Is there any truth to what this man is saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The site is a teacher in Ventura CA - I'd guess it has to do with all sides of the war.

It was interesting the guy didn't even think enough of his own work to sign his name - signed it Johnny Reb.

Humm, spose that is kind of like posters on boards that don't sign their real names?

:lol:

Exscentric

I figured that one would at least take notice of something more significant than the fact that the man used a pseudonym. What about the content of his essay? The man actually quoted Lincoln as saying that the white man was superior to the negro. That's a fairly serious accusation one could take personally if he/she were a patriotic American.

Or was it really only about slavery?

AnonRex

P.S. I am a Canadian who happens to find the Civil War interesting. In fact, I find it to be the most fascinating period of American history. I'm actually from a harbour town in southeastern Ontario where the KKK first set up shop in this country. I wouldn't be surprised if Confederate soldiers were stationed here, launching attacks against you Union folk (don't worry, I'm saying all of this in jest). I'm sure Rochester, N.Y. got hit a few times.

It is an irrefutable fact of history that Lincoln did consider the African inferior to the white man. Read the transcipts of the Lincoln-Douglas debates of 1858 for yourself. During the course of his career he actually stated that perhaps the best solution was to ship them back to Africa several times.

Much of what this man says I believe to be true historically. Yet, I wouldn't judge President Lincoln too harshly. He was a man of his times, just as Calvin was of his. Lincoln may not have been the saintly liberator of the slaves that many portray him to be, but he was a skilled politician who fought to preserve the Union at any costs.

Grace,
Dwayne

Mr. Watts,

[quote:d34250a7e8]Much of what this man says I believe to be true historically.[/quote:d34250a7e8]

[/quote]But he (Lincoln) was a skilled politician who fought to preserve the Union at any costs.[/quote]

If what this man is saying is historically accurate then you can't possibly expect me to construe this latter statement as a compliment for Lincoln.

If by now you have determined that I am sympathetic toward the South, then you are correct. Much can be speculated as to how the world would be if they had won that war, and little can be said with any absolute certainty. One thing I know, however, is that if they did win, and the Confederacy was allowed to remain as a separate country with its own culture, perhaps the United States of today wouldn't be as expansionistic as they are, since the Union would be less than half the size it is now. As well, with a wider variety of nations on this continent, North American history would have been far more intriguing, to say the least.

And yes, I do believe that in spite of slavery, Southerners did exhibit (at that time) godly Christian values, whilst their northern neighbours were experimenting with modernistic, secular thinking and practice.

AnonRex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back