J. I. Packer (1926-2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
J. I Packer has passed away at 93 years of age. Here is a tribute written by Justin Taylor at The Gospel Coalition:

He is now with the Lord whom he faithfully served for many decades. Actually a few moments ago I was reading a tribute he wrote about the ministry of Francis Schaeffer (in Schaffer's Trilogy) and was thinking he must be over 90.

Very thankful for his ministry. I never understood why he signed ECT, but he still had a lot of great impact for the kingdom.

I've taken great pleasure in his many books over the years. Such a godly man and such a fine writer. His introduction to John Owen's The Death of Death in the Death of Christ has taken on a life of its own over the years.

I could point to so many of his writings, but I'll mention just two. His 1974 essay, "What Did the Cross Achieve?," republished in Volume 1 of Shorter Writings of J. I. Packer (1999) is worth its weight in gold. And his 1990 book on the Puritans, A Quest for Godliness: The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life is one of the best I've ever read on that subject. Completely engaging.

He died just five days before his 94th birthday. Please keep Kit, his wife of 66 years, in your prayers.

According to one of the obituaries I read, Packer has left us one last book. It's called The Heritage of Anglican Theology. It will be published by Crossway in May, 2021. His wife read the final draft of the manuscript to him, and Packer verbally edited it, per the obit.

So, one final book to look forward to.

First Sproul, then Ravi, now J.I. Packer. All those whose works I have read and listened to, who have done so much to guide me and mold me as a Christian, have now departed to their heavenly reward. Sad, yet rejoicing.

First Sproul, then Ravi, now J.I. Packer. All those whose works I have read and listened to, who have done so much to guide me and mold me as a Christian, have now departed to their heavenly reward. Sad, yet rejoicing.

Maybe you need to stop reading before someone else goes! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back