Is there a word for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasty

Puritan Board Sophomore
Suppose someone does not think that he is an atheist; he admits that God created the world. He does not see God as someone who is worthy of worship so he does not attend any kind of worship services. Would there be a word to describe this kind of person?

Reprobate.

2. Christian Theology archaic
(especially in Calvinism) a sinner who is not of the elect and is predestined to damnation.

First thing to come to mind was "me," 25 years ago. It is the blind pride that makes one stupid.

I remember very well the attitude: "God can do his thing and I'll do mine. If he has a problem with that, I'll tell him to back off."

Seriously, that was the pride that I had. I remember it too vividly and sometimes even now I when I think about it I catch myself eyeing "the holes of the rocks, ... the caves of the earth, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth."

(Isa. 2:19 KJV)

May God have mercy on this man, as he did on me.

Do you know such a person, Henry? To me, none of the answers thus far offered specifically indicate that the person believes in God but does not find him "worthy of worship." That's a very curious piece of your question to me. I don't think I've ever met someone who believes in all omnipotent creator without thinking that such a God is worthy to be praised. So I'm curious if you have something specific in mind, or if this is just a hypothetical.

Do you know such a person, Henry? To me, none of the answers thus far offered specifically indicate that the person believes in God but does not find him "worthy of worship." That's a very curious piece of your question to me. I don't think I've ever met someone who believes in all omnipotent creator without thinking that such a God is worthy to be praised. So I'm curious if you have something specific in mind, or if this is just a hypothetical.

David, that was the point of my answer. I was exactly like that: I believed God existed, he created, but he left us to decide for ourselves how to live. If his creatures did not see fit to praise him, that was because God gave his creatures free will. He has to take us as we are. (so the thinking goes).

I think it was a common view among 19th century deists. I think of Thoreau's death bed quote when asked if he had made peace with God: "We have never quarreled."

That is blind pride, sad to say. I knew it first hand.

I don't know such a person. It is possible for people to be like that. One could admit that God created the world, but don't want to keep His commandments or worship Him.

Does it sound a little like this?

Fishers Catechism.

Question 98 What is prayer

Q.39. How may those be known who have sinned the sin unto death?

A. By their rejection of the gospel which they once professed to embrace, by their malice and envy against Christ, and the way of salvation through him. By treating the convincing evidences of Christianity, and the peculiar doctrines of it with blasphemy and contempt: and by their rooted hatred of all religion and the professors of it.

(and thanks Ed for this great PDF :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back