Is there anyone who argues against women headcoverings pre-1900?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
Is there anyone, of respected theologians (non-heretics), that argue or make the case against headcoverings for women in public worship before 1900? I'm looking but have not found any. I have only found that modern theologians make this case.

Hodge believed it referred to propriety specific to culture, i.e. that the principle of showing submission and respect for authority by the woman is still in effect, but how that is done varies in each cultural context.

John Trapp (1601--1669) also seems to think that the customs vary (i.e. he mentions that the French men pray with their head covered, unlike the Corinthians).

Poole (1624--1679) also seems to think the custom should be interpreted according to culture, saying that the woman should behave in a manner consistent with submission in the culture.

Matthew Henry (1662-1714) likewise says the veil was "the common token of subjection to their husbands in that part of the world." and appears to hang this upon a general principle of cultural propriety or decency. He later says

[Paul] sums up all by referring those who were contentious to the usages and customs of the churches, v. 16. Custom is in a great measure the rule of decency. And the common practice of the churches is what would have them govern themselves by... It was the common usage of the churches for women to appear in public assemblies, and join in public worship, veiled; and it was manifestly decent that they should do so. Those must be very contentious indeed who would quarrel with this, or lay it aside.

Here is something that came to my mind the other day; if the Bible is to be taken as infallible and timeless and the directive is in the New Testament then why is anything given as instruction even considered debatable? If we can say that something was a custom or for a specific time then we might as well leave it out of the Bible as it is unnecessary for us to read. Since we must all agree that the Word of God is His word and infallible then it seems that we must obey and practice what is written, otherwise we are picking and choosing what makes us comfortable and disobeying God.

I would rather obey the Word of God literally and completely than to run the risk of disobedience and cause others to stumble as well. :2cents:

Here is something that came to my mind the other day; if the Bible is to be taken as infallible and timeless and the directive is in the New Testament then why is anything given as instruction even considered debatable? If we can say that something was a custom or for a specific time then we might as well leave it out of the Bible as it is unnecessary for us to read. Since we must all agree that the Word of God is His word and infallible then it seems that we must obey and practice what is written, otherwise we are picking and choosing what makes us comfortable and disobeying God.

I would rather obey the Word of God literally and completely than to run the risk of disobedience and cause others to stumble as well. :2cents:

The OP was dealing with the historical question of whether or not anyone prior to 1900 held to the view that 1 Cor. 11 refers to a customable-sign. It did not address the question of whether that position was biblical. However, if we were to follow your argument through to its logical conclusion, then we would have to wash one another's feet and greet one another with a holy kiss. I suspect you do not do these things because, by employing biblically-informed common sense, you know that these things were merely circumstantial applications of wider biblical principles. For the time being, I will pass from the question of whether or not veiling falls into this category.

Also how do you reconcile the above argument with WCF 19.4, which tells us that various OT laws have expired so that we are only obliged to follow them as far as the general equity thereof may apply? On your suppositions, these laws would surely have to literally apply today, as any other position would be seen as undermining the "infallible and timeless" nature of the Bible.

Actually, that is why I only listed the New Testament directives as I know the Old Testament laws were expired. I knew this would open a can-of-worms and did not want to hijack the thread so I will bow out.

One last thing, why would feet washing and greeting each other with a kiss not be practiced? I never knew those areas were considered cultural either. We have had foot washing practiced before as well as greeting each other with a kiss/hug but I think America is too sensitive to this and avoids practice of it. Maybe we can save it for another time/discussion but just giving food-for-thought.

Actually, that is why I only listed the New Testament directives as I know the Old Testament laws were expired. I knew this would open a can-of-worms and did not want to hijack the thread so I will bow out.

One last thing, why would feet washing and greeting each other with a kiss not be practiced? I never knew those areas were considered cultural either. We have had foot washing practiced before as well as greeting each other with a kiss/hug but I think America is too sensitive to this and avoids practice of it. Maybe we can save it for another time/discussion but just giving food-for-thought.

Fair enough; thanks, brother.

Fair enough; thanks, brother.

Thank you too, as I appreciate feedback and input as well and want to allow this thread to answer the OP's question and forgive me for the detour.

Anyone before 1600 gentlemen/ladies?

