Isaiah 17:1-3 in our lifetimes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leslie

Puritan Board Junior
Damascus is one of the oldest continually-inhabited cities in the world. Now ISIS is advancing toward Syria. Is anyone aware of a time when Damascus ceased to be a city and became a heap of ruins? Obviously, time will tell. Maybe ISIS will be defeated and this will happen 5000 years from now. It appears to me that this has not yet happened. It also appears quite possible that it will occur within, say, the next year or two. Am I missing something?

Damascus is one of the oldest continually-inhabited cities in the world. Now ISIS is advancing toward Syria. Is anyone aware of a time when Damascus ceased to be a city and became a heap of ruins? Obviously, time will tell. Maybe ISIS will be defeated and this will happen 5000 years from now. It appears to me that this has not yet happened. It also appears quite possible that it will occur within, say, the next year or two. Am I missing something?

Dispensational premillennialists have been predicting the end for years, since 1948 and before.

In this respect they are a disgrace to Christ and the Gospel.

I hope it hasn't put a lot of people off Christianity.

I know too, that, in other ways, that, we, the Reformed can sometimes be a disgrace to Christ and the Gospel.

From reading the Text it would appear that these judgements on Damascus,Ephraim & The cities of Aroer all happen concurrently, so the quote in the article that Chris posted makes the most sense

Dr. Charlie Dyer, a Bible professor at Moody Bible Institute, said Damascus was destroyed in the 7th and 8th centuries: “Isaiah 17 predicted the destruction of the city, along with the destruction of the northern kingdom of Israel…Damascus was captured by Assyrians in 732 BC and the northern kingdom of Israel fell when the capital city of Samarai was captured by the Assyrians in 722 BC.”

And 100 years later, he says, the prophet Jeremiah also predicted the fall of Damascus, which had been rebuilt.

I also find this quite Ironic as Moody was a hotbed of Dispensationalism, were the famous R.A. Torrey taught.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back