James Durham, Commentary upon Revelation vol. 1 prepub offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.naphtali.com/titles/npse/
Spread the word! This needs a lot of prepub orders. Naphtali Press is now offering the first title in the new Naphtali Press Special Editions series via prepub. James Durham, A Commentary upon the Book of the Revelation, volume 1, on chapters 1-3. 504pp. Hardbound, 7x10 format. $40 plus postage. Sorry USA only. I hope to have worldwide distribution nailed down soon. I couldn't do any better than the promotional video for Durham and the series as far as explaining the importance of this work to have in a new critical edition. This text has been corrected against the first edition, compared with a prior ten editions, and is collated against a surviving manuscript text from 1653. See the video below. Vol. 1 will have David Lachman's introduction from the 2000 Old Path's edition, and subsequent volumes will have updated biographical and bibliographical essays, and indexing in volume 3 will include an index of the errors in the 2000 edition (sadly, many).

I have read the equivalent of the new volume 1 in my copy of the Old Paths' edition of the commentary. Those of you who might be put off reading it because you disagree with James Durham's views of prophecy should at least read the first volume, as many of the doctrinal reflections are priceless. After doing so, you may as well get volumes 2 and 3 in due course.

Spurgeon commented that "After all that has been written, it would not be easy to find a more sensible and instructive work" and while disagreeing with Durham's interpretations of the "mysteries," says, "but the mystery of the gospel fills it with sweet savor." The lectures are much like his sermons, though most of the clues like the labels "application" and "use" which are present in the 1653 manuscript form of the lectures, largely drop out in the printed text of 1658. One benefit of this edition, in addition the many errors fixed that are in the 2000 Old Paths edition, is the collation against this surviving manuscript which as far as I know was just identified this past summer when I compared the text; the card catalog lists no author. Also, all the scholarly references are traced (such as Boyd on Ephesians, some messy ones that took time in Baxter, etc.).
I have read the equivalent of the new volume 1 in my copy of the Old Paths' edition of the commentary. Those of you who might be put off reading it because you disagree with James Durham's views of prophecy should at least read the first volume, as many of the doctrinal reflections are priceless. After doing so, you may as well get volumes 2 and 3 in due course.

I'll be pushing this frequently; we need about 150 prepub or sponsorship orders to get the minimum print run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back