Isaiah commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGF

Puritan Board Sophomore
I'm looking for a commentary or study book for Isaiah. This is for a small group of men, of various maturity, who meet weekly. Something lay level would be appropriate. Any suggestions?

A less technical version of Motyer's more comprehensive commentary might be worth a look. It is not just an extract from his older work:

"Secondly, the majority of the explanatory and expository work in this commentary is certainly new in expression and quite considerably new in content. This is as it should be when we are dealing with the inexhaustible treasure of God’s Word. I have only very occasionally consciously quoted from The Prophecy of Isaiah."​

See:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0877842442

On the lay level, the Tyndale volume by Motyer is good. I also think the Bible Speaks Today volume by Webb is excellent. The NIVAC volume by Oswalt is well worth considering, as is the EP Study commentary by John Mackay (which is quite lengthy, but understandable by a layman). I would also highly recommend Grogan's volume in the revised Expositor's Bible commentary.

I was eyeballing Moyter and Webb. It's good to have my instincts confirmed. Thanks!

Jacob, I would agree if he did not mention "laymen." The full commentary by Motyer is NOT easy reading. The Tyndale volume is far more accessible to laymen.

Jacob, I would agree if he did not mention "laymen." The full commentary by Motyer is NOT easy reading. The Tyndale volume is far more accessible to laymen.

Yes. A technical work would not be appropriate for this group. It might be a bit much for some.

I used one by Ray Ortlund several years ago that was quite helpful to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back