Is this real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starchild1980200

Puritan Board Freshman
eb3b140f3c27775bfbee3f45e9912fa9.jpg

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Many people do wake up feeling unable to move or breathe, which is naturally distressing. I have no doubt that the enemy of our souls can make use of such a phenomenon to encourage us towards superstition, fear, and other ungodly attitudes. And of course prayer is an appropriate response to every problem, including this one.

But the definition of demon asserted here is mythological, not biblical. There is no biblical passage you could point to that would say sleep paralysis is related to demonic activity. And many unbelievers have experienced it and survived it, without calling upon Christ.

I think a better explanation is that we experience strange things in the boundaries between sleep and waking. Many times we are somewhat paralyzed during sleep, which is a plus during very active dreams. As my dad once found out, getting mistaken for the robber in my mom's dream was hardly pleasant. But if the restraint on movement remains as you return to consciousness, you're going to feel rather rotten until it passes.

There are different kinds of SP,

I have had a really really bad experience with this and I'm not talking about it on here.

Mainly because if someone hasn't experienced it, then it can't be proved, its too subjective.
And then the conversation moves to all kinds of nonsense, and our carnal nature loves speculation.
So I'm leaving it alone, all I can say about it is, It will probably never happen to anyone on here.
If you are ministering to someone who has been through such an experience, there are some books.

The best is probably Alien Intrusion, put out by Creation Ministries.
(I didn't see any aliens but I think the experience is the same)

https://austore.creation.com/alien-intrusion-epub

As an aside, my pragmatic non practicing Irish Catholic father told me before he died,
(quite by surprise) that he also had experienced this at our old house in Sydney.
and he was definitely a man of few words, also having been a Sergeant in the army,
and someone who was not given to superstition...

I have experienced sleep paralysis as long as I can remember, at this point in my life I can usually pinpoint the things that cause it for me at least and since it has been a part of my life for so long I no longer find it terribly distressing.

This happened a few times in my 20's. I am now in my 50's.

While fully asleep someone/something would be on top of me pinning so I could not move or breathe or speak. I would recognize I was asleep and would be struggling against it. It would take all of my strength to force myself to wake up while I was also attempting to call on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ for help.

Back then I learned how and what to pray for before going to bed. So I believe it to be caused by a spiritual problem. I have not experienced anything as severe as that since. Instead, I can tell if I missed something in nightly prayer if as I am halfway asleep the stuff which is happening inside of my head is completely out of character. If so I know at some point I will have bad dreams that night. But while half asleep I will wake back up and know I have to pray more in the name of Jesus Christ. I think of this kind of prayer as being cleansed from the spiritual dirt that I picked up during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back