James Durham on the error of visible representations of divine persons

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I noted elsewhere: I have heard (and read) it argued that pictures of Jesus must be okay because people will inevitably think of what Christ must have looked like during his humiliation. Even if that assertion is true (I deny that it is), how would it prove that such images are morally unobjectionable? After all, many people mistakenly assume that God is an old man with a long beard and this erroneous image springs to mind whenever they think of God. Their proneness to such idolatrous thoughts does not make such idolatrous thinking sinless.

As I noted elsewhere: I have heard (and read) it argued that pictures of Jesus must be okay because people will inevitably think of what Christ must have looked like during his humiliation. Even if that assertion is true (I deny that it is), how would it prove that such images are morally unobjectionable? After all, many people mistakenly assume that God is an old man with a long beard and this erroneous image springs to mind whenever they think of God. Their proneness to such idolatrous thoughts does not make such idolatrous thinking sinless.
People imagine such things, probably, because they're taught to. I grew up with images all over the place at church, at home, on those weird felt boards they had in Sunday school... I still struggle with such images in my mind. And those images are sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back