James Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet we got all those wonderful pork sausage products today! What? Oh, sorry. Here's to you 'the other' James Dean, you rebel without a cause. :tombstone:

Honest question to my elder members in here- What is the fascination with James Dean? It can't be his acting skills can it? Or is it like the Elvis thing; a star who died too soon?

I don't think there's any real fascination here. I think Andrew was just fulfilling his role as resident historian and upping his already astronomical post count. I was just trying to sound clever while upping my own very modest post count.

As far as other folks and their fascination with James Dean I think you're theories sound good to me. He was a national icon who represented the troubled teen and offered vicarious rebellion to thousands of rebel wannabes.

heh heh :D

My reason for posting about the anniversary of James Dean's death is simply that he was a cultural icon who fascinates many today. My own fascination is in his continuing appeal, not in what he stood for. His movies were memorable I think because he had a unique style (angst) and looked handsome with a leather jacket and a cigarette between his lips, but Bob has described the popular appeal quite well. His early death meant that he did not age like Elvis or Marlon Brando, so people always remember him as a young rebel. He glorified rebellion and that's not a good thing, but I think he had acting skills and as I say his movies were classics for good or for ill.

I'd be very interested to hear other thoughts about him. I have a general interest in Christian perspectives on American pop culture. My father teaches pop culture as a college professor but is not a Christian. Maybe the interest is genetic...or environmental...anyways, I think it's good for Christians to offer Biblical critiques of art and culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back