods. As a result, he withdrew from the church and traveled throughout England, conducting evangelistic meetings. His wife, Catherine, could accurately be called a cofounder of The Salvation Army."

Obviously a schsimatic.....

"General Booth's death in 1912 was a great loss to The Salvation Army. However, he had laid a firm foundation' even his death could not deter the ministry's onward march. His eldest son, Bramwell Booth, succeeded him.

Edward J. Higgins served as the first elected general, beginning in 1929. The first female general was Booth's daughter, the dynamic Evangeline Booth, serving from 1934 to 1939. The Army's fifth general was George Carpenter, succeeded in 1946 by Albert Orsborn. General Wilfred Kitching was elected in 1954, succeeded by Frederick Coutts in 1963. Erik Wickberg followed in 1969; Clarence Wiseman in 1974; Arnold Brown in 1977; Jarl Wahlstrom in 1981; and Eva Burrows, the second female general, in 1986. General Bramwell Tillsley was elected in 1993 and was succeeded by General Paul Rader in 1994, followed by General John Gowans in 1999, General John Larsson in 2002, and General Shaw Clifton in 2006."

Can u say 'aberrant'? Woman leadership, military titles...they essentially created a polity that was anti-biblical. Avoid them at all costs. Anarchy. Arminianism. rejection of God ordained principles.

Scott,

It is an odd mix indeed. Local SA groups may not consider themselves "church" as much as parachurch, however, they train their candidates in Bible and doctrine in their training schools, commission them (= ordination?), and hold regular weekly worship services with hymns and sermons as well as Sunday schools. They are more known for their charitable work, but are characterized as a "Christian denomination" by several sources.

Scott,

It is an odd mix indeed. Local SA groups may not consider themselves "church" as much as parachurch, however, they train their candidates in Bible and doctrine in their training schools, commission them (= ordination?), and hold regular weekly worship services with hymns and sermons as well as Sunday schools. They are more known for their charitable work, but are characterized as a "Christian denomination" by several sources.

Sad state of confusion....

John 10:27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

If a local reformed church opens a thrift shop to help the poor, I will gladly donate and shop there. Given that such is not the case, however, I will continue to shop at and donate to their stores.

If a local reformed church opens a thrift shop to help the poor, I will gladly donate and shop there. Given that such is not the case, however, I will continue to shop at and donate to their stores.

Solemn League and Covenant-Article 2:

That we shall in like manner, without respect of persons, endeavour the extirpation of Popery, Prelacy, (that is, Church Government by Archbishops, Bishops, their Chancellours and Commissaries, Deans, Deans and Chapters, Archdeacons, and all other Ecclesiasticall Officers depending on that Hierarchy) Superstition, Heresie, Schisme, Profanenesse, and whatsoever shall be found to be contrary to sound Doctrine, and the power of Godlinesse; lest we partake in other mens sinnes, and thereby be in danger to receive of their plagues, and that the Lord may be one, and his Name one in the three Kingdomes.

It would behoove all of the reformed to give faithfully to their local orthodox congregations. God has given these leaders eyes to see and ears to hear in how the stewardship of the funds the Lord has graced us with are distributed appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back