Islay Burns’ Apt Description of Our Own Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. M. Sheffield

Puritan Board Graduate
In his biography of W. H. Burns, Islay Burns describes the sad spiritual and religious climate of late eighteenth century Scotland. I was struck with how aptly it describes our own day and age.

“Error spoke aloud with clear and unfaltering tongue on the high places of the land, while truth, scorned and down-trodden, uttered its voice with stammering and muffled accents, and offered but a feeble resistance to the strong, triumphant tide of latitudinarian indifference that was rolling on.”

—Islay Burns, The Pastor of Kilsyth, Banner of Truth, p. 11.

In his biography of W. H. Burns, Islay Burns describes the sad spiritual and religious climate of late eighteenth century Scotland. I was struck with how aptly it describes our own day and age.

“Error spoke aloud with clear and unfaltering tongue on the high places of the land, while truth, scorned and down-trodden, uttered its voice with stammering and muffled accents, and offered but a feeble resistance to the strong, triumphant tide of latitudinarian indifference that was rolling on.”

As I said before, many of today's superstar pulpiteers would do well to read this biography. Burn's labored faithfully day in, day out under the radar. He was a model of humility.

Apropos to the above, an article in the Washington Times today;
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/dec/30/faith-in-us-withers-as-apathy-trumps-religion/

When I read this today, I was stunned with how eloquently it expressed the sentiment I've felt in recent days when thinking on the state of the church in these days. It is heartbreaking.

But if ye will not hear it, my soul shall weep in secret places for your pride; and mine eye shall weep sore, and run down with tears, because the Lord's flock is carried away captive.—Jeremiah 13:17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back