Is this a sort of pantheist thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earl40

Puritan Board Professor
"We can think of God as the universal set that contains all others but goes beyond even the sum of all other sets. In this way, there is correspondence between individual sets and the universal set (set A is part of set U) but the universal set transcends all the individual sets. Metaphysically, God is a higher order of being, but as he is a being or Being he encompasses the lower orders while remaining distinct from them."

Yeah, I have a problem with this sort of thinking. I wouldn't necessarily call it pantheistic, but it does violate the Creator-creature distinction.

Yeah, I have a problem with this sort of thinking. I wouldn't necessarily call it pantheistic, but it does violate the Creator-creature distinction.

Yes I can see such now. I am currently running into the idea that, God proper, is not wholly other and is why I asked about the quote.

"We can think of God as the universal set that contains all others but goes beyond even the sum of all other sets. In this way, there is correspondence between individual sets and the universal set (set A is part of set U) but the universal set transcends all the individual sets. Metaphysically, God is a higher order of being, but as he is a being or Being he encompasses the lower orders while remaining distinct from them."
God is separate and distinct from his creation, as he interacts with it, but is not really part of it as that seems to indicate Him being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back