James Bannerman's Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Yes, it came today.

The Church of Christ: A Treatise on the Nature, Powers, Ordinances, Discipline, and Government of the Christian Church, first published in 1869, the year after Bannerman's death.

The Banner of Truth Trust has just republished this gem. It's the original 2 volumes, this time published as one volume, unabridged, completely re-typeset, with Latin, German, and French quotations translated into English. The biographical introduction by Iain H. Murray, published in previous printings (the Banner first republished the original 2 volumes in 1960) has been omitted this time around, but the volume has a new introduction by Carl Trueman.

The book contains Bannerman's classroom lectures regarding the church as delivered at New College, Edinburgh in the 1850s and '60s.

25 pages of introductory material, and 1,009 pages of text and index.

Yummy!

Last edited:
Mine came a couple of days ago. I'm not too far into it, but I like what I've read so far. I typically won't invest so much into a volume like this unless thoroughly convinced it will be worth my time.

Here's what convinced me,

An Evening Discussion on the Bride of Christ

Does Trueman mock Bannerman's Establishmentarianism in the introduction as he has in other venues in talking about this new printing?

He writes: "I doubt that any reader will agree with everything Bannerman has to say. Baptists and Congregationalists will repudiate his Presbyterianism. Many Presbyterians will now struggle with his advocacy of the Establishment Principle, which seems, today, at best a pious hope, at worst a hang-over from an outdated and now impractical model of church and state. Yet, the great thing about the book is that it will stimulate the reader to reflect on the nature of the church in a profoundly biblical and historically sensitive way." p. xv.

At least he didn't drop the C-word (Constantinianism).
Does Trueman mock Bannerman's Establishmentarianism in the introduction as he has in other venues in talking about this new printing?

He writes: "I doubt that any reader will agree with everything Bannerman has to say. Baptists and Congregationalists will repudiate his Presbyterianism. Many Presbyterians will now struggle with his advocacy of the Establishment Principle, which seems, today, at best a pious hope, at worst a hang-over from an outdated and now impractical model of church and state. Yet, the great thing about the book is that it will stimulate the reader to reflect on the nature of the church in a profoundly biblical and historically sensitive way." p. xv.

Bannerman provides the "Presbyterian" exposition of the doctrine of the church, with its government, discipline, ministry, worship, and sacraments, and its relation to the State. The value of the book is in its systematic treatment of the subject and in showing the way various aspects of the church harmoniously fit together. One may as well repudiate "wood" in a forest as repudiate the "Presbyterianism" of this book.

< big sigh > . . . . . .

Bannerman provides the "Presbyterian" exposition of the doctrine of the church, with its government, discipline, ministry, worship, and sacraments, and its relation to the State. The value of the book is in its systematic treatment of the subject and in showing the way various aspects of the church harmoniously fit together. One may as well repudiate "wood" in a forest as repudiate the "Presbyterianism" of this book.

That should have been a blurb on the dust jacket!

Bannerman's Establishmentarianism
Doesn't anyone out there believe in, yea long for, the Establishment of the one true religion?
Is pluralism the religion taught in the Bible? If so where? See my sig. for my hope...

Pardon me for reviving this thread, but I really wanted to know if there are any of you on the PB that share my hope.

BTW - I ordered my copy Saturday from Amazon. I have been looking for this set (now one volume) for over 10 years.

PS - I know you guys have discussed this before, so I am not hoping to have a protracted new discussion. I just feel lonely in my hope for the future. Numbers 13:30 and 14:6-8

Pardon me for reviving this thread, but I really wanted to know if there are any of you on the PB that share my hope.

This is my hope, as is expressed in Romans 15:8-13:

Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:
And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name.
And again he saith, Rejoice, ye Gentiles, with his people.
And again, Praise the Lord, all ye Gentiles; and laud him, all ye people.
And again, Esaias saith, There shall be a root of Jesse, and he that shall rise to reign over the Gentiles; in him shall the Gentiles trust.
Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.

Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:
And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name.
And again he saith, Rejoice, ye Gentiles, with his people.
And again, Praise the Lord, all ye Gentiles; and laud him, all ye people.
And again, Esaias saith, There shall be a root of Jesse, and he that shall rise to reign over the Gentiles; in him shall the Gentiles trust.
Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.

