It's That Time of Year Again... Santa is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuritanCovenanter

The Joyful Curmudgeon
Staff member
Just for you alls entertainment and encouragement. This is something I usually post around this time of year. It has been a few years so here it is again......

Santagrave-kidcries.jpg Santagrave-kidcries.jpg
I love this pic....

And to put it into some context I will also share an old story of mine again. I posted it a few years ago on the board. I also think it is humorous and goes along with the picture.

Before I was married I purposed in my heart to never lie to kids about St. Nicholaus. My reasoning was if I told them a lie about Santa who is to say that I am not lying about Jesus. So when I started having children I told them the truth. St. Nick was dead but that he lived in heaven with Jesus. I told them about the fables and myths and said it was wrong to make Santa Claus have characteristics that only God has.

Well, one Christmas we were in a department store and the cashier asked my two boys (probably around 6years old) if they were good and if Santa was going to come to their house. To which my oldest looked at her and said, "No, Santa is dead." You should have seen the look of horror on that ladies face. It was great. I then explained to her that we believe that the real St. Nick is alive in heaven with Jesus because Jesus died for the Bishop's sin, and that we wanted our son's to know that their parents always told them the truth. They could trust us when we said Jesus was real.

It is a great witness.

Which makes it time for me to chime in again and say that when my daughter was about four, she said exactly the same thing to a grocery checkout clerk who asked what she hoped Santa would bring her. We too had taught our kids about the real Saint Nicholas. I'm always amazed at how our two stories line up so closely.

My girl was overheard by other kids. We had to start teaching our kids that other families like to pretend Santa is still alive and it isn't nice to spoil their game of pretend.

We have trained our kids to crush the lies of Santa and seasonal will-worship for all in their path. It only serves as further judgment on the parents that the mouths of babes are more willing to be honest than ones own parents and even some ministers. Semi-Joking:cool:.

We teach ours to be respectful of the views of others, but we do not teach that it is merely pretend. We teach our kids that it is indeed an intentional lie, idolatry, and a dishonor to God, which many parents give in to for the superstitious idol of tradition and nostalgia. One of the meanest things one could to do is to knowingly let others believe a lie.

Our family has been slowly abandoning this day both religiously and from a secular standpoint with each passing year. Slowly reforming the fam as I also am seeking to be patient with old habits dying hard. Thus far we still do gifts, watch the grinch, and eat with family members. We finally have abandoned the sacred pagan fertility Tree!! The name of this man-made day itself is an affront to our Lord and should be enough for abandonment.:stirpot:

Last edited:
Just for you alls entertainment
Note: it is Monday here in New Zealand but the Sabbath day in many other nations. Please be careful not to engage in unhealthy entertainment on the Lord's day. I get your point but for those nations where the day is Sunday ones thoughts should be on higher things. See WLC Q&A 115-121.

Note: it is Monday here in New Zealand but the Sabbath day in many other nations. Please be careful not to engage in unhealthy entertainment on the Lord's day. I get your point but for those nations where the day is Sunday ones thoughts should be on higher things. See WLC Q&A 115-121.

Are you getting Puritanical on us? ;)

When I think of unhealthy entertainment, be it on the Lord's Day or any other day for that matter, identifying the idols our culture celebrates and discussing it isn't counted in that category...nor is humor forbidden on the Sabbath. Just because the OP contained the words "humorous" and "entertainment" in it doesn't mean he was making light of sin or in some strange way profaning the Lord's Day.

When I think of unhealthy entertainment, be it on the Lord's Day or any other day for that matter, identifying the idols our culture celebrates and discussing it isn't counted in that category...nor is humor forbidden on the Sabbath. Just because the OP contained the words "humorous" and "entertainment" in it doesn't mean he was making light of sin or in some strange way profaning the Lord's Day.
Yes I am getting Puritanical. You spelt the word humour incorrectly ;)

The Puritan Board shuts some threads on the Sabbath day in order to help people focus on Biblical worship on that day. I am not opposed to some humour :) on the Lord's day; simply stating to keep things in perspective. As I said earlier the WLC is helpful on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back