James 1:15 "Death" as a current experience of believers? Desire conceived, gives birth to sin; when full-grown, gives birth to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Burden Bearers

Puritan Board Freshman
I know there was both physical and spiritual "death" at the fall. In reformed circles, I am told generally when death is used, it only means Physical, or Eternal judgment.

But for believers, even with their position secured in Christ for both present and future sins, doesn't sin still have "wages" of death that are demonstrated by guilt or a sense of loss of fellowship causing daily repentance and confession?

It would appear that verses like Rom 6:20-23, Gal. 6:8 "For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life", or Heb. 9:14 "cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!"

These verses would lead me to believe even with a secure outcome through Justification, the old man and thorn of Rom 7:24 making him cry "Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?", still shows "death" consequences having an active role and wounding our conscience in the form of dead works, guilt and, corruption to which simple repentance and confession allows us to enjoy the cleansing of our conscience "He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" 1 John 1:9.

Or does James mean something else? Am I mixing up terms? As the concept of Temptation kicks this off, it's not a "salvation" text correct?

From my reading, James 1:15 is the alternative to James 1:12. Steadfastness leads to life. However, if you allow a desire to turn into sin, unchecked that sin will lead to destruction.

Sin will not only be striving, acting, rebelling, troubling, disquieting, but if let alone, if not continually mortified, it will bring forth great, cursed, scandalous, soul-destroying sins. -Owen, Mortification of Sin

As to sin causing loss of fellowship, you are right. Again Owen, ch. 4:
Every unmortified sin will certainly do two things:— [1.] It will weaken the soul, and deprive it of its vigour. [2.] It will darken the soul, and deprive it of its comfort and peace.

Love Owen, to be sure. But from the view of "Depravity of Man" etc, and considering the Rom 6:23 passage, even though "Justified", doesn't the wages of sin still issue with the consequence of death for actual SINS vs just SIN? As I desire to interpret the word "Death" in the James text, "desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death." 1:15, and especially in the light of the other verses mentioned in the post, i.e. Gal 6 "corruption", Heb. "dead works", are you suggesting "death" in James is the equivalent to Owens ch.4 Weaken or Darken the soul? and if so, do those other texts not apply to the James passage and use of death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back