Amen.

To Dearly Bought and Matthew,

I couldn't agree more. This too is my greatest hope. That my name is written in heaven is also my chief joy. (Luke 10:20) I too look forward to enjoying Him forever. (SCQ 1) Both hear and hereafter through all eternity, Amen and Amen.

But you two must know that you changed the subject. A "chief" hope does not preclude secondary, temporal hopes. It is this future hope for the Church, the Jews and the world (implied early in this thread) that I am speaking of. I can only assume that you both disagree with me that there is anything really special in the maybe distant future to look foreword to in this life on earth. Correct me if I am wrong.

I did not expect many to say Amen to what I called "my hope." The ratio has always been 2 to 10 at best. (Numbers 13:31-32) I remember also what the Lord thought of the ten spies, (Numbers 14:1-12 ff) and what befell them (Numbers 14:36-37); also the future of the whole adult congregation that did not obey (i.e. believe). (Numbers 14:34,35) early in their wilderness journey in response to what I like to call the Great Commission of the Old Testament. ("...Canaan, which I give unto the children of Israel..." Numbers 13:2 and a number of other places)

Don't we have a much greater Great Commission?

Last edited:

Doesn't anyone out there believe in, yea long for, the Establishment of the one true religion?
Is pluralism the religion taught in the Bible? If so where? See my sig. for my hope...

Absolutely. There are three books, in my opinion, which are must reads:

1. The Puritan Hope, by Iain Murray;
2. Messiah the Prince, by William Symington;
3. Israel and the New Covenant, by Roderick Campbell.

I read the Murray book and the Symington book years ago, and right now I am about 75% complete with the Campbell book. This is a GREAT book, with some excellent insights I have not seen before.

The Campbell book is more obscure, having been written in 1954. The forward to the book is by Oswald Allis, who wrote Prophecy and the Church in 1946. The Campbell book was out of print for years, but was recently re-published with the assistance of American Vision.

All four of the books mentioned in this post are undoubtably Post-mil in their eschatology, which is why they have not received a wide audience. But their arguments from Scripture are powerful, and in my opinion quite convincing.

Campbell, even in 1954, laid it on the line; the reason for the problems in the world at his time and today are primarily if not exclusively a failure of the Church to not carry out the TRUE intent of the Great Commission - to DISCIPLE the nations, not merely evangelize them. The lack of a true, biblical worldview for the vast majority of evangelical Christians has caused severe damage to the mission of the Church.

Last edited:
It's my hope too that the authentic Christian religion will be established in all nations of the Earth, and I believe it will happen in history in God's good time.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

In our new town, I've recently met a pastor who is retiring and consequently selling his library. My family and I visited him last night to take a look. He had an untouched 1955 Eerdmans edition of Douglas Bannerman's (James's son) similar book, The Scripture Doctrine of the Church, which I picked up for $20.

I'm looking forward to going back to dig some more once my book allowance from our new church is in hand. :)

But I was delighted to stumble across it!

Last edited:
But you two must know that you changed the subject.

I thought the subject related to the nations being called to Christ in fulfilment of the promises made to the fathers. That is what I quoted from Romans as my hope. That the Gentiles -- ALL Gentiles -- shall trust in, rejoice in, and praise the Lord Jesus. Or, in the words of Rev. 15:4. "Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest." May the work of reformation continue until all the nations of the earth are for Christ, as true Protestant nations!

Embarrassed

I thought the subject related to the nations being called to Christ in fulfilment of the promises made to the fathers.

Matthew,

I am very sorry and embarrassed. I totally misread the passage. Please forgive me...

Ed

BTW - I ordered my copy Saturday from Amazon. I have been looking for this set (now one volume) for over 10 years.

PS - I know you guys have discussed this before, so I am not hoping to have a protracted new discussion. I just feel lonely in my hope for the future. Numbers 13:30 and 14:6-8

I'm with you Ed. It is one of our nation's great sins that it has rejected Christ as King in its constitution from its very inception. Praise God for Bannerman's solid teaching being preserved for future generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back