Israel & The Land Promises

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANT

Puritan Board Junior
This morning in my church my associate pastor made this statement ....

"Israel has only received 10% of the land that has been promised to it by God."

I need help finding the scriptures about the promises of the land already being fulfilled with Israel receiving the land God had promised to them.

Thank you!
Anthony

Here goes one.

Jos 21:43 -
And the LORD gave unto Israel all the land which he sware to give unto their fathers; and they possessed it, and dwelt therein.

Here's a few more...

Jos 21:45 -
There failed not ought of any good thing which the LORD had spoken unto the house of Israel; all came to pass.

Jos 23:14 -
And, behold, this day I am going the way of all the earth: and ye know in all your hearts and in all your souls, that not one thing hath failed of all the good things which the LORD your God spake concerning you; all are come to pass unto you, and not one thing hath failed thereof.

1Ki 8:56 -
Blessed be the LORD, that hath given rest unto his people Israel, according to all that he promised: there hath not failed one word of all his good promise, which he promised by the hand of Moses his servant.

Those are great verses. I knew about them, but could not find them for the life of me. I wrote the associate pastor a letter and attached the article "An Open Letter to Evangelicals and Other Interested Parties: The People of God, the Land of Israel, and the Impartiality of the Gospel" for him and the teaching pastor.

Here is a copy of the letter ....
You made a statement to the congregation this morning that Israel has only received 10% of the land that God has promised to them. I disagree with your statement.

Here is one passage of scripture that I would like you to consider ....

1 Kings 8:56
Blessed be the Lord, who has given rest to His people Israel, according to all that He promised; not one word has failed of all His good promise, which He promised through Moses His servant.

Keep in mind the context of the passage ....
- This is after Israel had already been given, and settled in the land.
- Solomon had assumed the king-ship. (He was the wisest "Jewish" king ever recorded.)
- The Temple was built and the Ark brought in.
- This was said in Solomon's blessing of all the assembly of Israelafter his dedication prayer.
- "given rest" ... refers to them already being settled in the land God promised.

POINT BEING
If anyone would have noticed God's promise of the land to Israel not being fulfilled, it would've been King Solomon and he would have not said what he did in 1 Kings 8:56.

I appreciate you taking the time to read and consider my letter and article. I look forward to hearing your response.

Also, If I may ask ...
Where did you get your information that Israel has only received 10% of the land promised to them by God?

If I could stand to be corrected, that will be fine. This is just a burden within me, for I feel the land promises have already been fulfilled. And as we are in Christ, and Christ being Abraham's seed, we are made partakers of all the promises in Him.

Is this ok? I will wait for his reply before I write him another letter.

It sounds good to me ...not contentious or anything.

To be honest with you, I could swear that there is another -more devastating- verse that deals with the fulfilment of the land promise but for the life of me I couldn't find it.
It was verses like this that started me to questioning the Christian zionism that is embedded in dispensational teaching.

Thanks for the replies ... I have studied this before, but it was about 4 years ago and needless to say ... my mind is always cluttered with half a million different things and ideas at once. Just never the right ones when I need it. With 4 children living in the house, I'm always on the move.

I have read O. Palmer Robertson's book before and learned so much from it. He is an author that I really enjoy reading because I always learn new insights.

I think my difficulty with locating verses is ... I never use the same Bible for more than a year or so. I'm always changing them and reading different translations. I think I'm going to pick one and stick with it for the long haul.

The church that I go to is reformed in their soteriology and they do have reformed leanings in other areas, but it is dispensational premillennial in it's eschatology. My wife and I have been associated with this church on and off for about 13 years. We are good friends with both of the pastors and almost all the elders, and we love all the people there. We have left and come back a few times. I'm not sure why we stick around, although, I do have high hopes in helping to reform them in ecclesiology and eschatology. I pray that God would use me in that way.

The only thing that is promising is that ... about 5 or 6 years ago ... The teaching pastor would warn me about "Calvinism" and alot of the reformed authors that I would read. But as time went by .... God has changed his views and he now embraces the 5 points and alot of the reformed authors that he warned me about.

Now ... for some more bad news ... on December 12th, the evening service ... Our guest speaker will be .... Zola Levitt. (Sometimes I feel like screaming!) He will be speaking on "Israels right to the land" ... Man, do I have some work ahead of me ... I'm glad God is sovereign!!!

Hey Adam ... can you post the link to Zola's forum. I would like to go there and research a little. After all, I still have a week before he gets to my church.

I checked out your homepage and saw your recomendations. I got down to John MacAthur and had to tell you that the church that I attend is fashioned after MacArthurs church. My pastor is good friends with John Macarthur, he has even come to our church before. The pastors best friend is Phil Johnson (He has the best Spurgeon website ever.) and he comes to our church a couple times a year.

I figured this would be the best way to describe my churches beliefs. Just look at MacArthurs teachings and you pretty much have my church.

[Edited on 12-6-2004 by ANT]

MacArthur's work on "Lordship Salvation" is second to none. What help lead me away from dispensationalism though is their refusal to champion MacArthur. If you had a teacher of his calibur in your camp you would think he would be paraded around as such.

From my experiences so many Dispensationalists reject "Lordship Salvation" that MacArthur gets little play amongst them. It's time John realized the errors of dispie thought. I pray that he does.

MacArthur is a great teacher...I listen to him every night as I drive to work. Then every morning, when I drive home, I listen to RC Sproul. Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back