J. Gresham Machen and Michael S. Horton

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Thanks to Todd Pedlar's blog (www.inprincipiodeus.solideogloria.com), I found out that Machen's magnificent book, Christianity and Liberalism (1923) has, once again, been reissued by Eerdmans. However, this time, the book has been reset in a modern typeface, has a new forward by Carl Trueman, has a new cover with a photo of Machen, is in paperback, and (apparently) has more photos inside. We're all indebted to Eerdmans for keeping it in print.

Also, I understand (not through Todd) that Horton will have a new, one-volume systematic theology out in April, 2010. It's supposed to be a 900-pager. Could be good stuff.

Books, books, books...

Also, I understand (not through Todd) that Horton will have a new, one-volume systematic theology out in April, 2010. It's supposed to be a 900-pager. Could be good stuff.

Doubt it. Though I would like to see if he can expand on his two kingdom theology. That would be interesting to see.

I really think they should just let it go into the public domain. There are enough copies out there if you want an hard copy. I agree with Machen, but I don't think it is the one of the best books out there.

I really think they should just let it go into the public domain. There are enough copies out there if you want an hard copy. I agree with Machen, but I don't think it is the one of the best books out there.

Actually, it can't be in the public domain unless the law is changed. Christianity and Liberalism was published in 1923, and current copyright law states that all books published before 1923 are permanently out of copyright. So, his book just missed it...

Actually, it can't be in the public domain unless the law is changed. Christianity and Liberalism was published in 1923, and current copyright law states that all books published before 1923 are permanently out of copyright. So, his book just missed it...

Actually it can go out of copyright, after a certain number of years. And a change in typeset does not change the expiration date.

Actually it can go out of copyright, after a certain number of years. And a change in typeset does not change the expiration date.

I think, for books published after 1923, the law says copyright is: lifetime of the author plus 50 years. (Hmmm. Machen died in 1937. 50 years after that is 1987. So, why is Machen's book still in copyright.)

I think, for books published after 1923, the law says copyright is: lifetime of the author plus 50 years. (Hmmm. Machen died in 1937. 50 years after that is 1987. So, why is Machen's book still in copyright.)

It probably is not in copyright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back