Also, I have read each of the ones listed above, and each commentator states it to be a custom and yet doesn't actually find that in the text. It seems they commit eisegesis in each case and assume Paul is referring to custom when they don't show it specifically that he is from the text itself. I'm really looking for someone who perhaps makes that argument, but uses the text itself to show that not just "Well, it was the custom of eastern people to do this, and french and turks to do this." I don't really care what other cultures do or did, I really want to find commentators (if they exist) who look at the text and show from the text that this is cultural/custom. I have yet to find any.

Last edited:
Many of the commentators before 1600 wore hats when praying or prophesying themselves. Calvin: 'For we must not be so scrupulous as to look upon it as a criminal thing for a teacher to have a cap on his head, when addressing the people from the pulpit. Paul means nothing more than this -- that it should appear that the man has authority, and that the woman is under subjection, and this is secured when the man uncovers his head in the view of the Church, though he should afterwards put on his cap again from fear of catching cold.' The position was more nuanced than much of what one hears on the subject now.

Here's a few more quotations, regarding men covering their heads but applicable to whether this passage is considered custom or not. I pulled these from the Reformed Presbytery in North America's site.

Gillispie said:
Customable Signs; and so the uncovering of the head, which of old was a sign of preeminence, has, through custom, become a sign of subjection (Dispute Against English Popish Ceremonies, Naphtali Press, p. 247).

Rutherford said:
Uncovering the head, seemeth to be little older then Paul's Epistles to the Corinthians. The learned Salmasius thinketh it but a National sign of honour, no ways universally received: but certainly is not Adoration: Though therefore we receive the supper of the Lord uncovered, no man can conclude from thence Adoration of the Elements, as we shall here for all bodily worship or expression of our affection to means of graces (though these means be but creatures) is not Adoration properly either of God, or of these means, it is Lawful to tremble at the word, and for Josiah to weep before the book of the Law read, and for the Martyrs to kiss the stake as the Instrument by which they glorified God, in dying for the truth: all these things being Ojectam quo, and means by which they conveyed their worship to the true God, and natural and Lawful expressions of their affection to God: For uncovering the head, it is a sort of veneration or reverence, not adoration; and Paul insinuateth so much when he saith, 1 Cor 11:4. “Every man praying and prophesying having his head covered, dishonoreth his head”: But it is not his meaning that he dishonoreth God. The Jews to this day, as of old, used not uncovering the head as a sign of honour: But by the contrary, covering was a sign of honour. If therefore the Jews, being made a visible Church, shall receive the Lords Supper, and Pray and Prophesy with covered heads, men would judge it no dishonoring of their head, or not of disrespect of the ordinances of God: Though Paul having regard to National custom in Corinth, did so esteem it (The Divine Right of Church Government, Still Waters Revival Books, pp. 89, 90).

Geneva Bible Notes said:
It appears, that this was a political law serving only for the circumstance of the time that Paul lived in, by this reason, because in these our days for a man to speak bareheaded in an assembly is a sign of subjection

It also appears that it's at least possible Calvin saw this as cultural. He mentions headcoverings of women in public and then goes on to say

Lastly, because he [God—RPNA] has taught nothing specifically, and because these things are not necessary to salvation, and for the upbuilding of the church ought to be variously accommodated to the customs of each nation and age, it will be fitting (as the advantage of the church will require) to change and abrogate traditional practices and to establish new ones (Institutes Of The Christian Religion, Westminster Press, p. 1208)

Also, I have read each of the ones listed above, and each commentator states it to be a custom and yet doesn't actually find that in the text. It seems they commit eisegesis in each case and assume Paul is referring to custom when they don't show it specifically that he is from the text itself.

Perhaps, but there's a good many highly respected commentators that do that. I say that if it bothers your conscience at all or if there are any doubts, go for it. But there are a good many of the Reformed who saw it as a principle of showing submission and I do not doubt that they would have, for example, disapproved of a woman wearing pants in a culture that requires dresses, pointing to this passage.

I would agree with you in general and wouldn't automatically set aside foot washing and holy kissing (!) despite the fact that I've never known a church that practices this.
I would comment however that there are arguments used by Paul when dealing with the issue of headcoverings that aren't used for the holy kiss and foot washing, although clearly none of these are cultural. It's interesting that the argument from creation he uses is similar to the one used to argue for women not to teach in the church (1 Tim 2:12-14), from the same principal that the woman is to be in subjection to the man.

