James Gibson on the psalms as the songs of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... To sing these psalms with our gospel light, is to enjoy the communion of saints from the beginning of the church on earth even until now — a communion in praise, at least, which sectarian hymns from their very nature completely destroy, and raise the spirit of controversy rather than kindle the lofty flame of pure devotion. Who does not know what is the child’s true hymn — “The Lord’s my Shepherd?” What child does not know who He was — the great and the good Shepherd, who giveth His life for the sheep, and who “carrieth the lambs in His bosom;” and who said, “Suffer the little children to come unto me”? ...

For more, see:

Last edited by a moderator:
... To sing these psalms with our gospel light, is to enjoy the communion of saints from the beginning of the church on earth even until now — a communion in praise, at least, which sectarian hymns from their very nature completely destroy, and raise the spirit of controversy rather than kindle the lofty flame of pure devotion.
This is, in my estimation, a poignant argument for psalm singing that is often overlooked. Though I have no doubt that the Psalms have more of Christ in them than any hymn or collection thereof (as amply proven by a close study of the book of Hebrews, let alone the rest of the apostolic record), the clamour for more of Christ (as we understand him) in our music misapprehends our place in church history.

Though Israel received the law as a child for their instruction, they were also our librarians (pace Augustine) to whom were committed the oracles of God (Romans 3:2). We forget, in fact, that we are the branches that are grafted in (Romans 11) and stand with them in one holy tree, for it is we that were alienated from it (Ephesians 2:12ff.). As such our songs must serve to make us one body in Christ.

The psalms are written by our elder brothers (inspired by the eldest) to reflect something of the old covenant, reminding us where we came from and thus where we are going. But they also sing prophetically of Christ in a way that was also somewhat unknown to them so that they would look to the future, even to the time when the tents of Japheth would be enfolded into the tents of Shem (which from that point of the composition of these songs had not yet occurred). Psalm 67, 110 etc. Furthermore, they speak to the end of all things, when even this world, as it now stands, will be behind us (Psalms 1, 98 etc.). The Psalms bring then, the past, present and future together in a way that appeals not merely to the Jew, Gentile or one kind of person or another, but to the singularity that is the one kingdom of God in one king, Jesus Christ, descendant of David, of the tribe of Judah, and of the family of Abraham.

This is, in my estimation, a poignant argument for psalm singing that is often overlooked. Though I have no doubt that the Psalms have more of Christ in them than any hymn or collection thereof (as amply proven by a close study of the book of Hebrews, let alone the rest of the apostolic record), the clamour for more of Christ (as we understand him) in our music misapprehends our place in church history.

Amen!

What you, Rev. Kok, wrote above was the finishing touch to what I already relished about singing the Psalms.

I realized the joy and benefit of singing the Psalms in what was, for me, a startling way while riding my motorcycle roughly 22 years ago.
Some found it helpful, so I am posting a link to my post in a thread from earlier this year.

As such our songs must serve to make us one body in Christ.
I believe that this, too, is often overlooked as a reason for singing Psalms - all singing the same inspired hymns, songs, and psalms. In discussions with non-EP folk, I often mention that I could not in good conscience sing their hymns instead of the Psalms and ask if they feel the same in reverse. I have never had anyone say their conscience would trouble them to sing Psalms instead of hymns. I think such a question strips bare this issue of unity.

I realized the joy and benefit of singing the Psalms in what was, for me, a startling way
At the end of introducing or defending EP, I usually end by offering this thought: the best argument for singing the Psalms is singing the Psalms. This was my experience - the theological rationale came later. There is an experiential aspect that is overlooked (or discounted for being too "touchy-feely" an argument for Reformed folk?). It is rare to find someone who tries singing Psalms and then wants to go back to uninspired verse.

To link what I've quoted from you gentlemen, what do you think would happen if all God's people all sang Psalms exclusively in public worship for a month? I strongly suspect there would be a glorious amount of reformation and revival in our lands.

At the end of introducing or defending EP, I usually end by offering this thought: the best argument for singing the Psalms is singing the Psalms. This was my experience - the theological rationale came later. There is an experiential aspect that is overlooked (or discounted for being too "touchy-feely" an argument for Reformed folk?). It is rare to find someone who tries singing Psalms and then wants to go back to uninspired verse.

To link what I've quoted from you gentlemen, what do you think would happen if all God's people all sang Psalms exclusively in public worship for a month? I strongly suspect there would be a glorious amount of reformation and revival in our lands.

These thoughts of yours do bring tears to my eyes. I believe that the Oneness of the Church is prophesied because prayed for by our Lord three times in John 17. Would anyone dare to say that Jesus' prayers for a visible Oneness were just wishful thinking? I will add further that only a blind fool would proclaim that what we see now is the fulfillment of that Oneness for which He prayed.

Jesus is the Savor of the World. The less likely a literal fulfillment of this proclamation seems, the more glory God will get by its coming to pass. All hail to Thee King Jesus. Thou art the ruler of the Universe–the Master of all Creation. As You have said–so it will be so. Your greatness and glory are, "above all, blessing and praise."

Nehemiah 9:5-6​
"Then the Levites, Jeshua, and Kadmiel, Bani, Hashabniah, Sherebiah, Hodijah, Shebaniah, and Pethahiah, said, Stand up and bless the LORD your God forever and ever: and blessed be thy glorious name, which is exalted above all blessing and praise. Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back