James Bannerman on the magistrate and the exclusive claims of Christianity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... It is not enough to allege in reply, that Christianity may claim, and rightfully claim, the same measure of protection as every other form of faith or unbelief; and that, in the toleration granted equally to truth and to falsehood by the civil magistrate, — who, upon the Voluntary theory, is equally indifferent to both, — the Gospel is secure. It may be fairly questioned whether this measure of protection or toleration would cover and include all that Christianity, as the one truth of God, has a right to demand, even were it fully and equally carried out.

At least this much is certain, that our Lord never claimed toleration for His kingdom and truth upon the footing that it had an equal right, and no more than equal, with falsehood, to be owned and protected by Caesar. Nay, our Lord never claimed toleration for His Gospel upon any other ground than that it was the truth, and not falsehood, and had a right, which falsehood had not, to be not only tolerated, but also owned and recognised and submitted to by Caesar. ...

For more, see:

Two books I wish to read cover to cover continually: Bannerman's Church of Christ, and Gillespie's Disputes

Is The Church of Christ as good as its reputation? I have been continually on the lookout for a set at a decent price, but they seem to run $30-40 per volume used.

Is The Church of Christ as good as its reputation? I have been continually on the lookout for a set at a decent price, but they seem to run $30-40 per volume used.
It is his magnum opus. I would have a hard time recommending another work that discusses the polity of the original Westminster Standards. It's a one stop shop for a variety of subjects, and Bannerman is also very practical in his application, which makes for enjoyable reading beyond studies.

I correct my earlier statement:

Bannerman's Church of Christ
Gillespie's Disputes
Dickson's Truth's Victory

A 3 fold cord is not quickly broken.

It is not enough to allege in reply, that Christianity may claim, and rightfully claim, the same measure of protection as every other form of faith or unbelief; and that, in the toleration granted equally to truth and to falsehood by the civil magistrate, — who, upon the Voluntary theory, is equally indifferent to both, — the Gospel is secure. It may be fairly questioned whether this measure of protection or toleration would cover and include all that Christianity, as the one truth of God, has a right to demand, even were it fully and equally carried out.

Bannerman is a rare breed these days. He presents a treasure trove of what we should hope and believe will come to pass, "on Earth as it is in heaven." How few have this hope.

Is The Church of Christ as good as its reputation?
In my opinion it cannot have a high enough reputation. It, beyond any other book, convinced me of the scriptural requirement of presbyterian church government and order, having previously been Reformed Baptist. He has a way of proposing a point of doctrine which he then goes on to support and explain in a way that is very convincing and hard to reject. And that goes for the whole flow of the book, not just individual chapters. He "hooks" you with a truth, then draws you in with necessary extrapolations and applications of that truth, and then he has you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back