Perhaps, but there's a good many highly respected commentators that do that. I say that if it bothers your conscience at all or if there are any doubts, go for it. But there are a good many of the Reformed who saw it as a principle of showing submission and I do not doubt that they would have, for example, disapproved of a woman wearing pants in a culture that requires dresses, pointing to this passage.

While many respected men have done this, men err. I'm looking for a good argument from God's Word. That's all. I am not for or against headcoverings. I just want to see a good argument from Scripture via historical theology pre-1900 (pre-1600).

While many respected men have done this, men err. I'm looking for a good argument from God's Word. That's all. I am not for or against headcoverings. I just want to see a good argument from Scripture via historical theology pre-1900 (pre-1600).

I'm biased of course but I don't think you're going to see a good argument from Scripture from any time period against headcoverings for women!
I know there are a number of notable theologians etc through church history who may not have held to the abiding nature of 1 Cor 11, but it always seems to come down to the cultural argument.
From reading the Scriptures you wouldn't know that it was a cultural issue, and I think the arguments that the apostle uses only prove the opposite. I know many disagree however!

I can offer Dr. Coppes paper. It is foremost exegetical (hint: the key verb is a participle which must be related to the tense of the main verb) but includes some of the historical above. In fact, it includes cultural-historical information of the Corinthian condition relevant to the text. Email him.

Anyone before 1600 gentlemen/ladies?

Also, I have read each of the ones listed above, and each commentator states it to be a custom and yet doesn't actually find that in the text. It seems they commit eisegesis in each case and assume Paul is referring to custom when they don't show it specifically that he is from the text itself. I'm really looking for someone who perhaps makes that argument, but uses the text itself to show that not just "Well, it was the custom of eastern people to do this, and french and turks to do this." I don't really care what other cultures do or did, I really want to find commentators (if they exist) who look at the text and show from the text that this is cultural/custom. I have yet to find any.

I would suggest that they came to this conclusion because they read the text in light of other biblical considerations which they believed precluded one from adopting the view that Paul was referring to a universal principle. Whether they were correct to do so is another matter entirely.

I am also confused as to why you have moved the goal-posts in the middle of the thread. You asked for anyone who argued in favour of the custom-able sign position prior to 1900. This request was complied with. Why then have you moved the goal-posts back to before 1600? I don't get it; is an argument made in 1601 any less valid than an argument made in 1599? :scratch:

The bottom line is that those who argue for the custom-able sign position are not arguing for anything against the Reformed confession (quite the opposite), and they should be left in peace by others who profess to hold to the same confession (Romans 12:18).

Daniel, I 'moved it' because I would like to see a broader range of history than just 1600-1900. There are 1600 years before all that in church history those especially closer to the actual apostles/prophets.

Before 1600? Certainly! Right here:
1Co 11:13-15 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? (14) Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? (15) But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
Emphasis added for... well... emphasis. Stated within a 3 verse spread. Nothing other than a painful confirmation bias would read verse 13 and 15 as addressing different subjects. Let the gymnastics begin!

1Co 11:13-15 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? (14) Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? (15) But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
Emphasis added for... well... emphasis. Stated within a 3 verse spread. Nothing other than a painful confirmation bias would read verse 13 and 15 as addressing different subjects. Let the gymnastics begin!

If a) the Greek word translated 'covering' in v.15 was the same as that translated 'covering' in all previous verses, and b) if this view didn't contradict v.5-6 (which would then be 'if a woman be not covered (have no hair) then let her also be shorn (have no hair)), then you might be right.
Or is that gymnastics?

If a) the Greek word translated 'covering' in v.15 was the same as that translated 'covering' in all previous verses, and b) if this view didn't contradict v.5-6 (which would then be 'if a woman be not covered (have no hair) then let her also be shorn (have no hair)), then you might be right.
Or is that gymnastics?

Just because a word is "translated" the same, doesn't mean it has the same meaning. Context is relevant in this matter. Also, there are many things within scripture that have a cultural context.

Or is that gymnastics?
Oh, yes, certainly.

Paul, by the HS, is not going to change subjects w/o a transition. He's talking about something on the head through the entire portion. Her long hair is her covering. If she's going to reject that, then let her be shaved. I see confirmation bias all the time... I just refuse to buy into it. My wife would put a doily on her head the instant I asked her to, so this is not derived from any cultural predisposition for or against. In fact, if she wanted to put a doily on her head, I wouldn't protest. If there's any predisposition, it's derived from the fact that whenever I have listened to eisegetical gymnastics, trouble has arisen. I prefer to let the plain reading of the Word overrule the clamor of men, regardless of their credentials, when there is a difference. It's not safe to do otherwise.

