Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the larger context and backstory?

You and your wife were disagreed for some time on this issue?

Did you have children and did you study this out so that you would be united as father/mother when you had kids?

While I disagree in pedobaptism, I praise God you are both now on the same page and can live in greater unity.

I think it is better to have two pedobaptists in a household than marital strife due to baptismal disagreements.

And I am unsure of this, but I might make a case that a baptist wife ought to act the part of a good Presbyterian if demanded by the husband for the sake of a peaceful home and not always quarrel with him on the topic. Save the spats for important issues like how to hang the toilet paper (does it roll over or under?).
Over.

I made the same move brother (1.5 years ago from a Church I had been at since I was 5, baptized twice in, and was married in). Leave on good terms... have the hard face-to-face conversations (especially with elders) and when you look back months from now, you will not have regret but peace that you tried to leave rightly.

Further be expecting what I call the “baptist relapse” regarding embracing Paedo. You and your wife will likely need to remind yourselves of what convinced you, during your church transitional period, of Paedo.

Keep your head high and protect your wife during the transition. Thats the most brief and best I got:detective:

P.S. And again have the hard conversations and strive hard to leave on as good of terms as possible.

Why did they baptize you twice?

Why did they baptize you twice?
They missed a spot.:D

Serious answer: Because I got it “out of order” regarding a valid profession per the Baptist view on the administration of baptism.

Last edited:
An update:

We’ve split our time between Westminster OPC and the Acts29 church in a way to ease ourselves into Westminster. We’ve also kept up with weekly meetings with our pastor-to-be there. This has been good for easing the transition. My wife highlighted to me the difficulty of “leaving Evangelicalism” and how that’s going to have a very real change in our way thinking and interacting with the world, therefore changing our lives.

I was asked to draft a letter to rescind our membership at the Acts29 church. I’ll be giving it to the pastor in a couple hours. We then will have a follow up conversation next Saturday after he’s had a chance to discuss it with the elders. By the end of this month or sooner, I believe we’ll be members of the OPC.
It sounds like the move is being made decently and in order which is to be applauded. I'm puzzled about "leaving evangelicalism." Do you mean a style of worship? Differences in outreach? I've been in the OPC for 20 years and would be glad to be an encouragement to y'all in any way possible.

but there is so LITTLE OF IT in Presbyterianism! I can't even jump in....some of us real dirty sinners need a credobaptist amount of water to cleanse us.
This reminds me of a friendly banter between Spurgeon and one of his beloved Paedobaptist friends who taught at Spurgeons college. This Paedobaptist 'complained' that Spurgeons Baptist stdents were trying to <quote> "put me down". With a twinkle in his eye, Spurgeon said to him "the problem with you is that you are a sinner and you won't go down" :lol:

It sounds like the move is being made decently and in order which is to be applauded. I'm puzzled about "leaving evangelicalism." Do you mean a style of worship? Differences in outreach? I've been in the OPC for 20 years and would be glad to be an encouragement to y'all in any way possible.
Thank you so much for making yourself available and for the kind words. As to the evangelicalism thing; there is a major cultural, framework, mindset, interaction with other Christians, outlook, and worship that differs heavily from broader evangelicalism. For sure we understood that that the OPC is evangelical in the sense of desiring to proclaim Christ to a rebellious world, but I see a massive difference between confessional Christianity and otherwise. This is all for the better.

I spoke with a couple of elders and pastors today instead of waiting for next Saturday. It looks like this was our last Lord’s Day with this church. It went well. Thank you to all who have prayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back