J.H. Heidegger on removing idolatrous ceremonies from worship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Johnson

Puritan Board Junior
I was reading through J.H. Heidegger's Medulla Theologiae, and I found his criteria for when ceremonies are acceptable in worship when they have been associated with idolatry interesting, since they line up well with the Puritans and Presbyterians. At times I have seen folks of an Anglican persuasion imply that Anglicanism is in the Reformed mainstream on this and that the Puritans were the innovators, and even taking passages from Heidegger, Turretin, and other continental divines (often out of context) to support their perspective.
In 14.37 of Medulla theologiae, and 14.1.57 of Corpus theologiae, Heidegger states that it is lawful to use things associated with idolatry in this case:
"In the worship service itself, it is by no means unlawful to use things, rites, and actions borrowed from the worshippers of idols and polluted with idolatry if, from the law of nature, they are either necessarily presupposed for worship, or if the causes and conditions of the same, without which worship would be impossible, demand them; which conditions are time and place of worship, a baptistry, cups, dishes, tables, the opening of the mouth, extending of the hand, going to the table."
Regarding when it is not lawful, he says:
"Let us not use things and rites in divine worship which are not prescribed, or not necessary by the law of nature, or even which do not have a particular use in worship, which were monuments of past idolatry, and had an enormous abuse, because God commanded to abolish monuments of this sort, Ex. 39:13; Num. 25:3, 33:52-53; Deut. 7:5; Is. 30:22; 1 Cor. 10:20; Rev. 2:14, 20..."
"Let things and utensils, adiaphora and civil in themselves, yet used with some accessory, idolatrous usage and form which is not yet wiped out, chiefly, while the idolaters still live, not be carried around and employed."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back