It is the promising God that threatens

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (Stedfast Adherence to the Profession of our Faith), Works 3:54-55:

God reveals himself sometimes to us as a threatening God. Threatenings and promises seem to be very cross to one another. It is the promising God that does threaten, and the Lord knows very well how to make his promises and his threatenings agree together, if we were wise to make them agree together in our faith. If his children forsake my law, etc., I will visit their transgressions with the rod, and their iniquities with stripes. Nevertheless, my loving-kindness will I not utterly take from him, etc., Ps. 89:30-34. It were well for us, if we were as able to believe the standing of promises, and the love in his heart, notwithstanding the threatenings and the strokes of his hand.

A true fear of The Lord is real, and is indeed needed this side of eternity. No doubt Our Lord threatens, and promises, to destroy the flesh and no doubt we are grateful after He does such.

Once again I thoroughly look forward to your council via past Pastors every week. :)

Just to let you know Rev. Winzer, I read and post your nuggets. Thanks for all the plowing and sowing you do. It bares precious fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back