If you disagree, then fine, grow your hair down to your ankles and wear a beanie with a propeller to worship. The Spirit said if you wanna be contentious, we have no such custom. I find contentiousness to be an easy stumbling block for myself, so I want to try to avoid it.

I stumbled across an interesting reference to uncovering/covering in my reading today, quite by accident. The work is Lewis Bayly's The Practice of Piety. The date of its first publishing is unknown, but the third edition was published in 1613. In the section "Rules to be observed in Singing of Psalms" (directed particularly to heads of household in their leading of family worship), he writes:

As you sing uncover your heads (1 Cor. xi. 4), and behave yourselves in comely reverence as in the sight of God, singing to God in God’s own words; but be sure that the matter make more melody in your hearts (Eph. v. 19; Col. iii. 16) than the music in your ear; for the singing with grace in our hearts is that which the Lord is delighted withal, according to that old verse:

Non vox, sed votum; non miisica chordula, sed cor:
Non clamans, sed amana, psallit in aure Dei.

‘Tis not the voice, but vow;
Sound heart, not sounding string;
True zeal, not outward show,
That in God’s ear doth ring.

Most interpretations I have read of 1 Cor. 11 regard it as a reference to public worship only, however, and I am inclined to agree. Perhaps Mr. Bayly was attempting to draw an implication from public worship to family worship. Anyway, it was interesting, so I shared it.

Oh, yes, certainly.

Paul, by the HS, is not going to change subjects w/o a transition. He's talking about something on the head through the entire portion. Her long hair is her covering. If she's going to reject that, then let her be shaved. I see confirmation bias all the time... I just refuse to buy into it. My wife would put a doily on her head the instant I asked her to, so this is not derived from any cultural predisposition for or against. In fact, if she wanted to put a doily on her head, I wouldn't protest. If there's any predisposition, it's derived from the fact that whenever I have listened to eisegetical gymnastics, trouble has arisen. I prefer to let the plain reading of the Word overrule the clamor of men, regardless of their credentials, when there is a difference. It's not safe to do otherwise.

If you disagree, then fine, grow your hair down to your ankles and wear a beanie with a propeller to worship. The Spirit said if you wanna be contentious, we have no such custom. I find contentiousness to be an easy stumbling block for myself, so I want to try to avoid it.

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your response.

A few questions concerning your view:

Why does Paul use a different word in v.15 if he is referring to the same 'covering'?

And do you understand Paul to be saying that long hair is the covering, or just the woman's hair itself? And then do you take it to be cultural anyway?

I have tried to express this position before -- largely that of Matthew Henry, combined in a few particulars with Calvin. It is both pre 1900, and makes more sense of the passage than I have seen elsewhere: 'Praying' and 'Prophesying' refer to specific public acts which are forbidden to women in the assemblies (Calvin). The Spirit was poured out in a special way, in accordance with OT prophesy, on sons and on daughters in those days (ie, the daughters of Philip). These women were not to be exercising those gifts in public assemblies. But wherever the daughters of Philip did exercise such a gift -- the custom for women in a capacity of prophetic utterance in Eastern cultures was that they be veiled. This cultural custom Paul argues to be in keeping with, not against, the created order (so he cites that women are naturally covered); and it is no 'custom' of the church to needlessly shock or offend against decent societal structures and gestures of respect. The whole passage is then an argument that even in the church, where there is neither male or female, Jew or Greek, bond or free, we still respect authority structures and cultural decencies (a theme not at all out of keeping with Paul's teaching about government and family, servants and masters, etc elsewhere): the gospel and its privileges do not give us license to be as liberated as we want to from social norms, or to be 'rebels without a cause'. It is not then (according to Matthew Henry) an argument to create our own special tokens in the church and become needlessly estranged from our society.

I wouldn't wish to convince anyone against their own conscience: this is what I understand one older view to be; and it's good food for thought, regardless, I think.

(Thinking a bit more on this -- I should clarify if I related this in such a way that it gives an impression that we observe proper forms of structure and order in the church simply because they are in society. The argument seems to be that we practice the due cultural norms relating to submission and authority, because the church has a Head. The church is where the created order finds its truest expression.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back